Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NFL Offseason 2024: We’re Onto the Pat McAfee Show.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In any case, for whatever good he did with Ohio State’s defense, Jeff Hafley has spent the past four years ruining BC’s!

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
The last eighteen quarterbacks to lose their Super Bowl debut never made it back. You have to go all the way back to Jim Kelly.

As a starter that is, because Bledsoe technically made it back as a backup.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t get the continued burial of Mac Jones, HQ. Are they just trying to destroy whatever value he has left? Or maybe it’s the Belichick camp leaking this since they hate him so much?
Don't really care so long as Mac gets dealt this offseason. Get whatever they can... also the mantra of, "value" is so fucking overblown. We constantly see 1st Round picks get dealt for 5th or 6th Rounders at best just 2-3 years into their careers. Coaches and GMs know the tape always matters first. If you suck on the field, stuff like being a dick off-the-field/locker room crap means even less because you already suck so there's little value to tank.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If Mac was such a toxic, locker room cancer I don’t get why the team had such high confidence in him heading to the last two off seasons.

You can blame Mac for his faults but I think New England is to blame for not having a fallback plan. Well besides becoming so terrible you get a top three pick in the draft.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
If Mac was such a toxic, locker room cancer I don’t get why the team had such high confidence in him heading to the last two off seasons.

You can blame Mac for his faults but I think New England is to blame for not having a fallback plan. Well besides becoming so terrible you get a top three pick in the draft.
I think they genuinely thought Mac would grow under Bill O'Brien and be more of a team player last offseason, which didn't happen when he spiraled after the struggles of the OL and it became clear he was losing the locker room/coach's confidence. Everybody thought his on the field behavior in 2022 was just the Patricia/Judge stuff and it turned out that Mac simply isn't able to hide his emotions well or play well when things get rocky and those will doom a QB fast in the NFL.

Belichick also was bringing in QBs who were touted at one time (Matt Corral was once projected as a 1st Round pick and still went in the 3rd Round in 2022) kind of like he did with Jalen Reagor at WR but that didn't work out so they were forced into a situation where they basically just had Zappe to lean on as the backup, despite his awful pre-season. I think in any other season, they would've let Malik Cunningham strictly focus on WR but they had to use him as a PS QB/3rd QB because they had nobody else until Baltimore claimed him (where he reportedly struggled as a QB there too by the way).

I think it was simply a case of missing more than they hit + injuries. TE Pharaoh Brown showed glimpses of being a good fit. Kendrick Bourne was playing well then ended up just playing 8 games all year (would've loved to have seen him with Zappe tbh); Marcus Jones I really think they would've shifted him from CB and experimented with him as a 3rd Down RB/Slot WR option if he hadn't missed all year; Demario Douglas was looking like a solid find late in the draft. Boutte didn't do anything and had some off-field shit but could develop in Year 2/Year 3?

They thought DeVante Parker could be Brandon Lloyd and he wasn't. They thought JuJu Smith-Schuster could be their answer to Jakobi as a poor man's WR1/solid WR2 but he never quite clicked completely. Mike Gesicki was basically Jonnu Smith 2.0, an absolute flop despite being touted as a receiving TE because he couldn't block. Tyquan Thornton wasn't a good enough route runner and didn't have the hands to be much more than a vertical threat who'd get a few targets a game at best.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That is really just why I think the Patriots need to take best offensive player available at #3 regardless of whether it's a QB, offensive tackle, or wide receiver...or just trade down and get several picks. A foundation needs to be built. Offense is so talent deprived that even if there is the next Tom Brady in there, he isn't going to be the magic bullet that will take the Patriots to the playoffs in the next year or two. Barring top free agents getting hit on the head and thinking it's seven years ago and New England is a great destination.

Staff member
Reaction score
The Raiders are so bad at QB that you have to put the option on the table. I think O'Connell was bottom five among starters in EPA, the only starters ranked below him were Pickett, Howell, Zach Wilson, and Bryce Young.

Meanwhile Cousins ranks 4th. And then my line of thinking is, if we don't have to trade away four picks to move up, what else can we add to the team to play with him? It's definitely a good plan B. If you can't move up to the third pick you don't have a choice. If you're the Raiders and you think you can roll with O'Connell you're sabotaging your new head coach right out the gate.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I agree with all that but I think Cousins is a guy whose stats make him look better than he is. I guess I just have a different standard, because this isn’t a guy who wins playoff games with big performances. But then if your QB situation is that bad, I can see why you would jump on it, because getting back in the playoffs would be an improvement.

With that being said, I don’t know how much his contract would eat into the rest of the roster.

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with all that but I think Cousins is a guy whose stats make him look better than he is. I guess I just have a different standard, because this isn’t a guy who wins playoff games with big performances. But then if your QB situation is that bad, I can see why you would jump on it, because getting back in the playoffs would be an improvement.

With that being said, I don’t know how much his contract would eat into the rest of the roster.
After they cut Jimmy, Renfrow, and a few other unnecessary spare parts they can create about 60-70 mil in room. But we need a right tackle, RG, DT, RB, corner is an option. I guess it all depends whether or not they can trade those picks. If they can't then they can address those positions in the draft, and they will have to because they will have to use their cap to sign a QB. We have absolutely nothing at RB or those two OL positions, so it's kind of a 'you can trade to get a QB and sign this stuff...orrrrrrr you have to sign a QB and draft these players.'