Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kanye West is Dead (As an artist)

Mik

Lightswitch Rave!
Reaction score
He did this on SNL too.

I thought both songs were pretty good (but a little odd). I think we're looking at a very angry album coming up here in Yeezus. If Watch the Throne was all about excess, what we've seen so far is that this album will be all angry. "Black Skinheads" goes pretty hard too.

Fökai

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Loved the first part, but he lost me at 2:59 when he started singing some Hungarian rock song.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thread was started by a guy who thinks Kanye hasn't done anything good since Late Registration.

Reaction score
Any other artist with those lyrics would be laughed at. And I liked his last solo album.

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
I really like that the Black Skinhead beat sounds like Marilyn Manson. Kanye bringing back late-90s pop-industrial!

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
But for real though, I know his status as an Auteur and the Voice of a Generation and The Last Artist Who Matters is sort of overblown by this point, but, really, has there been another mainstream artist in the last like 25 years who's shown anywhere near the same interest in sonic experimentation and refusal to rest on laurels? I mean, in 10 years he's gone from this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvb-1wjAtk4

to rapping about the prison-industrial complex over a minimalist drum arrangement while a giant video of his face is projected behind him.

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
I'd think snuffbox would be on board with Kanye's anti-corporatism, but I guess lol mainstream rap

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This whole thing about Kanye trying to get Will Smith to come out of retirement as an apostle of Yeezus is amazazing

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"Yeezus" is pretty funny, though. I enjoy it when rappers commit acts of sacrilege.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I have no problem with the Yeezus thing because it's great

Reaction score
Vince McVirtue said:
Snuffy plays the contrarian, subtly racist white guy role well.

Good thing too, since we needed someone to replace Czech.

something off about white dudes going gaga over a song about a dude admitting he's a slave and enjoying it. not sure who is racist here.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Remember when people called him Kayne West for some reason? I think Ripper did that a lot.