Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Oh. Canada. part 2

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1185580615757905922

this could be massive. if the cons lose because of this, they'll teach kids about #berngate in politics classes.

ViciousFish

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He won’t face charges or any real repercussions. Another rich white guy stealing money and getting a slap on the wrist.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Imagine being so far up your own ass that you suggest Indigenous activists "check their privilege."

https://twitter.com/PnPCBC/status/1228371754042695686

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably should have had a post after the actual shooting but I was so disgusted by it all I couldn't find the energy to post about it.

https://apnews.com/653eec910463a257ae139fdc3f80c878 We finally banned all assault-style weapons in Canada.

Trudeau cited numerous mass shootings in the country, including the rampage that killed 22 in Nova Scotia April 18 and 19. He announced the ban of over 1,500 models and variants of assault-style firearms, including two guns used by the gunman as well as the AR-15 and other weapons that have been used in a number of mass shootings in the United States

There is a two-year amnesty period while the government creates a program that will allow current owners to receive compensation for turning in the designated firearms or keep them through a grandfathering process yet to be worked out.

Under the amnesty, the newly prohibited firearms can only be transferred or transported within Canada for specific purposes. Owners must keep the guns securely stored until there is more information on the buyback program.

It's a good start, but only a start. They're planning to do more. We should do as much as possible to make this a gun free society except for those who actually need them.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
I thought it was a pretty good move, and I like to criticize Trudeau as much as anyone. It's significant, and will have a big impact I think in reducing gun violence.

I also like he said 'thoughts aren't enough' hehe

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

this is a huge story. I'm not surprised at all about them finding bodies but the sheer number is a bit shocking. Canadians like to pretend we don't have any problems or that they aren't as serious as other places but these schools were only closed down in 1969. Systemic racism against natives is still a huge issue. The only reason most Canadians are able to pretend it isn't an issue is because we have ethnically cleansed and segregated them so successfully.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I haven't heard of this until the story broke. But, in researching it this is some Nazis level shit:

"During this same period, Canadian government scientists performed nutritional tests on students and knowingly kept some students undernourished to serve as the control sample"

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's absolutely disgusting seeing this stuff and I hope they can find more information about who this was but I'm seeing claims that at least some of the graves were originally marked and the Catholic priests who ran the school removed the markers.

I know Ontario has already started up a fund to investigate more schools and other provinces are following suit. The US also announced they will be doing so at their sites. I'd expect a lot more to be found everywhere.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Canadians seem to think we aren't racist because we were nice to Jackie Robinson in the 40s.

Our history classes are very sanitized, I'm sure I was an adult before I heard about the residential schools (and that name doesn't make them sound that bad) and whatever they've found already is just scratching the surface.

And then there was the guy in London who ran down a family just because they were Muslim. It hasn't been a good month.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
we learned about the residential schools in our school but it wasn't a super indepth thing. I've looked at my kids textbooks over the years and there is a lot more coverage of now badly we scerwed the natives over although it still glosses over things too much.

I think older generation of Canadians are still in denial about the extent of racism but people of our generation and especially the younger ones are more and more aware of just how far we have to go. Just because we might be "better than the US" doesn't mean we're good. And right now when I see people trying to make the better than claim I just think...now isn't the time.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Libs win a minority. Bernier loses. Not a perfect night but I'll take it. I don't even need to look to see that my NDP vote didn't make a bit of difference in my riding.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Slightly pleased that the PPC candidate in my riding came in 4th with the uncomfortable amount of signs I saw for him around town. I thought they might finish ahead of the NDP, at least. Still got over 3000 votes, though.

Zetterberg is God

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cons have no one to blame but themselves. When they're still supporting Jason Kenney and his awful Covid response it pretty much says it all.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score

Following these increases, the minimum wage will increase every October according to the inflation rate.

Holy shit this is actually a super progressive idea that people have been begging for for years all over the world, and conservative Doug ford is one of the first to implement it. Credit where credit is due.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Doug's cabinet froze the planned minimum wage increase in 2018 when he took office, it was one of his first acts when he took office. He deserves absolutely no credit for this.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
4a55sfpqnae81.png

Oh boy