Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Major League Baseball 2024

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Joey Votto officially announced his retirement this evening.

Hell of a career and I’m super excited to see where he goes next. It goes without question that he was my favorite player to witness and follow their career.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Aaron Judge is still maintaining his MVP level season with an absurd 226 OPS+, 0.722 Slugging, 47 HR, and while being intentionally walked just 15 times.

Most superstar sluggers were getting intentionally walked 20-35 times a year max, which really paints how crazy Barry Bond's 68 and 61 were in 2002 & 2003 too.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Joey Votto officially announced his retirement this evening.

Hell of a career and I’m super excited to see where he goes next. It goes without question that he was my favorite player to witness and follow their career.
An interesting case in that his loudest stat is his On Base Percentage. Last year Ronald Acuna led the majors with a .416 OBP. Joey Votto posted a .434 OBP over a full DECADE.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Aaron Judge is still maintaining his MVP level season with an absurd 226 OPS+, 0.722 Slugging, 47 HR, and while being intentionally walked just 15 times.

Most superstar sluggers were getting intentionally walked 20-35 times a year max, which really paints how crazy Barry Bond's 68 and 61 were in 2002 & 2003 too.

Judge actually has competition. Witt Jr. is now hitting .352 as a shortstop with the Royals along with 25 HRs and 25 SBs.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Elly has joined the 20/60 club, making him the fifth player in MLB history to reach that milestone.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mariners have fired Scott Servais as manager after 9 seasons.

Dodgers DFA'd Jason Heyward.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Mariners have fired Scott Servais as manager after 9 seasons.

Dodgers DFA'd Jason Heyward.
Surprising Seattle did that. Any word around the area why? He had a winning record and was 64-64, 5.5 GB in the AL West.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Since July 11 the Mariners have gone 12-21 and they lost eight of nine on their road trip. Two months ago they were as far as ten games up. I would presume a very real fear that if they don't act now the season will get away from them.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
An interesting case in that his loudest stat is his On Base Percentage. Last year Ronald Acuna led the majors with a .416 OBP. Joey Votto posted a .434 OBP over a full DECADE.
Joey Votto could come out of retirement and go O- for- 477 and still have a higher on base percentage than Tony Gwynn.

I think he gets in, and a lot of people won't be happy about it.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Once everyone started talking about this (and after Alex Cora confirmed that he would play last week), I've just assumed Jansen would get hurt again and ruin all the fun. Really, they were tempting fate when they said it was going to happen a few days ago.

There are also a few Jays players that could make their big league debuts in a game that started while they were still in the minors.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Yesterday's Cubs/Marlins game, a play for the books. Marlins are leading 3-1 in the 8th, runners 2nd/3rd with none out. The Cubs issue an intentional walk to Jesus Sanchez. Marlins manager Skip Schumacher sends in Cristian Pache to pinch run for Jesus Sanchez. But Sanchez turns around and heads to the dugout BEFORE HE TOUCHES FIRST BASE. The Cubs appeal and Pache is out despite just having entered the game. A pyrrhic victory for the Cubs, the Marlins scored four runs in the inning.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Just saw a note that Vladimir Guerrero Jr. is on pace for a career high in OPS+. His April was miserable so this season has gone under the radar for me. But Guerrero went 4 for 5 against the Twins on May 11 and since then he's hit 349/419/631.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, he's been crazy good for the last little while. He had a 20-something game hitting streak where his average was almost .500.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As someone who went to the weekend series in Detroit in '03 to see the Tigers finish 43-119, I thought we would never see a team with that bad of a record ever again. The White Sox have to play .500 over their final 24 games just to reach that mark!

alkeiper

Reaction score
The worst OPS+ in modern baseball history is 69 by the 1901 Boston Nationals (now Braves). The White Sox are at 74. They have scored 3.0 runs a game in a league that averages 4.43. They are on pace to score the fewest runs by any DH team in a full season in baseball history. They are firmly in the discussion of worst historical offenses ever. And to do it when you can scout the entire minor league universe from your couch is remarkable.

alkeiper

Reaction score

Former negro league player Bill Greason turned 100. Greason and Ron Teasley are the only remaining negro league players from 1948 or earlier.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
John Sterling is unretiring and will be returning to the broadcast booth for the Yankees in the postseason.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score

"Chapman will get a $1 million signing bonus, payable Jan. 15, and annual salaries of $25 million. The deal assures he will earn $169 million over seven seasons from 2024-30."

Chapman currently has a 121 OPS+ with 33 Doubles, 22 HR, 69 RBI, and 13 SB while hitting .247/.333/.445

alkeiper

Reaction score
It's an odd extension because Chapman was already effectively under contract for 2025-26. The deal locks up the four years after and while Chapman's a very good player, that seems like a lot of risk. Perhaps the Giants are feeling burned by losing out on too many free agents,

Bobby Witt Jr. has reached a 9.0 bWAR on the season. Best seasons in Royals' history.

Zack Greinke 10.4, 2009
Bret Saberhagen 9.7, 1989
George Brett 9.4, 1980
Kevin Appier 9.3, 1993
Bobby Witt Jr. 9.0, 2024

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
So I haven’t really followed the season but holy shit I can’t remember, off the top of my head, a team having a worse record than the white Sox. I had to do a double take to make sure I was reading it correctly. Are they the worst team of all time? I’m still in shock reading their win/loss record, it looks alien next to all the other records, like someone made a mistake writing it down.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
So I haven’t really followed the season but holy shit I can’t remember, off the top of my head, a team having a worse record than the white Sox. I had to do a double take to make sure I was reading it correctly. Are they the worst team of all time? I’m still in shock reading their win/loss record, it looks alien next to all the other records, like someone made a mistake writing it down.
The craziest stat to me is that their Pythagorean Record per B-Ref has them 8 wins better than their actual record: Pythagorean W-L: 41-107, 451 Runs, 764 Runs Allowed

alkeiper

Reaction score
That can't be too surprising for any team performing at the extreme.

@Mickey Massuco to answer your question coming into today they have the worst record of any AL/NL team since 1901. If they were to win every game the rest of the season they would still be the 16th worst. The modern record for most losses is 120 by the'62 Mets. The worst winning percentage in the modern era was .235 by the 1916 A's. The White Sox will eclipse that mark if they finish with 38 wins or fewer. But while they seem like a good bet to break those records, note the 2003 Tigers went 5-1 in their last six games to avoid 120 losses.

alkeiper

Reaction score

Top of the fourth, one out, 1-0 lead, bases empty. What are we even doing here?