Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

IT'S ALIVE!(?): ROH in 2022 Thread

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Fightful is saying there is going to be at least one big debut at Supercard of Honor that will be a full time ROH/AEW signing.

Samoa Joe? Cesaro? Booty Man?

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I kinda like the idea of Cesaro being a ROH guy initially as a debut (moving on to AEW in a short period of time), you could even reform the Kings of Wrestling with Chris Hero too if you wanted to get super nostalgic at this show. FWIW, I think Hero should stay on as what I think was essentially a ROH agent, helping lay out the matches, etc. Even get him involved in creative, why not.

I kinda expect Samoa Joe to be involved with something ROH too sooner than later, considering he was one of the first HOF guys. Not sure what role it will be exactly, maybe more of a commish role similar to how it was in NXT w/ Regal. Then move on to occasional matches with him when warranted.

And happy to hear Delirous is out of creative. That was long overdue.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Is Chris Hero retired? He was on ROH's podcast about a year ago and it seemed like he was waiting for pandemic to go away to return at the very least. Not to say the pandemic is anywhere near over but regular fan attended shows have been back for nine months now so unless he's super careful, Idk what the hold up is. I know he worked Gorilla position for ROH a few times in last year. I know AEW's not an option for him cause him and Eddie Kingston hate each other's guts for whatever reason.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Big difference is Colt was in first. It would've been horrible PR for Punk and AEW to fire Colt for Punk. I can pretty much guarantee you though that if Punk was in first there is no chance AEW would've brought in Colt.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Colt and Punk co-exist in AEW...
Yeah, the way I've heard Eddie Kingston talk about Chris Hero makes me think that Kingston would walk out of the company if they hired Chris Hero. I have no idea what source of beef is but you're not going to risk alienating one of your breakout stars.

And tbh, and I love Chris Hero, I think best case scenario for him in AEW is what he was doing in NXT and he's not a necessary hire. I honestly doubt 2022 Chris Hero could get over beyond being a special attraction in ROH. My gut feeling (HAH! Chris Hero's overweight) is that he's mostly retired.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Yeah, the way I've heard Eddie Kingston talk about Chris Hero makes me think that Kingston would walk out of the company if they hired Chris Hero. I have no idea what source of beef is but you're not going to risk alienating one of your breakout stars.

And tbh, and I love Chris Hero, I think best case scenario for him in AEW is what he was doing in NXT and he's not a necessary hire. I honestly doubt 2022 Chris Hero could get over beyond being a special attraction in ROH. My gut feeling (HAH! Chris Hero's overweight) is that he's mostly retired.

It could be similar to the heat between Eddie and Cesaro, where Cesaro refused to put Eddie over when he was leaving for WWE.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Is Khan going to be booking for both AEW and ROH or is he going to delegate? Because he should.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Good to see the Pure title revived, this was the one thing that made ROH unique, so glad its sticking around.

So I got an email from the venue saying the show has been moved to an hour early, but that might just mean an hour of preshow matches likely? Guess time will tell. I do have tickets for this show and will be there live this Friday.

I am legit a bit surprised Khan didn't try to do a ROH HOF ceremony almost kinda head to head with the WWE HOF as an attachment to this event after the matches, or even before as part of the pre-show.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I'm very excited for the show. This is the most excited I've been for an ROH show in a very long time. The matches looks great, and you just know there are going to be some surprises.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
It still needs some work (apparently this is a workprint template and more general work will be done on it) so we will see what the final product looks like, but at this point very not impressed! In fact I wish the logo would have just stayed as is.

I wonder if this is the same logo ROH was proposing to use before Khan bought in? They were going to orginally debut a new logo at SuperCard of Honor IIRC

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ROH just announced their next PPV is happening on July 23rd at the Tsongas Center in Lowell, MA. Lowell, @Laz !!!

Tsongas Center seats about 6,000 ("And hosted TNA Lockdown 2008!"- me and Laz), which would seem a bit ambitious for current ROH if not for Tony Khan's involvement. It's same night as next Limitless Wrestling show and I haven't been to one since before the pandemic so I'll probably stay closer to home as alluring as the idea of traveling to Laz Country and visiting the arena where Samoa Joe & Kurt Angle's faux MMA match happened.

Edit- AEW is in Worcester the next Wednesday so yeah, I'm assuming the AEW involvement will be heavy.

Last edited:

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Briscoes/FTR from Supercard was half of an all-time classic and half setting up greater things. It's one of the rare instances where I've seen tit-for-tat pacing that actually works in a long time, with the Briscoes representing the best of the 00s go-go-go style and FTR representing a modern take on a more methodical style.

The best part, to me? The match ending as it did, and when it did, only adds heat for the eventual rematch. FTR didn't win because they had more FIGHTING SPIRIT than the Briscoes, they won because they outsmarted the Briscoes. They protected the big moves and established that FTR had Dem Boys scouted a mile away, but that Cash and Dax weren't going to win a straight up fight against Jay and Mark.

****, can't wait to see the rematch.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
So I wonder what the backstory is on how they are bringing in the Briscoes back to ROH now. Will this be a one-time thing or has Warner eased off on their concern on having them in now all of a sudden? Hopefully they will stay in the company and even roll them into AEW stuff kinda like Joe, etc.

And by the way, they need to also make this match the main event on the ppv IMO

Looking at the spoilers from Rampage it appeared something really weird went down....

Apparently Gresham went heel, joining up with Tully's faction? I thought for sure we were getting Brian Cage vs Gresham at the ppv for the ROH title? Now it appears it might instead be Moriarty vs Gresham, which should be a hell of a bout. Not main event worthy, but still a really solid sounding bout.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ya know as much as I hate anything that caters to the edge lord audience...I feel like hyping up "The guys that the television networks don't want you to see!" is a good advertising draw. Like a CYN that's actually good.

I do feel bad for the Briscoes. It's obvious that they've grown a lot as people in the past decade. Current culture wars are just so damn annoying as too many on the left are unwilling to forgive anyone for any past transgressions and far right is willing to celebrate anyone marginally famous no matter what they've done as long as they say a few words they want to hear.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
IIRC, Warner said no to the Briscoes appearing on TBS/TNT. They can still work ROH as long as their shows aren't on those channels.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Ya know as much as I hate anything that caters to the edge lord audience...I feel like hyping up "The guys that the television networks don't want you to see!" is a good advertising draw. Like a CYN that's actually good.

ECW did something similar with Sabu. They did an angle where he was "banned by the athletics commission but here in ECW there are no rules so he will appear tonight!!!"

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And I can't remember if they used it at last show or not but absolutely have Skynyrd's "Gimme Back My Bullets" as their theme going for.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think, for me I'd need to go back and see/hear all the shit the Briscoes were saying. I've always not had an issue per se, but never took them seriously cause of the gimmick/perceived "realness" of the whole backwoods and proliferation of the rebel flag in their persona.

If they've changed (as a lot of fans and y'all here have said) then I'd be fine with them being in ROH and getting a good final run.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think it's more due to the fact that he tweeted a bunch of really homophobic stuff on his Twitter back in 2013 (which he said he was in character not his actual worldview) then the Confederate flag but who knows in this crazy internet age?