Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Hamas attacks Israel, 100s dead

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

JERUSALEM (AP) — Hamas militants fired thousands of rockets and sent dozens of fighters into Israeli towns near the Gaza Strip in an unprecedented surprise early morning attack during a major Jewish holiday Saturday, killing dozens and stunning the country. Israel said it is now at war with Hamas and launched airstrikes in Gaza, vowing to inflict an “unprecedented price.”

Hours after the incursion began, Israeli troops were still fighting Hamas gunmen in 22 locations near the Gaza Strip, including towns and other communities, army spokesman Daniel Hagari said — a startling sign of the breadth of the assault.

Israel’s national rescue service said at least 100 people were killed and hundreds wounded, making it the deadliest attack in Israel in years. An unknown number of Israeli soldiers and civilians were also taken captive and brought into Gaza, an enormously sensitive issue for Israel. Hagari said militants were also holding hostages in standoffs in two towns, Beeri and Ofakim, which is 15 miles (24 kilometers) from the Gaza border.

At least 198 people in the Gaza Strip have been killed and at least 1,610 wounded in Israel’s retaliation, the Palestinian Health Ministry said. After nightfall, airstrikes intensified, flattening several residential buildings in giant explosions, including a 14-story tower that held dozens of apartments as well as Hamas offices in central Gaza City. Israeli fired a warning just before, and the number of casualties was not immediately known.

Obviously a huge story.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
The amount of progressives celebrating this is disgusting and just makes me more certain about all the ways I feel about other supposedly liberal people that the mainstream media is too afraid to acknowledge.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Anyone who can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've always been very sympathetic to the Palestinian cause but Hamas is evil and this attack has done more to set back any possibility of peace than anything in a generation if not more. Israel is going to have no choice but to launch a ground invasion of Gaza. The US will surely send forces in to get its hostages out.

Someone fucked up here in announcing this too soon or something. Backing off it is a terrible look though.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Wow. This is bad. I can totally get sympathizing with the plight of Palestine and the innocent civilians who have endured atrocities of their own. But, to put in the image of Hamas paragliding into Israel is sick. How can anyone sympathize with a group that just brutally murdered civilians at a music festival?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It is kind of illustrating how quickly and easily misinformation spreads.

If anything positive has come out of these atrocities, it’s finally reminded me to unfollow Shaun King on all social media platforms. For some reason, he was lingering on my IG after I unfollowed him on Facebook and Twitter. Whoops.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That report also says they're confident it did happen. Second there are literal survivor testimony to the mass rapes at the rave party.

The focus on whether the babies were "beheaded" is fucking stupid. These are murdered babies, children and women. They were brutally fucking tortured and murdered. There is zero question this happened. The focus on if they were beheaded or not is an attempt to divert attention and play word games.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bernie makes some great points and I agree with most of it but I think it doesn't do enough to acknowledge how complicated the situation is.

It's easy to say Israel needs to show restraint in their response (and so far they have been) but exactly what does that mean? How should they respond? Israel basically has to fight with both hands tied behind its back because of the tactics Hamas uses. That doesn't excuse the war crimes Israel has committed and will surely commit again but it adds context.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about how I feel about the entire issue since this started and while I still believe Israel is an apartheid state and the treatment of Palestinians is completely wrong, I also think a lot of the current generation on both sides are caught up in a trap created by the actions of the past and there isn't a way out.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This just feels like deja vu all over again like 9/11 and the War on Terror.

Hamas deserves to be punished just as Al Qaeda did but how many innocent lives will be lost unnecessarily in the process? How much time, money and energy is going to be wasted and how much further is it going to set back Israel (and by proxy US) relationships with the Middle East?

Fact that Israel has an aspiring dictator goon in charge makes me that much more anxious. It’s hard not to feel like we are headed for World War III but I GUESS that is nothing unusual for the past 75 years (save for a few years in the ‘90s).

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

just to put this to bed.

This just feels like deja vu all over again like 9/11 and the War on Terror.

Hamas deserves to be punished just as Al Qaeda did but how many innocent lives will be lost unnecessarily in the process? How much time, money and energy is going to be wasted and how much further is it going to set back Israel (and by proxy US) relationships with the Middle East?

Fact that Israel has an aspiring dictator goon in charge makes me that much more anxious. It’s hard not to feel like we are headed for World War III but I GUESS that is nothing unusual for the past 75 years (save for a few years in the ‘90s).

There's a few obvious differences. Israel lives next DOOR to the people who attacked them. They don't have an option about whether to fight or not. Now did they create a lot of this situation themselves? Yes absolutely or at least previous generations did. That said though Israel is in a much weaker position than the US has ever been in. Money and energy aren't even a factor to them.

As far as relations with the rest of the Middle East, Egypt is actively working with Israel on this. They hate Hamas almost as much. Most of the major players in the region were about to recognize Israel and that is why Hamas attacked. The new leaders in the Middle East are ready to move on from this shit because they don't ahve the same emotive connection to the cause as their fathers and grandfathers did. As long as Israel doesn't go too far or look weak they'll stick to making statements or sanctions to appease their fanatics and then go back to business as usual.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I do hope the US is trying to convince Israel privately to turn back on the water and power to Gaza. You just can't have a situation where one nation can deprive millions of people of water, or make it so that civilians can't get treatment in a hospital.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It is kind of illustrating how quickly and easily misinformation spreads.
Well, that and mainstream media just sorta looking the other way that the Israel is an apartheid state and is doing an ethnic cleansing on the people of Gaza.

Yes, you can believe both that and that Hamas is doing terrible things. You can also believe that as well as thinking Benjamin Netanyahu should be on trial for war crimes.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been really torn up about all of this tbh. I've been questioning parts of my beliefs on the issue and going back on forth trying to come up with some kind of opinion that actually makes sense and I just get more confused. The history is just so complicated and fucked up. This is 3,000 years of interwoven shit not just 100. Both Israel and Palestine are guilty of horrible crimes and they're both victims. How can you ever unravel this shit? I don't see it. Both groups have sizable minorities that will never accept the existence of the other and want to eradicate each other and those minorities have hijacked control of the issue.