Matches You Didn't Think Existed

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Was reading a NEWZ site recap of a JBL interview or podcast where he talked about how Brock Lesnar insisted on putting him over at a house show in JBL's hometown during Brock's initial run in WWF and looked it up on History of WWE and it wasn't wrestler BS.

WWF (Raw) @ Abilene, TX - April 14, 2002
The Big Show, Crash Holly, & Spike Dudley defeated Justin Credible, Steven Richards, & Tommy Dreamer following a double chokeslam by Show
Goldust defeated Raven with the Cobra Clutch
The Big Show (sub. for Kane) pinned X-Pac with the chokeslam
Trish Stratus & Jackie defeated WWF Women’s Champion Jazz & Molly Holly when Trish pinned Jazz
William Regal pinned WWF Hardcore Champion Bubba Ray Dudley to win the title after hitting him with brass knuckles
WWF European Champion Spike Dudley pinned WWF Hardcore Champion William Regal to win the title
Goldust pinned WWF European & Hardcore Champion Spike Dudley with a DDT to win the Hardcore title
Bubba Ray Dudley pinned WWF Hardcore Champion Goldust to win the title following a powerbomb through a table
The Undertaker pinned Steve Austin after hitting him with a chair
D-Lo Brown pinned the Big Bossman with a roll up
Matt & Jeff Hardy defeated Mr. Perfect & Shawn Stasiak following the Swanton on Stasiak
Bradshaw pinned Brock Lesnar with the Clothesline from Hell (Bradshaw’s hometown)
WWF IC Champion Rob Van Dam pinned Booker T with the Five Star Frog Splash

Man, '02 WWF was ass. I'd be down to watch Goldust Vs Raven though.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Why the fuck is an Austin/Taker match fifth from the top?!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
On certain house shows, WWE regularly puts the "main event" on as last match before intermission so the top guys will beat traffic and have more time to get to the next town and relax. It's gone on since the Backlund era and I feel like probably still happens to this day? At least up until 2012, when I saw a house show that had Cena go on right before intermission.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Why the fuck is an Austin/Taker match fifth from the top?!
Intermission. Get the crowd hot going into it so they go buy more of the top guys merch and you follow intermission with a popcorn match that people in line aren’t going to run back to their seats, no disrespect meant to MR BOSS MAN.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
WWF on 5/8/1994 has quite the Japan card.

1) Samu vs Nobukazu Hirai 2) The 1-2-3 Kid vs Jinsei Shinzaki 3) Tatanka vs Fatu 4) The Smoking Gunns vs Owen Hart/Doink the Clown 5) Alundra Blayze vs Sakie Hasegawa 6) Masashi Aoyagi vs Bob Backlund 7) The Undertaker vs Yokozuna 8) Genichiro Tenryu/Randy Savage vs Rick Martel/Adam Bomb 9) Bret Hart vs Bam Bam Bigelow (WWF Heavyweight title match)

Full show linked below. That Tenryu/Savage vs. Martel/Bomb is quite the random tag team pairings match. Same for Owen/Doink teaming up tbh.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Iceman still going warms my heart. He's a big personal favorite. Don't care how immobile he looks.

Kash and Tatanka could probably have a legit *** match. Standing by it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How we never got that in 2006 Smackdown, I'll never know. I'd even settle for Tatanka & Matt Hardy Vs WWE Pitbulls.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It sounds exactly like a Velocity main event that everyone said was great but no one ever watched.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Honestly if Johnny Swinger talked about tag teaming with Chris Adams in one of his Impact promos, I'd assume that was just something he made up. Idk either of them even made it into Star Trek logo era WCW. I thought they'd have stopped showing up sometime in early '99.

Swinger actually reappeared in WCW right before they closed shop after ECW folded. He was in the cruiserweight tag title tournament.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Went down a post WWF World Title run Bob Backlund dive on Cagematch after our discussion in the New Generation thread.

WWF @ Queens, NY - Ridgewood Groves Arena - June 27, 1984
The scheduled Wild Samoans & Samula vs. Bob Backlund, Salvatore Bellomo, & B. Brian Blair match was cancelled
Tiger Chung Lee fought Ron Shaw to a draw
Chief Jay Strongbow defeated George Steele via disqualification
Moondog Spot defeated Steve Lombardi
The Moondogs defeated Tony Garea & Salvatore Bellomo
Bob Backlund (sub. for David Schultz) defeated WWF IC Champion Tito Santana via count-out

Backlund challenging Tito for the IC Title seems super intriguing on paper but I bet that match was absolutely boring in practice.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Do you know what the hell this is, @BruiserBrody ? I'm assuming some sort of corporate video that wanted The Hulkster to goof around in a video for them and didn't know/care about the heel turn.

It'd really weird to see him with the five o'clock shadow wearing the red & yellow gear. I mean he had same look in '02/'03 WWE but fact he wore boas and tie dye made that seem like not really classic Hulk.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Me and @Laz talked a bit in the ‘03 TNA thread about wanting to see Saturn Vs ROH guys and this is probably as good as we are going to get.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Saturn really gave him a lot there, and that's the perfect finish to get a guy over without jobbing to them: avoid their finish and hit your own.

Saturn really was the perfect midcard bruiser.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm mildly surprised Bully Ray didn't do a Memphis run in his early days? It seems like he would have been a tailor made Lawler opponent of the month.

Weirdly, I would have really liked to see a Lawler/Bully match in the late '90s or early 2010s? But post heart attack Lawler Vs MAGA Troll Bully Ray? No thank you.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Did Mongo Vyle (Bully's first gimmick) wrestle outside of the Northeastern indie scene before getting hired by ECW and becoming a Dudley? I have the impression that he was basically a Northeast nobody until ECW.

Bully/Lawler in 2021 is definitely a good ten years too late to be worth watching, although I'm sure whoever is in the ECW Arena that night will have fun.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
@BruiserBrody will be able to confirm this but reading Observers from 1995, Bully was a hot free agent at the time despite his limited experience because he was 400+ pounds at the time. There were rumors that WCW was going to bring him in as one of the Dungeon of Doom.

Is the wrestling world a better or worst place if Bully and Hugh Morrus trade places? Idk. The history of PRO WRESTLING HEAT is definitely different if Bully's formative years are spent mostly on WCW C/D shows.