Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Major League Baseball 2024

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I have to think Tarik Skubal is on his way to the Cy Young award and it will probably be unanimous.

Edit: Erick Fedde is still second in pitcher bWAR and he was traded to the National League on July 29!

Last edited:

alkeiper

Reaction score
White Sox death march:
2-7 needed for worst winning percentage
6-3 (or worse) to tie record for most losses

The silver lining is that Andrew Vaughn's bat woke up. He's hitting .359 with a 1.042 OPS in his last thirteen games. Yoan Moncada is off the DL but he's riding the bench as of yet.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Shohei Ohtani going absolutely berserk yesterday can't go unnoticed. Six for six, three home runs, two doubles, 10 RBIs and two stolen bases. Not a record in any category but in totality possibly the greatest single game statline in recorded history. It has an argument.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
First player to ever hit 50/50
Part of me thinks that's pretty impressive considering guys like Canseco, Soriano, Bonds, Griffey Jr, etc. but then I also remember that those guys stole far fewer bases as they got older while still maintaining their power numbers. Still a crazy feat even given the argument that stealing bases is easier in today's game.

Maybe more notable is that Ohtani did it while also contributing 120+ Runs and 120+ RBI. For context: Bonds did that 3x; Ruth did that 11x (while usually playing in loaded lineups); Ted Williams did that 6x; Mark McGwire did that 1x (1998); Ken Griffey Jr did that 4x

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Only 3 players are going to have 100+ walks. Freeman & Ohtani currently are tied for 4th at... 78!

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Reds fired David Bell.

Now fire your empty headed dipshit son next and follow him out the door too, tomato man.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
The rest of the Braves/Mets series is postponed by rain and there will be a double header on Monday, the day before the playoffs start.

PROLONG THE PAIN!

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've already come to terms with the Mets falling short again so I'm basically numb at this point. Oh well bring on more pain

OldSchoolWrestling

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Big news today is (probably) the last MLB game to take place at the Oakland Coliseum.
Cried watching the last out today and cried during the tribute at my last trip there Saturday night. My dad took me to games there in the 70s and 80s. I took my girlfriend on dates there in the late 80s and early 90s. We've now been married 31 years and have taken our kids to games from the 90s until this last Saturday. My mom gets mad when I joke to people that I was conceived in the bleachers at an A's game. Truly a lifetime of memories.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Tigers are going to the postseason for the first time in 10 years. And the .White Sox now have the most losses in modern baseball history

Last edited:

alkeiper

Reaction score
AL wild card race becomes a bit clearer. Twins need to come back against the Orioles. If they tie the Royals in the standings they sneak in.

The Twins deserve attention. On August 17 they had a five game lead on their wild card spot and 10.5 over the Tigers. They’ve gone 12-24 since. An epic collapse.

Last edited:

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wth Tigers making the playoffs I believe the Angels now have the longest postseason drought

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Francisco Alvarez looks to have completely tore up his knee/leg sliding into third. Can the Mets just be canceled?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Aaron Judge is currently sitting at a 226 OPS+ while slugging over .700 for the season(!). That puts him in the area of Babe Ruth's 1926/1927, Barry Bond's 2003, and Ted Williams' 1957 and 1941 seasons.

Truly an astonishing year from a hitting perspective.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kyle Hendricks likely pitched his last game for the Cubs and it was a great 7 1/3 outing. Glad to see it because he struggled badly at the start and looked washed. But, I think there's enough in the tank for some team to take a shot on him next year.

I got into the Cubs around the same time Hendricks debuted in 2013, so he will always hold a big place in my Cubs fandom. He was majorly important in winning the 2016 World Series, and that Game 6 against the Dodgers is one of the great Cubs pitching performances period.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's at least at tuberculosis levels.

And both teams that made the World Series last year miss the playoffs this year