Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Oscars 2022

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Is anyone seriously arguing Will Smith's Oscar being revoked? Ban him from the ceremony for a few years, sure but it seems like an overreaction. As BBBD alluded to, many former Oscar winners have done way worse things.

Chris Rock apparently didn't say much interesting last night in Boston during his first show since the incident, at least RE: the incident itself. Idk what people to expect. Him write 75 minutes of material in three days!? Fact that he was still allegedly shook up and confused over it days later definitely adds credence to my belief that it's a shoot.

(@Laz : Or Chris Rock is a hell of a seller!)

Last edited:

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Chris Rock apparently didn't say much interesting last night in Boston during his first show since the incident, at least RE: the incident itself. Idk what people to expect. Him write 75 minutes of material in three days!? Fact that he was still allegedly shook up and confused over it days later definitely adds credence to my belief that it's a shoot.
1648754702357.png
New England Man!

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After stewing over this for a few days I've come to the conclusion that the Oscars can't be salvaged. This latest blemish on an already tarnished institution is the final blow. When they awarded not one but TWO "Oscars" to Justice League it became obvious that the Oscars were a bad idea.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm surprised at the level of doom & gloom about the last few years of the Oscar. Yeah, it's less important than it was 20 years ago or even 10 years ago but do people legitimately think it's going to get pulled off the air and thrown into the dung heap like the Golden Globes?

Worst case scenario is I could see it slumming it on TBS or Bravo if the major networks decided they're not worth the headache but I have a hard time grasping idea of the Oscars not being on TV. I've been wrong before though.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 2022 Oscars drew 16.6 million viewers on Sunday, up 58% from last year's record-low audience of 10.5 million, according to Live + Same Day Nielsen data, which includes out-of-home viewing. The 94th Academy Awards averaged a 3.8 rating in the key adults 18-49 demographic, up 73% from the 2021 telecast. https://variety.com/2022/tv/ratings/oscars-ratings-2022-academy-awards-1235210795/

Compared to before the pandemic the ratings are terrible but the big tip up from last year i'm sure will be seen as a positive sign.

It's also important to consider who is watching the Oscars. As long as the network and advertisers believe the Right People are watching it doesn't matter if the ratings shrink.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Man, there's going to be so many crappy jokes about this at the Grammys tomorrow.

(and since when have The Grammys come AFTER the Oscars!? I'm assuming it's cause of COVID reasons.

Yep. It was supposed to happen in January in LA but got postponed to Las Vegas in April cause of COVID. Man, it's been a rough year for all occupants of Crypto.com Arena. That's what they get for such a stupid rebrand!)

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Academy never delivers on their stips. You know they'll just drop this out of nowhere. No long term storytelling anymore.

Staff member
Reaction score

I wonder why this guy stays with his wife who hates him when everyone loves him this much.