Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Hollywood Under Fire For Sexual Assault

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Guy always gave me uneasy vibes watching him on interviews. He always came off very smug and arrogant and on a Conan interview I saw kept interrupting the other guest when he already had his interview. I always had an irrational dislike of him and I guess it was justified. Him and Miller (Even before the Me Too stuff came out, I just never liked his asshole slacker shtick) are the reasons why I never started Silicon Valley despite loving a lot of Mike Judge's other work and liking some of the other cast members.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lot of interesting questions raised by this article about whether or not Scott Rudin will get canceled for being an abusive asshole (but not in a sexual sense).

I'm guessing that Hollywood sees the fact that he's no longer working on blockbuster movies and has to "slum it" with A24 and Broadway stuff is punishment enough.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
The eagerness to cancel people has made the whole thing lack meaning by now. I guess that's historically true anyway. That said where is Larry Clark or Lars Von Trier at because by now they should be buried.
I remember re-watching “Bully” like two years ago and thinking “how has this man not been outed as a sex pest?”

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
The eagerness to cancel people has made the whole thing lack meaning by now. I guess that's historically true anyway. That said where is Larry Clark or Lars Von Trier at because by now they should be buried.
A lot of good has come from the movement, but things have gotten watered down, and it's been hurt by that cancelling eagerness. It really started out as a good way to bring to light people doing terrible things (Cosby, Weinstein etc...) but as it has expanded you now can't go a day without the call for someone to be cancelled for something. The other day on Yahoo 3 of the top 10 stories were calls for cancellations over things that aren't even crimes. When stuff like "david letterman being mean to lindsey lohan" starts getting grouped together with real bad stuff like what Weinstein did it hurts the movement.

It's like the analogy they use around war where the soldier sees the one dead body and breaks down. But, after awhile when he sees 100s piled on each other he doesn't care because he's become so desensitized. There are so many calls for cancelling things at this point that it's lost impact.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
A lot of good has come from the movement, but things have gotten watered down, and it's been hurt by that cancelling eagerness. It really started out as a good way to bring to light people doing terrible things (Cosby, Weinstein etc...) but as it has expanded you now can't go a day without the call for someone to be cancelled for something. The other day on Yahoo 3 of the top 10 stories were calls for cancellations over things that aren't even crimes. When stuff like "david letterman being mean to lindsey lohan" starts getting grouped together with real bad stuff like what Weinstein did it hurts the movement.

It's like the analogy they use around war where the soldier sees the one dead body and breaks down. But, after awhile when he sees 100s piled on each other he doesn't care because he's become so desensitized. There are so many calls for cancelling things at this point that it's lost impact.
Part of it is that social media (especially Twitter) can be super unforgiving. Like, if somebody said something fucked up a whiles back and has since changed for the better...too bad because that could end up ruining your career or life in ruins. I'm all for holding shitty people like say, Steven Crowder accountable, but somebody who isn't shitty shouldn't have their lives under a microscope because they said something dumb years ago. People can change, and the sooner we accept that the better. Plus, we should be going after people we know are violent racists/sex pests/etc instead of, I dunno, some celebrity most people could care less about (Chris Pratt* for instance)

*No, I'm not defending him. I'm just saying we have bigger fish to fry.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The level of eagerness vs what said eagerness does to the trauma of victims is what's disgusting to me. It has become less about doing the right thing and more about just the idea of cancelling someone because no one has been cancelled in a while. The Letterman thing, for example, accomplished nothing other than potentially making someone who was the victim of a Letterman interview be reminded of how bad they felt and how no one gave a shit until ten years later. Why risk doing that to someone you consider victimized? Why make them relive a horrible, possibly traumatic (as far as you go) experience both on video and in front of millions more years later? That's fucked up.

Cosby, Weinstein, Spacey, Singer, and pretty much everyone mentioned in this thread deserved it and got cancelled. They deserve fucking worse than cancellation. But trying to cancel people who were mean to someone you like is potentially dangerous and generally stupid. Won't top the anger certain people had for being mean to Adam Driver in an interview that one time, though.

Gary

None So Vile
Reaction score
While I'm at it...forgive me for sounding like a grumpy old man, but terms like "canceled" annoy me. I mean, I used to tie an onion around my belt...

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
David Letterman's treatment of Lindsey Lohan was being used (by most people) as an example of how she and other women have been treated by the media. It was completely fair. I like Letterman but he was guilty of being a complete jackass on numerous occasions.

The number of people who are trying to "cancel" people who may not deserve it is not that big. It's a hardcore base of people on social media that is amplified by the media. It is not worth the handwringing. Especially not compared to the good that has been done.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Verbal and emotional abuse from employers (like it sounds what Rudin is accused) is something that shouldn't be tolerated but considering how many people my age (let alone boomers) take a "Just suck it up or quit" type of attitude towards that thing, I kind of doubt it'll lead to any sort of consequences.

Also cancel culture isn't actually a thing! Some of you sound like Bari Weiss.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I'm torn on so much of this, because I agree that outing sexual predators and letting known assholes be exposed as such is a good thing across the board, but I don't agree with attempting to take away somebody's livelihood because they said something years ago that is considered mean by current standards.

Yeah, Letterman/Lohan was rude and super cringe and uncomfortable. That kind of shit deserves to be analyzed by current standards so we can grow as a culture. Similarly, this ongoing attitude of moral outrage has been shown to push the cultural pendulum in the other direction, often with stark consequences short and long term.

I guess what I'm trying to say, overall, is that shitty people deserve to be called out for being shitty, but assholes in glass houses shouldn't be so eager to throw stones.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It gets very easy to get caught up in the extremely vocal minority. It's not a culture thing by any means, but it interests me seeing where priorities get placed on things by people. The Letterman thing (and others like it) are absolutely wrong and absolutely represent poor treatment, but people specifically calling for his head were out in full force. It was way more deafening that it should've been in that regard. I just get irked by the mentality that this initially happened and no one batted an eye and it trended nowhere to it coming back and being that week's example of societal toxicity. It wasn't being used for what it was, it was being used to stir up the loudest and vitriolic. It also happening the same time as the impeachment hearings was something else.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Understand too that I just find this whole notion both fascinating and frustrating, just because I'm never sure the right way to express things. I think it's important to discuss behaviors and mental health of those involved and victimization and whatever else. I'm just bad at it. Important shit in text vs conversation just isn't ideal for serious things.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
In general I'm against pulling things from years ago and analyzing them through today's sensibilities to "cancel" someone. I just watched an old Letterman episode from 1994. His first guest was Demi Moore. The first thing she did when she walked out was take both hands, reach around and squeeze his ass. Something like wouldn't ever be tolerated now. They then proceeded to have a fairly off color talk where they mentioned sex with her husband at the time Bruce Willis etc... Basically the exact thing Justin Timberlake got raked through the coals for with Britney Spears.

I don't think it's fair to go back 27 years, take a show like that, and try and analyze it with the intent to ruin someone. Just like I didn't think it was fair the coverage Timberlake got. Societal norms were different, and imposing today's values on the past isn't fair.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I am not seeing the line between legitimate accusations of emotional abuse and strawman arguments about how people shouldn’t criticize 25+ year old episodes of Letterman.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Timberlake was getting ripped in large part for how he discussed his sexual relationship with Spears and how that contributed to the overall view of her. Along with making a music video that people assumed was about her. My point is that wasn't unusual for a celebrity on a talk show in the 90s and early 00s. You could take 100s of them pick out interviews and make the same case.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember going out to dinner with my ex (who spends the majority of her life on twitter) and talking about Parks and Rec and she asked to not talk about that show because she "just couldn't" talk about Aziz.

I should have seen that red flag.

Reactions: Laz

Valeyard

Reaction score
That's a totally different discussion though. RE: genius

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I don't want it misconstrued. I think the movement overall has done much more good than bad (and by a wide margin). I just feel there is an annoying off-shoot where it seems like people (mainly on social media) try and find reasons to ruin people. Whether it's joke made by Sarah Silverman against Paris Hilton at an MTV awards show or a Letterman show that looks bad now.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I don't want it misconstrued. I think the movement overall has done much more good than bad (and by a wide margin). I just feel there is an annoying off-shoot where it seems like people (mainly on social media) try and find reasons to ruin people. Whether it's joke made by Sarah Silverman against Paris Hilton at an MTV awards show or a Letterman show that looks bad now.
Aye to all statements. You're allowed to agree with the net objective while still being critical of the minor elements.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Never heard of that guy.

I got the new Philip Roth bio and man it is something that he's the least problematic name on the spine right now.

Valeyard

Reaction score
All that after Noel Clarke quite literally playing the biggest cuck in time and space. Gone like tears in the rain.

Dandy

Reaction score
Say you somehow know absolutely nothing about Ron Jeremy and see a picture of him like above but not in court. Would you think of anything other than “This guy is obviously a sex offender of some kind”?