Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Oscars 2022

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
This is one of the most disconnected years for the Oscars by the results of these nominations. Next year probably will be more of the same likely with productions still slowly happening due to covid. The main film that's been nominated in a variety of categories (Power of the Dog) I never even heard of, but certainly plan on checking it out now. Dune got a ton of academy love (kind of surprised by this) but no best director nom? A bit strange there. Dune should walk away with most of the technical awards. The best actor and actress stuff seems like the academy really isn't wanting to stray away from star power, but the supporting nominations are a bit more obscure. That said, there is alot of outside the box stuff here and there in nominations, including some other lesser known films (Drive My Car and CODA) getting some love, yet either one I have not even remotely heard about. In fact, theres alot of films I haven't heard about on these lists, so I will have my work cut out for me this year to check out some really unfamiliar territory. Nightmare Alley and Licorice Pizza getting some love was a nice touch.

Best Picture
Belfast
CODA
Don’t Look Up
Drive My Car
Dune
King Richard
Licorice Pizza
Nightmare Alley
The Power of the Dog
West Side Story

Best Director
Kenneth Branagh (“Belfast”)
Ryûsuke Hamaguchi (“Drive My Car”)
Paul Thomas Anderson (“Licorice Pizza”)
Jane Campion (“The Power of the Dog”)
Steven Spielberg (“West Side Story”)

Best Lead Actor
Javier Bardem (“Being the Ricardos”)
Benedict Cumberbatch (“The Power of the Dog”)
Andrew Garfield (“Tick, Tick … Boom!”)
Will Smith (“King Richard”)
Denzel Washington (“The Tragedy of Macbeth”)

Best Lead Actress
Jessica Chastain (“The Eyes of Tammy Faye”)
Olivia Colman (“The Lost Daughter”)
Penélope Cruz (“Parallel Mothers”)
Nicole Kidman (“Being the Ricardos”)
Kristen Stewart (“Spencer”)

Best Supporting Actor
Ciarán Hinds (“Belfast”)
Troy Kotsur (“CODA”)
Jesse Plemons (“The Power of the Dog”)
J.K. Simmons (“Being the Ricardos”)
Kodi Smit-McPhee (“The Power of the Dog”)

Best Supporting Actress
Jessie Buckley (“The Lost Daughter”)
Ariana DeBose (“West Side Story”)
Judi Dench (“Belfast”)
Kirsten Dunst (“The Power of the Dog”)
Aunjanue Ellis (“King Richard”)

Best Adapted Screenplay
CODA
Drive My Car
Dune
The Lost Daughter
The Power of the Dog

Best Original Screenplay
Belfast
Don’t Look Up
King Richard
Licorice Pizza
The Worst Person in the World

Best Cinematography
Dune
Nightmare Alley
The Power of the Dog
The Tragedy of Macbeth
West Side Story

Best Animated Feature Film
Encanto
Flee
Luca
The Mitchells vs. the Machines
Raya and the Last Dragon

Best Animated Short Film
Affairs of the Art
Bestia
Boxballet
Robin Robin
The Windshield Wiper

Best Costume Design
Cruella
Cyrano
Dune
Nightmare Alley
West Side Story

Best Original Score
Don’t Look Up
Dune
Encanto
Parallel Mothers
The Power of the Dog

Best Sound
Belfast
Dune
No Time to Die
The Power of the Dog
West Side Story

Best Original Song
Be Alive (King Richard)
Dos Oruguitas (Encanto)
Down To Joy (Belfast)
No Time To Die (No Time to Die)
Somehow You Do (Four Good Days)

Best Documentary Feature
Ascension
Attica
Flee
Summer of Soul (…Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised)
Writing With Fire

Best Documentary Short Subject
Audible
Lead Me Home
The Queen of Basketball
Three Songs for Benazir
When We Were Bullies

Best Film Editing
Don’t Look Up
Dune
King Richard
The Power of the Dog
Tick, Tick…Boom!

Best International Feature Film
Drive My Car(Japan)
Flee (Denmark)
The Hand of God (Italy)
Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom (Bhutan)
The Worst Person in the World (Norway)

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
Coming 2 America
Cruella
Dune
The Eyes of Tammy Faye
House of Gucci

Best Production Design
Dune
Nightmare Alley
The Power of the Dog
The Tragedy of Macbeth
West Side Story

Best Visual Effects
Dune
Free Guy
No Time to Die
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Spider-Man: No Way Home

Best Live Action Short Film
Ala Kachuu – Take and Run
The Dress
The Long Goodbye
On My Mind
Please Hold

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I saw Power of the Dog a couple months back. The acting was really great, especially from Benedict Cumberbatch. It was one of those movies where I loved the parts more than the whole. The movie was solid, with a great ending, especially if you pay attention during the rest of the movie, but something was missing from thinking it was a great movie overall. Worth a watch for the performances, at least.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I saw Power of the Dog a couple months back. The acting was really great, especially from Benedict Cumberbatch. It was one of those movies where I loved the parts more than the whole. The movie was solid, with a great ending, especially if you pay attention during the rest of the movie, but something was missing from thinking it was a great movie overall. Worth a watch for the performances, at least.
Was this released theatrically? It completely fell off the radar for me.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It had an extremely limited release and was mostly released on Netflix (so check it out there, I guess!). Only reason I heard about it (and Nightmare Alley) was cause Marc Maron interviewed some of the castmembers on WTF. '90s alt comics turned podcasters are the new film critics? Idk...

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm happy for Kirsten Dunst and Kristen Stewart (who I always thought was way more talented than her reputation suggests) but yeah, very disconnected from a lot of these films. Guess I have some catching up to do before the ceremony.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't really get all the love for CODA besides Troy Kotsur who is by and far the best part of the movie. It's mostly a paint by numbers coming of age film except it has two or three really memorable scenes towards the end. Same with Belfast beyond the excellent cinematography. That movie didn't really connect with me I guess.

Kind of a meh year in general for film. Most of the films I really enjoyed (C'mon C'mon, Pig, The Card Dealer) got absolutely nothing because they were released before November. There was really nothing I loved. The only movie I gave four and a half stars to on letterboxd this year was Pig, but I still have a couple of heavy hitters left to watch.

Power Of The Dog is really good, but something was missing to put it to that next level. Acting was great all around though.

For best picture I've seen Belfast, CODA, King Richard, Power Of The Dog, Nightmare Alley, and Dune and I'll be rooting for Dune out of that batch. Very excited to see Licorice Pizza and Drive My Car though.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
I'm happy for Kirsten Dunst and Kristen Stewart (who I always thought was way more talented than her reputation suggests) but yeah, very disconnected from a lot of these films. Guess I have some catching up to do before the ceremony.
Same here. I still need to see Stewart's performance as Diana, and then 8 of the 10 best picture films I need to get onto before end of March. Really not looking forward to checking out West Side Story, but I'll get to it.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Kind of a meh year in general for film. Most of the films I really enjoyed (C'mon C'mon, Pig, The Card Dealer) got absolutely nothing because they were released before November.
Agreed on Cmon Cmon and Card Dealer. Both excellent films for sure. I enjoyed Pig as well but I'll be shocked if a Nic Cage film ever sees even remotely close to the light of day with the academy.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Cmon cmon was the best movie I saw last year. I’ve seen a few of these and most were great but it would be nice to see more noms that don’t have the promotional push

Gary

If You're Into It, I'm Out of It
Reaction score
Kinda shocked "Worst Person in the World" didn’t get any acting nominations considering all the praise it got. I had a feeling “Don’t Look Up” (which I hated) would get nominated, but my God “Being the Ricardos” didn’t need that many nominations. Also, Nic Cage was robbed, and I’m happy for and am rooting for Stewart, who’s been one of our best actors for a while now. I need to see “Worst Person”, “Drive My Car”, C’mon C’mon” and “Red Rocket” (which from what I’m hearing was also snubbed)

Another thing-the easy target awards (Razzies) nominated Ben Affleck for worst actor for “The Last Duel”, and-the fuck? His performance in that movie is actually great, and easily one of his career.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like another Oscars I can feel like skipping. The stuff I liked I knew wasn't gonna get any main noms (Cruella, Spider-Man, Nightmare Alley for the most part).

Already looking forward to next year and The Batman getting snubbed hard.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Being The Ricardos being nominated for multiple Oscars when no one really enjoyed it beyond a few people finding it to be a dumb, fun biopic is one of those choices that I just find fishy.

HEY ACADEMY! YOU HAVE SOME 'SPLAININ TO DO!

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Just for funsies here's the RT scores of the 10 Nominated Best Picture candidates (critics scores only)

Drive My Car = 98%
CODA = 96%
The Power of the Dog = 94%
West Side Story = 92%
Licorice Pizza = 91%
King Richard = 90%
Belfast = 87%
Dune = 83%
Nightmare Alley = 80%
Don't Look Up = 56% (lol)

The Worst Person in the World was at 98%, Parallel Mothers got 97%, The Mitchells vs. the Machines got 97%, The Lost Daughter was at 95%, Spider-Man: No Way Home was at 93%(!), Shang-Chi and The Legend of the 10 Rings got 91%, and Tick, Tick... Boom! got 88%.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think star choice and director matters almost as much as if the movie was actually good or audiences liked it. They just see Bradley Cooper and know GDT's last movie won Best Picture so hey, let's give it some nominations even though it was a bomb.

I really really liked Nightmare Alley btw and think it's deserving of nominations!

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only people who I've seen say anything good about Don't Look Up are preachy Hollywood liberals.

The only best picture nominee I've seen is Power of the Dog and I didn't think it was anything great. I like most of the actors and it would be nice if Plemons and Dunst won, but nothing about his performance especially really sticks out.

I have interest in seeing Licorice Pizza and Drive My Car, but seeing those types of movies at my local theatre is tough at the best of times, let alone when they were closed for a month and now they're just making sure people can go see Spider-man if they missed it.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Surprised the excellent and Academy-friendly (the two aren't always mutually exclusive) Parallel Mothers didn't get more love, but that it was partially funded by Netflix (American money) ruled it out for the International category.

muzzington

Donald Dump or whatever
Reaction score
For anyone more in touch is Ciarán Hinds any chance of taking Best Supporting?

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Don't have an answer to that but I hope Van Morrison wins for his contribution to that film because it will be HILARIOUS

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So far I've knocked out The Power of the Dog and Don't Look Up while also being in the room for Nightmare Alley (I was doing school stuff so really didn't pay attention). Don't Look Up was a lot of fun and silly in parts to the extent I thought "it's got the cast for an Oscar submission but seems too fun for them."

The Power of the Dog was ultimately a good film for people that enjoy movies as art. I haven't compared it to the other films nominated, yet, so I don't know if I think it is the best of the bunch. I'll say though, I felt it dragged a lot. The ending was definitely an "a-ha" moment for me. In fact, I think all of the threads that got tied up after chapter V finally landing it was pushed my opinion from indifferent to favorable.

Cumberbatch is a treat throughout the film.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tick Tick Boom was damn incredible. I'm not sure how it didn't make the cut for a Best Picture nod. Garfield hit a home run in his performance. Lin-Manuel Miranda directed a masterpiece. This was an absolute love letter to Larson.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
What an unappealing trio of hosts, I'm not feeling those choices at all. Esp Schumer

I ended up watching Power of the Dog last night myself, and alot of themes goin on in that one, both the gf and I really enjoyed it for the most part. I could see it winning the best picture category since it directly connected to toxic masculinity, which ties into Trump-like things in a sense. I think Jane even herself made that comparison. A few of those chapters in the middle were a bit muddling, but it kind of all tied into the final chapter and a really strong "oh shit, it all makes sense now" kinda thing.

Don't Look Up and Tick Tick Boom are on deck for the rest of the week!

Staff member
Reaction score

That's California in a nutshell lmao. LA Mayor is a guy who has been busted not wearing a mask numerous times and he's keeping the selectively enforced mandate in place anyway for longer than the rest of California for reasons unbeknownst to me. I guess if everyone except him has to do it, then cool. But it's like prohibition now where nobody follows any of the rules uniformly just because they don't have to.

Last edited:

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There are people who think Bradley Cooper made the most of his limited screentime in Licorice Pizza. Those people are right, but you know who else did a lot with their one scene?
FHzwE6BWUAEahR4
Watching this with a decent-sized crowd last night and hearing lots of people cracking up at every single one of her line readings? Folks, that's why I love going to the movies.