Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Music comments that don't warrant a thread

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I miss those days where bands had random numbers in their names.

Somewhat related but the company I'm working for is having their 25th anniversary next week in New York and has special celebrity guest Travis Barker. You'd think it was Lennon back from the dead the way he's being fawned over. Team chat wants people to think of questions for him, I just keep trying to find a work safe way to ask if he preferred almost burning to death to Angels And Airwaves.

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I am guessing “The Hell Song” was one of them. That was the one with all of the action figures that was kind of a marginally less obnoxious precursor to Robot Chicken

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I mean, what ever became of Ruben Studdard or Taylor Hicks?

I thought winners get a record deal with a guaranteed first record but the article says she didn't even get that (the label released her)?

Who would you say is the most successful Idol winner? I would argue Carrie Underwood edges out Kelly Clarkson.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken are doing a Season 2 20th Anniversary tour soon. Time flies.

Big Rube also has a successful Luther Vandrosw tribute act, which makes sense for what he’d be doing in 2023.

Taylor Hicks was on my friend’s podcast and he seems like he is just happy to be grinding it out as a working musician. He probably still lives off that “Do I Make You Proud?” money and doesn’t have to worry about busking.

Last moderately successful AI winner was Philip Phillips and that was over ten years ago now (time flies x2). I couldn’t identify a recent winner of Idol if they were standing in front of me (perhaps on a train platform!)

Valeyard

Reaction score
Most one hit wonders succeed at having more singular hits than acts who have multiple ones. He's right.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
Thoughts on AI generated music. A bunch of people have done cartoon characters singing famous songs:

Valeyard

Reaction score
Friend shared an AI of Jim Morrison covering Lana Del Rey and it sounded really fucking bad.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
A lot of the American Idol winners didn’t win at the start of the pandemic. That definitely hurt her chances at making it big, not being able to do live performances and the like.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Her case is the worst example but AI hasn’t created a star in 11-12 years though. And The Voice hasn’t created any major stars either. People who still watch reality singing competitions, just watch it for the judges banter and drama and dgaf about the contestants once the show is done.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
“I’m not sure if this book is necessary “- Corey @Laz arus (Culture Crossfire)

Valeyard

Reaction score

Classic.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One of my friends is a damn good multi-genre drummer and his daughter is following in his footsteps. They've enrolled her in private lessons at a local studio and also she's taking music in her elementary school. The private studio shared a video of a group of their student musicians completely nailing it on Santeria by Sublime. Damn impressive considering the whole group of students is 10-13. Then the post right under is the instructors at the private studio turning up in full force for the drummer's 5th grade band concert.

I can't even imagine what it must be like to have already developed the skills to manage a full drum set in after school endeavours just to be "snare drum 1 of 5" back at the elementary school. And this is why I'm not a parent because I see a reality here I'm requesting space for my kid's full kit and a spot in the program for a solo performance. Gives me a good idea to ship some of my unused musical instruments to my niece. Especially my cowbell and drum sticks.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Lukewarm take: I hate music videos.

Not long ago, I watched the video for "She Knows" by J. Cole. I respect that videos largely reflect the vision of what the artist wanted to communicate in their song, but I want to just listen to the song, and let it evoke whatever happens to actually be on my heart. I don't so much want to be told, "This is what you should be thinking about when you hear this song."

Because I'll tell you what, when I first heard that song years ago, on whatever streaming service I was using before I broke down and switched over to Spotify, the mental picture that I created definitely did not line up with that fucking video.

Valeyard

Reaction score
A video doesn't steal your perception of a song, though.