Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

MLB Offseason 2023-24: Thanks to all MLB fans (except As fans) for their support

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well, for roughly two thirds of MLB fanbases, it’s the off-season and more will soon join the ranks.

In more fun news, Trevor Bauer is looking to clear his name and return to MLB!

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[
I could see a scenario where the Pittsburgh end up having a sneakily competent season. Not like playoff contenders but 75-80 wins.

I don’t see any scenario where the Reds win more than 70 games. I’d love to be proven wrong and @Dandy quoting this post to make me look like a fool in October.

I was half right but thankfully for @Dandy ’s sake half wrong!

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Worst kept secret in baseball is out. Terry Francona is officially done as manager of the Cleveland Guardians and I would assume officially retired.

Thank you Tito!

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Billy Eppler is out as Mets GM. They are cleaning house.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Ever see when the Athletic posts an article on something like Nakeen or the WNBA on Facebook and see the comments underneath? The negativity is so tiresome.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Giants are hiring Bob Melvin for their managerial opening.

He won’t rest until he’s skippered the entire west coast.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Nelson Cruz announced his retirement. Nineteen seasons, 464 career home runs.
One of my favorite sluggers because he was a total carryover from the late 90s era mashers. Slugs 35-40 HR a year, hits about .280-.290 at his peak, and has a BB vs. K ratio of like 55 vs. 140.

In another era, he'd have been almost a Sammy Sosa clone just without the speed.

claydude14

Integral Poster
Reaction score

alkeiper

Reaction score
One of my favorite sluggers because he was a total carryover from the late 90s era mashers. Slugs 35-40 HR a year, hits about .280-.290 at his peak, and has a BB vs. K ratio of like 55 vs. 140.

In another era, he'd have been almost a Sammy Sosa clone just without the speed.
From age 28 on, Cruz hit 442 home runs, Sosa hit 438. From his age 30 season on, Cruz is fifth all time in home runs behind Bonds, Ruth, Palmeiro and Aaron. Cruz was one of the best late blooming sluggers ever. Of course he was also suspended for steroid use.

alkeiper

Reaction score
Never too early!

Also you know things are bad in the bottom half when the Oakland As, the team actively trying to strip itself for parts before it ships to Vegas, is not in the bottom 3!
The A's got better in the second half because waiver wire pickings were better than the flotsam on their roster. It's not much of an endorsement. I can't buy into a 112 loss team going into a lame duck season as anything higher than 30.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yankees waived Domingo German. German threw a perfect gane v the A's last season

alkeiper

Reaction score
Brenton Doyle won the NL gold glove in center field. He had a .593 OPS playing in Colorado but did so well in the field that he had a positive WAR.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Brenton Doyle won the NL gold glove in center field. He had a .593 OPS playing in Colorado but did so well in the field that he had a positive WAR.
He had a +26 TZR in the NL. For context, Fernando Tatis Jr was 2nd at 21 and Ke'Bryan Hayes was 3rd at 17. Julio Rodriguez led the AL with 19.