Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Oscars 2022

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Yep, that probably explains the reaction more than anything. Not that the joke was that low of a blow, but there is alot of insecurity going on with that marriage that now has overtly beyond spilled into the public eye in an uncomfortable way.

I'm still tryin to make sense of Will's speech too. Yes, we get it, he loves his wife....but does that warrant him to physically assault a known at times controversial comedian who meant no ill will towards his wife? And how in the fuck did that have anything to do with the plight of the Williams sisters father?!

I've never seen nor never will see a more flustered and awestruck crowd at the Oscars ever.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
So there had to be some previous beef or issues with Rock and Smith, right? I get if he was fired up over a low blow of a joke since she's dealing with a medical issue that made her bald, but my god....that is a brash reactiveness that really needs to be addressed on some level. Smith should have and could have certainly just confronted him privately over it, but instead really crossed a line publicly IMO.

Well, there was that time that Chris Rock went after Jada, at a previous Academy Awards; it's not out of the question that Will spoke to him privately, after that, and told him that the next time he joked about Jada on stage, it was going to be trouble...

As for myself, this incident has done a nice job of reminding me that I'm still a work in progress, and not nearly as close to being enlightened as I would like to be, because my first, second and third reactions to this have all been, "He shouldn't have been talking shit." Because, yeah, you can say that Chris Rock is a comedian, and he was telling jokes, and that's true, as far as it goes. But, outside of awards shows, comedians aren't typically telling jokes about people who are in a position to put hands on them, to their face. Comedians on stage at a comedy club can bust on hecklers with impunity, because they know that security's not going to let that guy get within ten feet of him.

Also:

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Should've let it all roll off like beads of sweat on Jada's skull.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If Will didn't get up to slap Chris Rock, no one would even be talking about that joke. That should tell you how inoffensive it was.

Yeah, he won the best actor award last night. But his career and personal life have been heading down a weird path these last few years, I can see him becoming one of those crazy, cancelled old celebrities in a few years (similar to Tom Cruise).

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Lupita Nyong'o is beautiful though so that was cool.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
If Will didn't get up to slap Chris Rock, no one would even be talking about that joke. That should tell you how inoffensive it was.

Yeah, he won the best actor award last night. But his career and personal life have been heading down a weird path these last few years, I can see him becoming one of those crazy, cancelled old celebrities in a few years (similar to Tom Cruise).

So Will is going to be making new installments to a huge franchise like Mission: Impossible, while making a sequel to one of the most popular 80s movies? Sounds like a good tradeoff to me.

Seriously though, nothing will come of the slap. Chris Rock already said he's not pressing charges. Will is going to get even more work after the Oscar win. By the end of the week people will be talking about something else. But this was a long time coming. This isn't the first time Chris has made a joke at Jada's expense, as has been previously mentioned. I'm not condoning what Will did on live TV, but there are times when things just boil over and you're not thinking about people watching at home.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
You missed that another Snyder movie (Army of the Dead) beat Spider Man for a second fake award later in the show.
The voting was also done through Twitter so... of course Snyder stuff won.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just saw some stuff on twitter that you have to factor in Scientology in what Will did last night. According to the cult's doctrine he did the right thing in slapping Rock because he was "disrespected" and to impose his power /rank over a non Scientologist

Reaction score
Chris Rock composed himself pretty well. Will Smith was out of line here. If he was that upset about it, he should have spoken with him after the ceremony. Instead, he puts the spotlight on a joke that was pretty forgettable, embarrasses himself on a night everyone was rooting for him to win, and overshadows all the other winners on the best night of their lives. I love Will, but he's a mess.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Imagine if comedians now have to worry about random assholes being offended by their jokes coming up and attacking them. There were far worse jokes made at actors expense last night. I am still 50/50 on this being set up, but if it was legit than Smith is a massive loser. If you have an issue with a comedian take it up with him privately after the show, i'm sure Rock would not have gone there again if he knew it meant that much to Will and/or Jada, and his reaction just made it a billion times worse. Had there been no reaction, nobody is talking about a rando GI Jane joke today.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm definitely going with this being a shoot -- Rock seemed to be legitimately at a loss for words afterwards.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's definitely a shoot. Will Smith takes himself way too seriously to ever participate in a work like that.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also literally 30 seconds before that line he makes a joke about Javier Bardem not getting laid tonight and Javier doesn’t get up and slap him.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
So apparently the academy is "investigating" the situation and will determine if Smith violated some code of conduct, etc. I wonder if there is a possibility out of this that he loses the best actor award because of his conduct? Just food for thought....

Also a few other thoughts on the show last night...

Wesley Snipes looked way strangely unhealthy looking, underweight as fuck during the White Man Can't Jump deal. Time is not on his side.

The trio of hosts generally did not deliver, no surprise. Regina Hall was bearable, the other two....GTFO

Gaga handled the Liza Minelli situation really well at the end, I can't imagine there will be many further public appearances for Liza at this rate

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
anyone who thinks this is a work watches too much wrestling.
Chris Rock literally leans forward the moment Smith takes the stage, hands behind his back. He clearly knew that a smack was coming his way.

So what's more likely: a comedian, in a room full of security guards, decided to take a hit...or a couple of literal actors wanted to stage a publicity stunt?

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Will yelling the f word on live TV also convinced me it wasn't planned. This isn't Lawler and Kaufman, this was a guy who doesn't even swear on his records yelling it out on one of the most watched programs of the year. Chris Rock stuttering and stammering and generally standing in disbelief after it happened is also a point in the shoot camp.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
lol yeah. Chris Rock isn't that good of an actor.

Staff member
Reaction score
Will humiliating himself isn’t how those kinds of works usually go. People who have wealth don’t willingly do that very often.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I too, by far, thought Regina Hall was the best of the three hosts. She's way more naturally funny and charming than Amy and Wanda. Amy Schumer is so unlikeable

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m kinda glad it happened because I feel like that’s as close as we’re gonna get to confirming that the pandemic rewired peoples brains and fucked them up. When people start slapping the shit out of comics something happened

Reaction score
Literally something that's happened plenty of times before...and has been staged before.

When has this happened before? What was their end? Now compare it to this incident. And what good comes out of this incident? Who comes out looking good?

Chris Rock was legitimately shocked. He had his hands back and was smiling because who the fuck would expect Will Smith to smack him on stage. His reaction afterward was like “I just got smacked by Will Smith” and a classic NY stunned “Wowwwww.”

A dude who has made his career out of being a family man and not cursing in his albums is going to throw all that away for a stunt? Mr. never curse Will Smith is going to do this? Come on.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Literally something that's happened plenty of times before...and has been staged before.
The most famous example (can't think of any others, honestly) is Lawler and Kaufman. Lawler, obviously, being a legitimate wrestler and Kaufman having about as clear a grasp of the wrestling mindset as any wrestler had, let alone celebrity. Letterman was also obviously in on it and the swearing was left out of the live broadcast.

Additionally, people not trained (wrestler, MMA, etc) is not gonna feel comfortable throwing a full on slap and the same can be said of the one taking it. Will put everything into that slap.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
You're right. Time to stop watching wrestling because a guy literally leans forward when the "surprise attacker" is 15 feet away and closing. That's something that totally happens during unexpected and unplanned moments.

Hey, remember when Pauly Shore got attacked? Yeah. Hoax. Kaufman is an obvious one, too.

It's fine if you think it's real. I don't. It doesn't add up enough that an Oscar nominee/winner would risk it all just to throw hands over a bad joke. It does, though, make sense that an actor whose star has fallen as far as Will's would want to stir up more publicity for a project that has most gut reactions being "why." It also makes sense that an annual event with decreasing numbers, a year removed from their lowest, would push a stunt to garner interest.

There's just too many things working against this being completely real. That live broadcast television features a 7 second delay (thus why Will's language was dropped) that would allow the proverbial "killswitch" to be used in the event of, say, an entirely unplanned physical assault, and yet it wasn't?

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
His star can't have fallen that far -- he just won an Oscar!