Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Kanye West is Dead (As an artist)

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I had totally forgotten about how Czech, myself, and Mr. Rant ended up digressing in the middle of that thread to talk about tea for like 8 posts

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
I just can't believe how a couple of people's words hold more weight than the countless of others because they're on someone's favorite team. It falls right into that stereotype of the okay blacks are the ones that entertain you or on your sports team and they perform well... Holy shit I never thought I would see it play out on this board in 2013... I gave the posters here too much credit.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
GOA said:
snuffbox said:
http://www.therealtsm.com/index.php?topic=7439.msg620672#msg620672

It was Byron who first out'd me as a racist. YPOV does acknowledge there were worse posts in the Sean Taylor thread. But my response to my own remains- I was terrible and I was wrong.

Since 2007, a couple of athletes particularly showed me the error of my thinking. Charles Woodson and Nyjer Morgan. Those 2 have had the codewords like "thug" thrown their way many times by white people, due to their personalities in combination with their being black. It took me an embarrassingly long time but I do think I've gotten better about that.

When you called a guy a African-American person once, is that when you only enjoyed the white rappers from Rhymesayers?

?

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kanye West, guys!

What's yr fave Yeezy track? If I had to pick one..."Can't Tell Me Nothin'"

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Pretty White Kid with Problems said:
Now taking bets for how many posts until Kreese expresses outrage over white people's use of 'Yeezus'.

9nX1eCM.gif

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Way less than that. Hold the Liquer is half a good song. Black Skinhead is decent. New Slaves is another half a good song. the second to last track would be good without the annoying sliding whistle effect.

Reaction score
Album is starting to grow on me. For the most part, the lyrics are shit. He took about two hours to write for this album. I enjoy the production. Pretty abrasive. I guess Industrial. I couldn't help but think of dance moves I'd use to some of the songs. You can grind to this, while being offended. Bound 2 got the old Kanye vibe, so that's cool. Chief Keef has the best hook on the album. It's neat that he got features from Chief Keef and King L, and that he's being anti-pop hit and all that, cause he could have gotten some big time guests, but one can only get away with that after amassing a gigantic fanbase and fortune. Still, album is pretty radical, and decent if it isn't classified as hip hop, which it's not.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't imagine inflicting this on myself multiple times to let it grow on me. I wouldn't have made it through the whole thing if we weren't listening to it in the chat. Which was fun and something we should do more often with new releases.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/kanye-west-yeezus/

"This aggro-industrial earthquake with booming bass and minimal synths balances groundbreaking hip-hop lyrics ("New Slaves" is a bizarre, layered concept clash where high fashion, slavery, and "I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" all collide) with punkish, irresponsible blast-femy (during the draggy, trap track "I'm in It," West's melodious and melancholy voice shouts its dreams to the multitude, pleading "Your titties, let 'em out, free at last/Thank God almighty, they free at last" as if civil rights and booty calls were equally noble quests), and it all works in an astonishing, compelling manner."

I have no idea if that entire review is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek or not. Hell, I don't even know if it's a "positive" review outside of maybe 2-3 lines.

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
Harley Quinn said:
"Your titties, let 'em out, free at last/Thank God almighty, they free at last" as if civil rights and booty calls were equally noble quests)
They aren't? Then my life has been a lie.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
But why he starts the album off with that typical synth buzzsaw sound is beyond me, but what a sound it is, all gussied up and processed. I can't figure out why he would do that. It's like farting. It's another dare — I dare you to like this. Very perverse.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I put on "Black Skinhead" on the digital jukebox at a bar the other night and some guy yelled at me and then another guy gave me a couple bucks because he really liked the music I'd been playing.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anyway, I was being considerate because I originally was gonna play "I'm a God," but I figured the screaming at the end would be unpleasant in that environment.

FroGG_NeaL

WIT DA GREATEST OF EASE
Reaction score

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Lou Reed said:
It works because it's beautiful — you either like it or you don't — there's no reason why it's beautiful. I don't know any musician who sits down and thinks about this. He feels it, and either it moves you too, or it doesn't, and that's that. You can analyze it all you want.

haven't listened to Yeezus yet, but I love this quote