Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kanye West is Dead (As an artist)

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/4549-quality/

Although these qualities have been evident in all of Talib's work, the infusion of new blood (particularly that of Kayne West) accentuates and revitalizes the message.

Byron The Bulb

Byron the bulb
Reaction score
haha and that's not the only one

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/5888-top-50-albums-of-2002/

For this one, Talib parted ways with longtime collaborator Hi-Tek and enlisted the considerable production talents of Kayne West, DJ Quik and the Souliquarians.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/7015-the-fix/

Producer Kayne West, who has now officially arrived, provides a blazing track that wouldn't have sounded out of place on The Blueprint.

All three are by the same guy who I guess was their "hip hop" writer ca. 2002. Pretty shocked these haven't been dropped down the memory hole.

GunsNMoses

GunsNMoses
Reaction score
"Its Kanye, but some of my plaques, they still say Kayne." - Diamonds from Sierra Leone

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'll still go to bat for Train of Thought, but those two albums he did after that were pretty terrible. I haven't heard anything Kweli's done since.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Incandenza said:
"Yeezus" is pretty funny, though. I enjoy it when rappers commit acts of sacrilege.

It would be, if it weren't for stuff like Rolling Stone showcasing Kanye as Jesus on their cover. You don't get anymore milquetoast than Rolling Stone magazine. It's not rebellious, hip, cool or anything of the sort. It is middle-of-the-road pandering to the many people who can't tell the difference between sacrilege/subversion/etc and the cover of the Rolling Stone.

The notion that "not liking everything about a particular black rapper = you're racist" always gets a good chuckle out of me. No, one doesn't actually have to like every song by a particularly popular rapper or everything about him to be not-racist. I like a bunch of Kanye West's songs (first 2 albums, especially), I've gone to his live shows, but I'm afraid I just find it difficult to like every aspect of him/his musical output (or anyone else's for that matter) because it would be "racist" not to. Nor does one have to actually say/type things like "raw hard shit fuck" to enjoy rap music, particular musicians, and not be racist.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
BZ Supports XBox One said:
Vince McVirtue said:
Snuffy plays the contrarian, subtly racist white guy role well.

Good thing too, since we needed someone to replace Czech.

something off about white dudes going gaga over a song about a dude admitting he's a slave and enjoying it. not sure who is racist here.
One of my favorite paintings ever is Goya's Saturn Devouring His Children but I doubt I'd be labeled a fan of eating kids for liking it.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
That's not the inference to make Snarkbox, but since you're really bad at explaining yourself it's not surprising you're really bad at understanding others too.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vince McVirtue said:
Snuffy plays the contrarian, subtly racist white guy role well.

Good thing too, since we needed someone to replace Czech.

Your actual post earlier. You called me a racist in it. You're welcome to Matt Young it, but I've quoted it for posterity. You made the post in response to me mocking the "yeezus" nickname and Cowboy #s typing out a raw word salad.

Again, one doesn't have to like everything a very popular musician does to not be a racist. If a black guy doesn't like all of Paul McCartney's music/style/personality/etc that wouldn't make him a racist...it means he just doesn't like everything about Paul McCartney.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
And really, if I came across a black dude jamming out to some Wings I'd have to do a double take.

Now THAT'S some (funny to me anyway) implied racism!

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
snuffbox said:
lol you're really having a hard time with this.

This doesn't even mean anything!

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?showtopic=88741&st=0

You were kind of a racist tool in that thread. Who assumes a black victim of a home invasion had it coming? Snuffbox does, apparently.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If Kanye West doesn't know the lyrics to every Wings song, he must have a deep seated hatred for white people, for white culture.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vince McVirtue said:
snuffbox said:

You were kind of a racist tool in that thread. Who assumes a black victim of a home invasion had it coming? Snuffbox does, apparently.

This came up here a few months ago. When it was, and I read what I said then, I acknowledged that I was completely wrong (and terrible) for thinking/saying that stuff.

I am going to assume it wasn't you that brought it up a few months ago. That would be some kind of dumb if I already acknowledged how terrible my thinking/posts were there directly to you...and then you conveniently forgot that so you could have more fuel for your "like all things Kanye West or you're a racist" theory.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
snuffbox said:
Vince McVirtue said:
snuffbox said:

This came up here a few months ago. When it was, and I read what I said then, I acknowledged that I was completely wrong (and terrible) for thinking/saying that stuff.

I am going to assume it wasn't you that brought it up a few months ago. That would be some kind of dumb if I already acknowledged how terrible my thinking/posts were there directly to you...and then you conveniently forgot that so you could have more fuel for your "like all things Kanye West or you're a racist" theory.

It wasn't me, but I bet you think we all look the same smh

I'm glad you cleared it up, even though in acknowledgement you still found a way to snarkbox it up for most of that post and subtly insult me. uhh, thanks?

Hey so I called a guy a African-American person once, I'm not racist anymore. What are you, some kind of fucking moron? Don't you keep up with me and realize that I ain't like that no more? It's not my job to prove I'm not terrible anymore, it's yours to keep up.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.therealtsm.com/index.php?topic=7439.msg620672#msg620672

It was Byron who first out'd me as a racist. YPOV does acknowledge there were worse posts in the Sean Taylor thread. But my response to my own remains- I was terrible and I was wrong.

Since 2007, a couple of athletes particularly showed me the error of my thinking. Charles Woodson and Nyjer Morgan. Those 2 have had the codewords like "thug" thrown their way many times by white people, due to their personalities in combination with their being black. It took me an embarrassingly long time but I do think I've gotten better about that.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
That's fine, and I respect you for being frank about it. But don't assume that there aren't repercussions to being an asshole and that not everyone keeps tabs on your personal journey. For some people, like those black people that get unfairly vilified, they're too busy worrying about being unfairly vilified to notice your ascent from 'racist asshole' to 'enlightened friend of blacks'. It's really condescending to be all "I don't pick on black people anymore, you're a moron for thinking otherwise". If you've shown certain behaviours in the past, people will make assumptions about you and they will be justified in doing so. When someone whose said what you said in the Sean Taylor thread uses 'urban' speak to insult a black person, even in mocking Chad Numbers, my mind will understandably gravitate towards a negative conclusion.

However, as you've more than cleared things up, I won't anymore and I take back what I said.

Sesquipedaliantique

Integral Poster
Reaction score
make_it_stop_by_blayresalice-d3k4jz1.jpg

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Inc's gif was too hot for my workplace, got a warning saying "THIS GIF MIGHT NOT BE ESSENTIAL TO YOUR WORKPLACE ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO CONTINUE IS THIS NECESSARY FOR YOUR JOB IF SO CLICK THE LINK"

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
snuffbox said:
http://www.therealtsm.com/index.php?topic=7439.msg620672#msg620672

It was Byron who first out'd me as a racist. YPOV does acknowledge there were worse posts in the Sean Taylor thread. But my response to my own remains- I was terrible and I was wrong.

Since 2007, a couple of athletes particularly showed me the error of my thinking. Charles Woodson and Nyjer Morgan. Those 2 have had the codewords like "thug" thrown their way many times by white people, due to their personalities in combination with their being black. It took me an embarrassingly long time but I do think I've gotten better about that.

When you called a guy a African-American person once, is that when you only enjoyed the white rappers from Rhymesayers?

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Wow that Sean Taylor thread is really fucking stupid... the question asking of someone friend dying and that someone happened to be a part of their favorite team... and it takes two guys playing for someones favorite team to realize they're wrong... dear lord can't even acknowledge how much bullshit that is... but I guess it's another version of people's opinions changing on people who are once someone different moves in next door or into the neighborhood.