Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Matches You Didn't Think Existed

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Who didn't Norton work? He was everywhere.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looking at his Cagematch and Scott Norton really DIDN'T work a ton of territories. AWA, Portland Wrestling, WCW, and a one shot in October '94 for WWF (Man, now I'm pissed we didn't get Scott Norton as a challenger for Diesel) before almost entirely New Japan for the early '00s.

He notoriously hated traveling so that probably explains a lot. Presumably, also why he picked WCW over WWF since even at their peak of popularity in the late '90s, it seems like their load was a lot lighter.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Looking at his Cagematch and Scott Norton really DIDN'T work a ton of territories. AWA, Portland Wrestling, WCW, and a one shot in October '94 for WWF (Man, now I'm pissed we didn't get Scott Norton as a challenger for Diesel) before almost entirely New Japan for the early '00s.

He notoriously hated traveling so that probably explains a lot. Presumably, also why he picked WCW over WWF since even at their peak of popularity in the late '90s, it seems like their load was a lot lighter.
He was buddies with the WCW Vice president as both were in the AWA in 89/90 and Norton happened to get a rather $$$ heavy contract despite never drawing in the US.

I think his Fire and Ice era stuff is fun as he had some bangers with the Steiners and WCW champ the Giant. NWO Norton....eh?

Norton vs Diesel sounds just awful, mostly because both guys would cancel out any strengths the others had in the ring. Shawn pinballing for Norton feels like it works in my head. I'm not sure what Bret would get out of him. Hart would probably have to spend tons of the match selling back issues to try and set up a flash cradle out of a back breaker sort of finish.

Bring back the Berzerker and let them eat up the Body Donnas and Gunns.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
20210925_AA_01.jpg

Valeyard

Reaction score
I would be into that the same way I was Andre and the other giant guy vs Cactus Jack and one of the Kongs not being a Kong.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

If I cared slightly more I'd look to see if Sarge was still agenting for the WWF at this point.
I also saw from looking at AWF results that Michael Hayes was on AWF syndication TV at the same time he debuted as Dok. Hayes apparently had a WWF dark match in Feb 95 but his back was too messed up to try a full time run.

March 18, 1995
Nailz & The Warlord vs. Billy Joe Eaton & Jim Powers (!)

Late 96 Manny Fernandez made shots!?!!?

Last edited:

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score

If I cared slightly more I'd look to see if Sarge was still agenting for the WWF at this point.
I also saw from looking at AWF results that Michael Hayes was on AWF syndication TV at the same time he debuted as Dok. Hayes apparently had a WWF dark match in Feb 95 but his back was too messed up to try a full time run.

March 18, 1995
Nailz & The Warlord vs. Billy Joe Eaton & Jim Powers (!)

Late 96 Manny Fernandez made shots!?!!?
Probably a different Manny Fernandez. There was a local guy wrestling under that name around that time frame.

But it being *that* Manny Fernandez wouldn't shock me given what the AWF was

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. There was a non Raging Bull Manny Fernandez who did jobs for WCW in '97/'98ish too. Probably the same guy you're talking about JHawk.
This is just an educated guess but I'm assuming Slaughter was part of the massive budget cuts with non-wrestlers in '94/'95. He probably felt he had enough gas left in the tank to try his trade elsewhere but enough loyalty to the McMahons for bringing his career back from the dead to not go to WCW.

And my god, now I'm horrified imagining how horrible a Sgt. Slaughter 1995 WCW run would be.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Exactly the guy I'm thinking about and given a number of those AWF TV shows were taped in Florida, I'm pretty sure it was him.

I used to have the 1996 shows on tape but I think I got rid of them last time I moved.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Man when's WALTER's contract up? He belongs with Tully and giving us that rematch with good production.