Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Chips: Your favorite brand/flavor ever?

Star Ocean 2

Star Ocean 2
Reaction score
The Bacon Macaroni and Cheese one doesn't really taste like bacon, or macaroni and cheese. It has a good flavor, but if I just tasted it blind I'd have thought it's another bbq flavor or something.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
...I like the Cappuccino flavored ones. It's very unique. Not what you'd expect from a potato chip but pretty good. A little of them go a long way but a lot better than I expected.

Didn't really care for the Mango Salsa ones at all. I had a handful at a party. Not terrible, if somebody had a bowl of them at another party, I'd have a few but nothing I'd buy again.

I can't find the Bacon Mac & Cheese ones anywhere. Have a bag of Wasabi Ginger. Will report later in this thread.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
At least in my area, this round of new Lay's flavors has been easier to track down than the previous one. The front of Kroger's was well-stocked with all four varieties.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
MFer said:
I tried those new Lay's contest chips. The verdict?

Mango Salsa (Wavy): I smell mango, I taste mango, but it still ain't right.
Bacon Mac & Cheese: Good enough, but not dissimilar from other chips I've had before.
Cappuccino: No, just no.
Wasabi Ginger (Kettle Cooked): Not as spicy as I was expecting, but still pretty good. I'd vote for those.

We have different ones in Canada:

Tzatziki
Jalapeno Mac N Cheese
Cinnamon Bun (WTF IS THIS, probably our version of the Cappuccino)
Bacon Poutine

I haven't tried any of them, I think they'll all probably be p. good aside from the Cinnamon Bun one.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
MFer said:
At least in my area, this round of new Lay's flavors has been easier to track down than the previous one. The front of Kroger's was well-stocked with all four varieties.
There were a ton of Cappuccino at the grocery store not surprisingly. A lot of Mango Salsa too. Not much of Wasabi Ginger and no Bacon Mac & Cheese.

At Walgreen's, they had a lot of Cappuccino and some Wasabi Ginger and a few bags here and there of the Mango Salsa. No Bacon Mac & Cheese there and for whatever reason, Walgreen's only had fun sized bags. Which is fine because I don't need to eat a ton of this stuff anyway...

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Someone had me try one from their bag of the bacon Mac and cheese ones but I have yet to see them in the store. That is the one most appealing to me. No interest in the others.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
IMG_5776.jpg

Anyone try out Paqui tortilla chips yet? I've only had the Roasted Jalapeno, which is really good and not too spicy. A friend braved the Haunted Ghost Pepper and said he couldn't eat more than a couple of chips in one sitting.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
HSJ said:
I had the Cappuccino chips and they were god awful.

I spit out both the Cappuccino and Mango chips. Completely disgusting and inedible.

Bacon Mac N Cheese were okay, kind of a generic cheese chip. Wasabi Ginger was my favorite and the flavor was surprisingly mild with a great aftertaste. Not very spicy at all.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The bacon poutine Lays aren't great but they're probably the closest you'll get to tasting poutine flavor in a potato chip.

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
SEX SUGAR said:
MFer said:

Bacon Mac & Cheese: Good enough, but not dissimilar from other chips I've had before.
Wasabi Ginger (Kettle Cooked): Not as spicy as I was expecting, but still pretty good. I'd vote for those.

Tzatziki
Jalapeno Mac N Cheese
Bacon Poutine

I haven't tried any of them, I think they'll all probably be p. good aside from the Cinnamon Bun one.
Haven't tried any, but this will not stop me from making snap judgements.

I think Loblaws had already rolled out Tzatziki and Poutine flavours with their PC chips, so I'd expect something similar but more bland.

Cinnamon Bun I'd assume would be taking the cinnamon sugar flavour you can find on popcorn and transferring to chips. Simple but not necessarily a great idea.

Jalapeno Mac N Cheese... Lays already has a Jalapeno Cheddar kettle chip, no? So this will taste the same except more pasta-like?

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
starvenger said:
SEX SUGAR said:
MFer said:

Tzatziki
Jalapeno Mac N Cheese
Bacon Poutine

I think Loblaws had already rolled out Tzatziki and Poutine flavours with their PC chips, so I'd expect something similar but more bland.

Cinnamon Bun I'd assume would be taking the cinnamon sugar flavour you can find on popcorn and transferring to chips. Simple but not necessarily a great idea.

Jalapeno Mac N Cheese... Lays already has a Jalapeno Cheddar kettle chip, no? So this will taste the same except more pasta-like?

As with 2013, I'm gonna buy a bag of each of these on Week One of the NFL. Unlike 2013, I'm not all that eager to try any one of these.

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
CanadianGuitarist said:
starvenger said:
SEX SUGAR said:
MFer said:

Tzatziki
Jalapeno Mac N Cheese
Bacon Poutine

As with 2013, I'm gonna buy a bag of each of these on Week One of the NFL. Unlike 2013, I'm not all that eager to try any one of these.
My company buys us snacks and beer on Fridays and so we got the Jalapeno Mac N Cheese. Impressive in its lack of flavour. I think they went a bit too far to try and get the "mac" component in there, and the chip as a whole suffers for it. For comparison, buy the Kettle Cooked Jalapeno Cheddar. 2/10

Also I bought the Tzatziki and Cinnamon Bun to try at home. I thought of buying the poutine flavour, but let's face it. It's gonna win regardless of how it tastes.

Cinnamon Bun does not have as much cinnamon sugar flavour as I would've expected. It does have the expected cinnamon bun flavours - cinnamon, icing sugar and buttery bun. So I suppose it's a success on that front. Still, could use more flavour. 5/10

Tzatziki, for whatever reason, is a kettle chip. This one is probably best described as sour cream and dill. The dill flavour is perhaps a bit too strong but considering that the other two had little flavour (or none at all) this is perhaps not a bad thing. Overall I think this is something that could be on the shelves now. 7/10

(As an aside, the winning Maple Moose chips from last year lasted about 4 months on the shelves before they were discontinued.)

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
OK so I did end up buying the poutine flavour. Definite gravy and bacon flavour in there. I don't know how you can simulate cheese curds that, let's be honest, aren't particularly flavourful, so I'm not gonna get picky about that. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised about this one. I think I like the Tzatziki flavour better, but this chip wouldn''t be out of place in some bacon-themed party or something. 6/10

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What's the tzatziki taste like? I would figure something like a creamy dill flavor, not sure how you could get a chip to get a cucumber taste to it.

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lord of The Curry said:
What's the tzatziki taste like? I would figure something like a creamy dill flavor, not sure how you could get a chip to get a cucumber taste to it.
That's pretty much it. Creamy dill.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
We don't have a wide variety of Cape Cod out here but these ones are fantastic in my recent eating of my feelings:

wafflebuffalo-01.png

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I tried those too recently and was going to post about them! Buffalo Wing flavored chips are generally more miss than hit for me but I thought these were great. Perfect balance between the buffalo sauce and the cheese/dipping sauce flavors.Probably best new chip flavor I've had all year.

51htLkZcR8L.jpg

Had these last night for the first time in a few years. Drinking was involved. If you can't tell it's barbecue, Sour Cream & Onion, Salt & Vinegar and Ketchup (because it's a Canadian chip company...) flavors all in one chip. Textbook example of chips that taste great if you have a few handfuls when you're five Coors Lights deep but not so great when you wake up the next day and have to eat the other half of the bag.

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
Textbook example of chips that taste great if you have a few handfuls when you're five Coors Lights deep but not so great when you wake up the next day and have to eat the other half of the bag.
You're probably like me and are loath to throw out perfectly edible (that is, not spoiled) food, but sometimes you just have to do it.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
I tried those too recently and was going to post about them! Buffalo Wing flavored chips are generally more miss than hit for me but I thought these were great. Perfect balance between the buffalo sauce and the cheese/dipping sauce flavors.Probably best new chip flavor I've had all year.

51htLkZcR8L.jpg

Had these last night for the first time in a few years. Drinking was involved. If you can't tell it's barbecue, Sour Cream & Onion, Salt & Vinegar and Ketchup (because it's a Canadian chip company...) flavors all in one chip. Textbook example of chips that taste great if you have a few handfuls when you're five Coors Lights deep but not so great when you wake up the next day and have to eat the other half of the bag.

If five Coors Light's will get you tipsy enough to alter the taste of food I guess you don't drink beer much, huh?

starvenger

Integral Poster
Reaction score
King Kamala said:
I usually drink Bud Lime A Ritas. Please reference the Walgreens thread in GTG.
I'm not certain what a Bud Lime A Rita is but it does not sound appealing to me.

To be honest, I'm not certain what a Lime A Rita is either, but if it involves tequila, a lime and a girl named Rita I may have done that in my college days...

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Bud Ritas are apparently the premiere party drink. I was at a birthday party in Pennsylvania this past weekend and damned if everyone there minus me weren't rocking a Raz or Mango Rita.

claydude14

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They do pack 8% alcohol, so they have that going for them. But if you're gonna drink one go for a tallboy, the cans that come in the 18 packs are tiny.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My poor mother. I mentioned some of the random imports I grabbed at the "build your own 6pack" Section of our higher end grocery store. She did not understand the concept. I said, "You grab 6 different beers to try, pay one price, and if you don't like one at least you didn't buy the entire 6 pack."

"Oh! Cool! Can you get me a Bud Light Lime A Rita to try next time you go." :eek: Sure, mom, sure.

On topic: She has a sealed package of Dill pickle chips over there that I might steal next time I go check on her.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Just tried Cinnamon Bun. I don't know about anyone else's, but mine was like exactly like a cinnamon bun. It was so weird.

My favorite chip was an actual chip called Taco Chip. I don't remember who made it, but it was my damn favorite. This was like a few years back.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Finally got the Bacon Mac & Cheese Lays Flavors at a country ass, rinky dink grocery store in Jay, Maine. Grocery store didn't even have French Onion Sun Chips..but somehow had three different kinds of Utz BBQ chips (Pit BBQ, Baby Back Ribs, and regular BBQ).

I totally agree with whoever here said the Bacon Mac & Cheese good, maybe even really good but just like the Cheddar & Sour Cream Flavor.

So now having had all four, I rank them from best to worst
1. Wasabi Ginger
2. Bacon Mac & Cheese
3. Cappuccino (I thought this was about as good as you could make a coffee flavored chip but I don't ever see myself really getting a jones for some coffee flavored chips...ever. And I think America agrees. There's bags and bags of this at every drug store & grocery store in America)
4. Mango Salsa (I don't know what I didn't really like about these things. Mango Salsa, on paper, seems like it's an inoffensive, middle of the pack option but I thought these just kind of sucked. I think first mistake was making them wavy.)