Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Chips: Your favorite brand/flavor ever?

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I'd love the chicken and waffles ones but really couldn't stand them. Haven't tried the others, but I know I wouldn't like Sriracha so I'm glad that the garlic bread ones won so I can try them.

Reaction score
Doritos has finally brought back Black Pepper Jack flavour - of course, it's for a limited time only. Bastards; they're the best doritos ever, IMO.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In news about chip brands familiar only to me and Venkman and the one guy here from Atlantic Canada, Humpty Dumpty has two new limited edition flavors; Chili and Sour Cream and Buffalo Wing and Blue Cheese. The latter has been done before by other brands but I'm somewhat intrigued to check out the former.

daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet
Reaction score
Sunchips and Fritos are my grand favorite. BBQ flavored and Salt and Pepper are honorable mentions in the potato chips department.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MFer said:
Cheesy Garlic Bread won the Lay's contest, which is excellent because that's the only kind I didn't get to try.

Finally got my hands on those suckers. I can see why it won, not too bad. I almost wanted more garlic flavor, but oh well.

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just in time for the NFL (at least for my purposes, since it's when I really go off the rails with junk food), Lay's have their four Do Us A Flavour finalists:

* Perogie Platter
* Maple Moose (!?)
* Grilled Cheese with Ketchup
* Caesar Salad

I'll be trying all four Sunday.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwbeAa9tD8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLcSlM14Di4

BIRDMAN!

there are so many morbidly obese people on youtube reviewing junk food

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
CanadianGuitarist said:
Just in time for the NFL (at least for my purposes, since it's when I really go off the rails with junk food), Lay's have their four Do Us A Flavour finalists:

* Perogie Platter
* Maple Moose (!?)
* Caesar Salad

I've tried two thus far
- Maple Moose does not taste like maple syrup. It does not taste like bacon. It tastes burnt. Honestly, there's no saving this one.
- Grilled cheese with ketchup doesn't have much ketchup flavour, but does have a taste similar to American cheese. I think if you try maybe a 5:1 ratio with ketchup chips you'll get the desired effect. It's not great, but points for more or less giving you the impression of grilled cheese.

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
starvenger said:
CanadianGuitarist said:

* Perogie Platter
* Maple Moose (!?)
* Caesar Salad

I've tried two thus far
- Maple Moose does not taste like maple syrup. It does not taste like bacon. It tastes burnt. Honestly, there's no saving this one.
- Grilled cheese with ketchup doesn't have much ketchup flavour, but does have a taste similar to American cheese. I think if you try maybe a 5:1 ratio with ketchup chips you'll get the desired effect. It's not great, but points for more or less giving you the impression of grilled cheese.

I had the same two yesterday. Spot on about Maple Moose. It was a burned taste, yeah. I had one handful and that was more than enough. It was bitter and sweet simultaneously. Disgusting.

Liked the Grilled Cheese with Ketchup, but they also tasted a little sweet. I had about a third of the bag to myself. My dad and bro were here, but there's still half a bag. Surprisingly, we tore through the plate of cheese, crackers and sausage.

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Managed to get my hands on the pirogi (sp?) platter, which for some reason is called "pirogi with bacon and onion" in French. Bacon flavour is definitely there. Onion is a bit muted. Could've used some sour cream flavour in there.

I don't know that I would be able to say "yeah, that's a pirogi" so I don't think it's a success from that perspective but I think I would eat it again.

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
starvenger said:
Managed to get my hands on the pirogi (sp?) platter, which for some reason is called "pirogi with bacon and onion" in French. Bacon flavour is definitely there. Onion is a bit muted. Could've used some sour cream flavour in there.

I don't know that I would be able to say "yeah, that's a pirogi" so I don't think it's a success from that perspective but I think I would eat it again.

I've really struggled to find them, yeah. I've been to five grocery stores for various things the last two weeks, and not one bag to be had. Lots of the first two flavours. I still haven't tried the Caesar Salad, although it seems a little silly, as I'm trying to eat better and eating lots of salad anyhow.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
CanadianGuitarist said:
I still haven't tried the Caesar Salad, although it seems a little silly, as I'm trying to eat better and eating lots of salad anyhow.

lol

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For the record, Maple Moose won and I couldn't find a bag of Caesar Salad anywhere. Curiously, there always seemed to be Maple Moose on the shelves.

I will also say that the Kettle Brand Maple Bacon tastes much more like maple syrup than Maple Moose. I can't really taste any bacon smokiness, but 1/2 is better than whatever the fuck Lays gave us.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
In news about chip brands familiar only to me and Venkman and the one guy here from Atlantic Canada, Humpty Dumpty has two new limited edition flavors; Chili and Sour Cream and Buffalo Wing and Blue Cheese. The latter has been done before by other brands but I'm somewhat intrigued to check out the former.

I guess they aren't limited edition because they're still here two+ months later. Chilli & Sour Cream are really pretty darn good. They remind me of some no longer in existence Lays flavor from a few years back that I just can't remember its name. I still haven't had Buffalo Wing & Blue Cheese but as much as I love Buffalo Wings, Buffalo Wing flavored stuff has never really done it for me.

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
starvenger said:
For the record, Maple Moose won and I couldn't find a bag of Caesar Salad anywhere. Curiously, there always seemed to be Maple Moose on the shelves.

I will also say that the Kettle Brand Maple Bacon tastes much more like maple syrup than Maple Moose. I can't really taste any bacon smokiness, but 1/2 is better than whatever the fuck Lays gave us.
Update: President's choice also has a Maple Bacon flavour. It's not as sweet as the Kettle Brand, and more bacon-y than maple-y, but still much better than that Lay's abomination.

Also tried the PC Poutine flavour. Gotta say, I think they nailed it. Cheese curds in poutine usually have something of a neutral flavour, so if you like bold cheese flavour this is not for you. But the gravy flavour is definitely there, and overall it tastes like poutine on a potato chip.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
cheddar-horseradish-chips.png

Eatin' these bad boys now. I'm actually quite surprised. I thought it'd taste like cheddar with a hint of horseradish but it's really the other way around. I'm glad I really like horseradish (probably my favorite condiment) because I don't see anybody who is on the fence about horsey sauce enjoying these!

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
starvenger said:
starvenger said:

Update: President's choice also has a Maple Bacon flavour. It's not as sweet as the Kettle Brand, and more bacon-y than maple-y, but still much better than that Lay's abomination.

Also tried the PC Poutine flavour. Gotta say, I think they nailed it. Cheese curds in poutine usually have something of a neutral flavour, so if you like bold cheese flavour this is not for you. But the gravy flavour is definitely there, and overall it tastes like poutine on a potato chip.

I'm reasonably sure it was Lay's who had a "chips 'n' gravy" flavour in the 90's. They never really caught on.

I'll have a look for these PC Poutine chips when I do groceries Friday. They've had some good stuff with the World of Flavours, and even the ones I turned out not to like were unique enough I couldn't but try a bag.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many people get Cape Cod Potato Chips (I think it's mostly New England with a few other parts of the East Coast) but they replaced their Cheddar & Sour Cream flavor chips with an Aged White Cheddar & Sour Cream flavor.

It seems like a good way to gussy up a lateral move here.

"Oh, I'd never eat Cheddar & Sour Cream flavor chips but Aged White Cheddar & Sour Cream? Sign me up!"

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
jalapeno-kettle-cooked-1.png

Bought these the other day. I'm not a huge Wise fan (even though they were prominently featured in Ghostbusters) but these are great. Maybe the best jalapeno flavored chip I've had. And they're only $2 a bag which is awesome since similarly sized bags of kettle chips from Cape Cod and Lay's are $1.50 to $2 more.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
Anyone try any of the "Test Flavor" Doritos? Hadn't heard of em then went into a store and saw three different ones, picked one of em up but haven't opened the bag yet.

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
CletusVanDamme said:
Anyone try any of the "Test Flavor" Doritos? Hadn't heard of em then went into a store and saw three different ones, picked one of em up but haven't opened the bag yet.
Haven't, but can't be any worse then the flavours Lays had last year for their contest.

Still can't believe Maple Moose won.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
CletusVanDamme said:

I've had 2 out of the three. Both are okay (i prefer red), but they can ease up on the spice powders. Way too overbearing.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Had all three. Like blue the most, but that appears to be the least favorite among the masses. It had some smokiness to it. Red is just a regular spicy chip to me. Orange has some fruity type flavor.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried those new Lay's contest chips. The verdict?

Mango Salsa (Wavy): I smell mango, I taste mango, but it still ain't right.
Bacon Mac & Cheese: Good enough, but not dissimilar from other chips I've had before.
Cappuccino: No, just no.
Wasabi Ginger (Kettle Cooked): Not as spicy as I was expecting, but still pretty good. I'd vote for those.