Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Joker Spinoff Spectacular

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
cobainwasmurdered said:
really enjoyed this. and I don't agree with the complaints about
wayne death scene. It was built up to the entire movie. It made sense. They were the main target of the cities range because of Thomas's comments.

So is joker approx 50 in modern day based on his age in this and how old batman will be when he puts on the cowl?

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe its supposed to be open-ended as to whether that is the actual joker or if he inspired the modern joker. thats what the wiki says as well.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Watched this last night. I thought Phoenix was terrific and it wouldn't surprise me if he got the Oscar for this one. Overall as a movie, it was better than I thought. I wouldn't say Best Picture and certainly not Best Director quality but it was pretty good. I even liked the little comic book touches because I recognize the film needed to appeal to both cinema fans and fans of the comics (it's still a DC property, after all).

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I'm interested enough to plan on watching it when I'm bored and have a cold in October.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was extremely unemployed at the time the first one came out and it seemed like a fine waste of time catching a Monday matinee while there were still people online worried this dumb motherfucking piece of shit movie was going to inspire mass killings

Valeyard

Reaction score
I didn't hate it, but it lived down to my expectations. Every time I've run across it since has made it worse. At least Philips gave us Road Trip.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed that Joker hasn't held up as well on repeat viewings (though Phoenix is still great). I'm intrigued enough to see this but getting more lukewarm on the concept especially if they turn it into a quasi-musical.

I don't mind the concept of Harley falling for Joker while already an inmate but I don't understand why everybody is so risk-averse to making Harley a therapist that falls for the patient... to me that's a central core to their relationship: Joker "using" Harley from the very beginning, Harley defending it behind that idea of True Love that most girls grow up with (and that Joker never cared for anybody else like he does her), and the fact it is an emotionally if not physically abusive relationship arguably on both sides. Harley has always been a bit manipulative with Joker and in a lot of ways made him as co-dependent on her as vice versa.

Valeyard

Reaction score
For the other versions of Joker, I agree, but Phoenix Joker is kinda dumb and pathetic by design. Makes way more sense a kooky crazy chick would be drawn to him and his mystique in this case.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I liked the first one but didn't think it was amazing or anything. The hype about it encouraging incels was beyond stupid and I think it was if anything encouraged to help sell tickets.

I'm really not sure about this one being a musical. I'm not a musical fan in general and this is a weird genre to pair it with, but I'm willing to at least give it a shot.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Reviews at Venice aren't great. It's at 60% on Rotten Tomatoes, and many people thought this was going to be a Oscar contender. Joker 1 started at a 86% on Venice and then dropped to 69%, so this probably ends up in the 40's or even 30's. Supposedly, Phoenix is just as good as the first, but that's about all the positive I see from the reviews. Many are calling it overlong and dull, and that Lady Gaga is underused, and there's not as much of her as the trailers make it seem. It's also a

Courtroom Drama.

in addition to a musical. I could see both genres pissing off the die hard comic fans. It will be interesting to see how audiences react, but I think this has a great box office opening, and then falls off hard.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
They gotta call the audible and get Pattinson for an emergency post credit scene.