Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kanye West is Dead (As an artist)

Reaction score
KANYE WESTVerified account ‏@kanyewest

I open the debate… The 2nd verse of New Slaves is the best rap verse of all time….meaning … OF ALL TIME IN THE HISTORY OF RAP MUSIC, PERIOD

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/358614185086693377

Reaction score
@KillerMikeGTO: "The Best rap verse of all time." NIGGA PLEASE! Them white folks done drove u crazy. #RunTheJewels

FroGG_NeaL

WIT DA GREATEST OF EASE
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/28/miley-cyrus-black-skinhead-kanye_n_3829691.html

Miley Cyrus skipped her Video Music Awards after-party on Sunday, but according to the New York Post, she had a good reason: Cyrus was supposedly in the studio with fellow VMA performer Kanye West, who the tabloid says tapped her for a feature on a remix of "Black Skinhead."

The song was the lead single off West's recently released album, "Yeezus," and offers searing commentary on America's racial politics. West describes America as a place where people "see a black man with a white woman at the top floor" and "come to kill King Kong" and rips Catholics and "conservative Baptists" for fearing him ("claiming I'm overreacting like them black kids in Chiraq"; "Chiraq," a combination of Chicago and Iraq, is a reference to the high levels of violent crime in the city).

West's label had no information about the rumor when reached by HuffPost Entertainment. For what it's worth, the rapper has been known to hit the studio after big performances in the past.

Including Cyrus on a supposed remix would add a new layer to the ongoing debate about Cyrus' own use of black culture and comes on the heels of her VMAs performance, which has been characterized as a grotesque minstrel show that again featured black women as props for 20-year-old Cyrus' transformation from Disney starlet to molly lobbyist.

West himself is no stranger to complicated uses of existing cultural artifacts. The rapper performed "Blood on the Leaves" at Sunday's awards, a track which samples Nina Simone's cover of Billie Holiday's song about lynchings. West's song drew the ire of critics who bemoaned that he spends the entirety of his verses rapping about infidelity, molly, cars, cocaine and sitting courtside at basketball games. At the VMAs, West sang the song in front of an image of a tree used in real-life lynchings.

Skywarp!

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Could be old, but has anyone seen the Kanye West Self-Confidence Generator?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/exp/kanye/kanye.html

'Everything I'm not made me everything I am.' In my humble opinion, that's a prophetic statement. Gandhi would have said something like that.

When I think of competition it's like I try to create against the past. I think about Michelangelo and Picasso. You know, the pyramids.

My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

LOL!

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://pitchfork.com/news/56459-aphex-twin-speaks-on-his-new-album-being-sampled-by-kanye-more/

On Kanye sampling Drukqs’ “Avril 14th” on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy’s “Blame Game”: “Is it a sample? I actually don't know what it ended up being in the end, I'm so slack. I know that he tried to fucking rip me off and claim that he'd written it, and they tried to get away with not paying. I was really helpful, and when they first sent it to me, I was like, ‘Oh, I can re-do that for you, if you like,’ because they'd sampled it really badly and time-stretched it and there was loads of artifacts. I was like, ‘I'll just replay it for you at that speed if you want.’ And they totally didn't even say ‘hello’ or ‘thanks,’ they just replied with, ‘It's not yours, it's ours, and we're not even asking you any more.’” [laughs]

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've been curious about how bad Kanye's downfall is, so I've been going through his discography. Most of these albums I haven't listened to since they came out. I listened to Yeezus for the first time since 2013, and it actually kicks ass. There still isn't many albums I've heard that sounds like that. The production is outstanding, and the beats are all memorable. It ended up being a very influential album and a defining album for the Industrial Rap subgenre as well as Experimental Rap. JPEGMAFIA and some other modern artists owe a lot to the Yeezus album. I'm really surprised at how much better this sounds now than when it came out. It's crazy that a major pop star put out something this abrasive and non mainstream.

The downfall starts on his next album The Life Of Pablo. Not a bad album, but his worst at that point and it's the first time his shtick got boring. He does have a nice late period album with the Kid Cudi collab Kids See Ghosts, but everything after Yeezus has been mediocre to terrible. I just finished his atrocious gospel rap album, and his next album Donda is around 80 minutes. LORD HELP ME WHY AM I DOING THIS TO MYSELF?

edit: About 10 songs into Donda and it's just blah and boring overall. Even something like Jesus Is King (Which was terrible) was a risky swing from him, and he at least tried a different genre. Donda is just a lame pastiche of all his best material, and nothing is working. The energy is just not here, and he sounds much older than he's ever sounded before. And, there's 17 songs left.

Last edited:

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
I've been curious about how bad Kanye's downfall is, so I've been going through his discography. Most of these albums I haven't listened to since they came out. I listened to Yeezus for the first time since 2013, and it actually kicks ass. There still isn't many albums I've heard that sounds like that. The production is outstanding, and the beats are all memorable. It ended up being a very influential album and a defining album for the Industrial Rap subgenre as well as Experimental Rap. JPEGMAFIA and some other modern artists owe a lot to the Yeezus album. I'm really surprised at how much better this sounds now than when it came out. It's crazy that a major pop star put out something this abrasive and non mainstream.

The downfall starts on his next album The Life Of Pablo. Not a bad album, but his worst at that point and it's the first time his shtick got boring. He does have a nice late period album with the Kid Cudi collab Kids See Ghosts, but everything after Yeezus has been mediocre to terrible. I just finished his atrocious gospel rap album, and his next album Donda is around 80 minutes. LORD HELP ME WHY AM I DOING THIS TO MYSELF?

edit: About 10 songs into Donda and it's just blah and boring overall. Even something like Jesus Is King (Which was terrible) was a risky swing from him, and he at least tried a different genre. Donda is just a lame pastiche of all his best material, and nothing is working. The energy is just not here, and he sounds much older than he's ever sounded before. And, there's 17 songs left.
"Life of Pablo" is interesting in that most of the guest verses are good to great and it is one of his best from a production standpoint. However, it's also the moment you notice that his skills as a rapper have started to decline-he's not that bad or horrible, but compared to what came prior it's a step down. That and you are right in that his shtick got boring, and the first time on one of his albums where he just comes off as a dick (the Taylor Swift line in "Famous" and the "bleached asshole" one on "Father Stretch My Hands Part 1"-which is a shame because it's otherwise a good song) instead of a jerk who I can't hate too much because he can back it up

By the time "Donda" is released-there's some good to great production and guest verses, but his skill as a rapper have fully declined. "Life of the Party" is a great example in that the production is great and Andre 3000 delivers the best guest verse of his career, but then Kanye starts rapping and the song nearly stops for me. There's no passion to his delivery, and he's clearly run out of interesting things to say.