Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

IT'S ALIVE!(?): ROH in 2022 Thread

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Being there live, ROH giving the World Title to fucking Matt Taven in MSG killed the company.
Agreed, that event and particular result did not endear ROH to whatever fanbase was left. From there, the trickle down effect certainly happened.

They tried and did deliver on a much better direction once covid hit, but at that point it was too late.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll reiterate what I said in the AEW thread but I really, really hope that if ROH continues to have a weekly TV show, it stays just an hour. I just feel like best case scenario for a two hour ROH show is a lukewarm, poor man's version of Dynamite. Just keep it simple and old school.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
With that said, when would be the best time during the week to air it? Perhaps Thursday, although you have Impact and now starting tonight, NJPW on AXS to compete with.

Maybe Saturday would be best?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Honestly, maybe Friday could work? Right before or right after Rampage? I feel like weeknights are full except for Sunday, which no one really wants cause you'd be competing with PPVs every 3rd or 4th week and NFL in the fall/winter.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Before deciding on it for sure, I'm interested in seeing if AEW either develops their own streaming service or uses the Time Warner connection to get their backlog on HBO Max.

If yes, then ROH should be running as a bi-weekly touring show, 1-2 shows a pop, and use the footage from those shows as the basis for the next 2 weeks of television. Use clips and highlights of matches as opposed to airing them in full (save the full matches/shows for the streaming services), and buff them up with pre-tapes to hype and build what's coming.

If no, then keep the bi-weekly tour format, but focus most of it on filling a 1-hour weekly program.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Install someone and run it as its own entity with the Forbidden Door talent exchange opened for every company interested. Bring Gabe back, maybe. Give Joe the book. I dunno. Development but its own promotion. Do whatever you want for shows because I don't see much actually changing beyond the broadcaster and ROH should be an online company anyway right now. Just treat it like it isn't another leg of AEW because that'll set up things for failure.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Now here's where I think Tony Khan being a hardcore, lifelong fan helps. I could be hilariously hilariously long so feel free to dunk on me when the opposite becomes true but I feel like he's going to be very very careful in avoiding making any of the same mistakes that Jim Crockett did with UWF and Vince did with WCW.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Now here's where I think Tony Khan being a hardcore, lifelong fan helps. I could be hilariously hilariously long so feel free to dunk on me when the opposite becomes true but I feel like he's going to be very very careful in avoiding making any of the same mistakes that Jim Crockett did with UWF and Vince did with WCW.
He could avoid making mistakes on the booking end but that doesn't preclude him from making mistakes on the business end. I could see about a half dozen ways that this falls apart. Bloated rosters with most talent under contract than needed. Flooding the marketplace with wrestling where people get utterly burnt out a couple years down the line. Upsetting some talent because you can only put so many wrestlers in a main event and on a card altogether for that matter.

I generally like AEW's product. But Tony Khan's appearance last night had me wondering if he's a capable businessperson or a hardcore wrestling fan with a deep bank account.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I generally mildly defend Tony's in ring appearances but he definitely seemed like a coked up mark during that announcement last night.

Staff member
Reaction score
He's not a capable businessperson. He's a mark with ideas, just like us, and has never had the chance to use them so he has a TON of them. Creatively things could fall apart but he has an endless amount of money to keep it all going. His family also has/had one of those mega yachts so it isn't like they care about spending money. His budget is endless.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
He's not a capable businessperson. He's a mark with ideas, just like us, and has never had the chance to use them so he has a TON of them. Creatively things could fall apart but he has an endless amount of money to keep it all going. His family also has/had one of those mega yachts so it isn't like they care about spending money. His budget is endless.
Kismet is the name of the yacht. It's actually for sale if a few of us want to scrimp some cash together:

Staff member
Reaction score
Kismet is the name of the yacht. It's actually for sale if a few of us want to scrimp some cash together:

Tbh if I was a mega rich a yacht like that is the first thing I'd buy. I can't hate on it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
With all of those Russian oligarchs yachts being seized by Western governments, we should wait a few weeks cause the price of these mega yachts will go down a few million.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
ROH tv this past weekend had a special HOF episode where Ian and Cary talked about the picks and then Ian surprised him with the award. Really awesome moment there and well deserved for a legit super nice guy, I can't count the number of times he had long discussions with us after or before shows. Ultimate class act when he would be waiting at the exits after shows thanking everyone for attending

I hope they keep him around in some capacity. He's the ultimate goodwill ambassador for the brand

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
ROH tv this past weekend had a special HOF episode where Ian and Cary talked about the picks and then Ian surprised him with the award. Really awesome moment there and well deserved for a legit super nice guy, I can't count the number of times he had long discussions with us after or before shows. Ultimate class act when he would be waiting at the exits after shows thanking everyone for attending

I hope they keep him around in some capacity. He's the ultimate goodwill ambassador for the brand

When I went to the ROH/NJPW show at MSG, I was 5 rows from the ring. Cary was walking around our area just talking to people. I was able to get a picture with him and have a quick conversation with him. He was incredibly nice, and very excited for everything going on. This is awesome for him.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Catching up after a weekend in Boston. Went to a Beyond Wrestling show on Sunday where Jonathan Gresham wrestled a non-title match against Ortiz from Proud N Powerful. Thought there was a note in his post match promo that was of mild to moderate relevance. He talked about representing ROH and wanting to prove that he was the best in the world and he mentioned CM Punk and Bryan Danielson and I was like "Damn. The ROH World Champ is going to call out CM Punk and Danielson on a mid level indie show in Somerville, MA!?"

Then he said he wasn't ready to wrestle Punk or Danielson yet and needed to prove his mettle against a wrestler like Biff Busick first.

Not that Biff Busick isn't an awesome wrestler (or that him Vs Jonathan Gresham wouldn't be a dream match) but I thought...damn, that's really a sign of how far ROH has fallen that kayfabe wise, their World Champ can publicly say "No. I'm not good enough to face the GOATs in this company's history. I need to test myself against recently released NXT midcarders!"

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
In fairness, didn't practically every wrestler on the show call out Biff Busick after their wins? It was getting to Poochie levels of absurdity.

(Yes, I watched most of the stream. Mostly for Masha but also for Grace/Nightingale.)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. 7 out of 10 matches ended with the winner calling out Biff. And one of the three that didn't was the main event that involved Biff himself.

It was intentionally kind of funny/absurd (Beyond Wrestling kind of borders on a comedy promotion at times) and it makes more sense in the context that Biff Busick was the guy who established Beyond Wrestling as a major indie back in the early-mid 2010s. I really liked it but can definitely see how it could come across as v. silly.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Khan totally bought them because AEW couldn't book the Briscoes but ROH could. EWR logic.
Yeah. He's enough of a wrestling geek and rich enough to think "OK. Now I want to own a wrestling promotion that doesn't have to serve any corporate interests." It's brilliant really.

Tbh, it's what Vince should have done in '01 with ECW.