Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBA Offseason 2024: Steph, what are you doing here so early?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sorry CWM.

Is it too early to say that Jordan Poole wasn’t (necessarily) the problem?

Bringing back Draymond certainly seems GD stupid.

In a week and half, I might have to retitle subtitle “Giannis, here this early again!?” I don’t think any of the mods are Bucks fans. Sorry snuffy.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Imagine being a fan of a team already in their off-season. Not this guy, certainly!*

*I'm pointing to myself here.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry CWM.

Is it too early to say that Jordan Poole wasn’t (necessarily) the problem?
So it's year 6 of the "rebuild" huh... *they went 34-38 in 2020-2021 and had just a 5 year stretch where they were winning games.

"There is nothing spectacular happening in Washington. No gaudy streak, no shattering disappointment. The Wizards are a few years behind Detroit, according to Wizards general manager, Will Dawkins. They are young and currently without All-Star-caliber talent."

"Here's a big idea, or NBA truism, the Unattainable Triangle of Roster Construction: You cannot have youth, flexibility and stars at the same time. Trying to maintain all three at once, he thinks, has been part of the Wizard's problem in the recent past."

Detroit I guess is also in a rebuild and they've had just 1 winning season since 2018-2019 (41-41) and 2015-16 (44-38). I hate the notion of basically "tanking" and trying to qualify it as a "rebuild" just to hopefully get back to mediocrity never mind legitimate, actual success.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wizards/Bullets have made it to the second round (and no further) just five times in the forty six years since they won the NBA Championship.

They need to be mentioned more for most incompetent sports franchise. Only reason they aren’t, I’m guessing, is cause a lot of sportswriters are boomers who are old enough to remember when they went to 4 NBA Finals (and won one) in the ‘70s.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My dude. Maybe the problem is you and not admitting to yourself that you should have never left Golden State.

And now it’s probably too late to go back there. Maybe OKC would take him back and he can have the LeBron redemptive arc but if he wasn’t happy not being the man in Phoenix (or not being the man in Golden State)…

KD has to be the most sensitive NBA superstar of all time.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Now the Wizards and Hornets are interested in hiring Darvin Hamas.

Like I get it that there are only so many truly good NBA coaches but why hire someone who has just failed spectacularly? NBA and MLB are in competition for what league can host the most sewer franchises.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
I suppose it could be a Mike Brown situation where he may find his niche coaching younger teams. It does sort of feel like he was set up to be a scapegoat, but I was never really too keen on his hiring and there was absolutely no good to come from keeping him. No matter how good Jokic and the Nuggets are, when you lead at half all five games of a series you lost 4-1, that is a reflection of the coach.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They led for 73% of the series and only won one game. That’s almost worse than any of Doc Rivers’ bad playoff coaching performances. Heck, Hamas might still have a job if he blew a 3-1 lead in this series!

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Whole staff was fired, including Phil Handy who was held over from Vogel’s staff.

Also Darvin was fired over the phone, which is kinda shitty regardless how you feel about him as a coach

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
The Suns fired Frank Vogel yesterday (because clearly he was the reason they were such a disappointment) and it’s looking like Coach Bud is gonna be the replacement.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
The Atlanta Hawks won the draft lottery for the first time. The last time they had the #1 pick was in 1975. They selected David Thompson, who opted instead to join the Denver Nuggets, then of the ABA, who would retain his rights upon the merger a year later.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Unless they pick an Anthony Bennett type, Atlanta has really accelerated their rebuild. Houston getting #3 is also pretty big. Even in a weak draft year, both teams should be in the playoffs next year if they pick a decent to good player.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Unless they pick an Anthony Bennett type, Atlanta has really accelerated their rebuild. Houston getting #3 is also pretty big. Even in a weak draft year, both teams should be in the playoffs next year if they pick a decent to good player.
Thinking on Rockets Twitter is trade the 3rd plus a player or two for a star player and accelerate the playoff push.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, those two aforementioned teams could definitely trade that for a player. I don’t think the Hawks will since they have been trying to get rid of Clint Capela for the last three years and Alex Sarr would fill that void.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Last edited:

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m fine with the Lakers taking Bronny cause it’s not like you’re taking some shit players kid, you’re making Lebron fuckin James happy. Like I’m ok with that.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bronny picked a good year to enter the draft tbh since this class is so crappy that I honestly wouldn’t fault a team for using a mid-low first round pick on him.

Any team except for the Spurs (with their #8 pick) or Thunder who’d pick him in the lottery would be the sports equivalent of “I think I could get the stripper to fall in love with me!” LeBron wants to play with his kid but not if it results in a Jordan on the Wizards era.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As everyone expected for the past few months, NBA will be announcing their new media rights deals with ESPN, Amazon and NBC/Peacock after the 2024-2024 season.

This means next season will be the final season at Warner, including the much beloved Inside the NBA show.

NBC will have Basketball Night in America on Sunday evenings following the NFL season.