Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Oscars 2022

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And this isn’t the first time Chris Rock has made jokes about her. You don’t let someone keep saying shit about your wife.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Jane Campion is now the 3rd woman in history to win Best Director. Women have now won the award twice in a row.

Staff member
Reaction score
FO5024CVIAQdNTA.jpg

lirl

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder how many people all of a sudden realized Fresh Prince wasn't real

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah why did he laugh first? He's also implying Demi Moore wasn't attractive with a shaved head in GI Jane with his actions

Staff member
Reaction score
He did it cause his wife told him to. Like how his wife fucks his son's friend and all that kind of shit.

Most women will explicitly tell you not to react like that to someone treating them badly, but their power balance is all fucked up, that's why he sat there weeping while telling some TV person about how she fucked her son's friend. Hard to respect someone like that.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looked more like a I'll laugh along with everyone else/nervous laugh to me.

I didn't think it was a very good joke tbh. Pointing out the bald woman and just going "GI Jane 2!" is pretty lame material. I don't think it's worth running up on the stage and hitting him either obviously because that's just fucking stupid. You have to be a rich/famous person to get away with assaulting someone in front of thousands of live witnesses and millions on tv.

All of that said if someone insulted my wife for something she couldn't help I'd probably lose my temper too.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Have no idea why this entered my mind but if Farley was still alive and was there last night we would have seen a throw down with him and Big Will. Farley was super protective of his best friends.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You missed that another Snyder movie (Army of the Dead) beat Spider Man for a second fake award later in the show.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad I left to try and fail to sleep. Although Army of the Dead is infinitely better than JLSC (which means its like 2 stars).

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
So there had to be some previous beef or issues with Rock and Smith, right? I get if he was fired up over a low blow of a joke since she's dealing with a medical issue that made her bald, but my god....that is a brash reactiveness that really needs to be addressed on some level. Smith should have and could have certainly just confronted him privately over it, but instead really crossed a line publicly IMO. He could have been arrested before the best actor part of the ceremony, which would have been weird. Speaking of weird, the speech he gave, while heartfelt and obviously emotional, was very strange in how he tried to connect the Williams father into what just happened, just totally WTF stuff. FWIW, he probably did deserve the best actor win, but what a fucked up turn of events to get there.

I guess this is kinda what the Oscars needed though to get people talking about the whole show, which I thought flowed better than most years. I enjoyed the homages to Pulp Fiction, Godfather, Bond, etc. The musical performances also overacheived a bit, glad the Bond song got the win.

Most of the other wins were kinda expected, although I thought Power of the Dog was winning best picture. I ended up not able to finish through all of the nominated films, but from what I saw (just had Drive My Car and Coda to watch) I thought Power was a virtual lock, with the possibility of Belfast as well. As it went, Brannagh got his just due with the original screenplay award (was pulling for Worst Person in the World, but oh well) and Jane got her just due with best director, so it evens out.

I think the big surprise was Chastain winning for Tammy Faye although I was hoping it would happen, but thought no way after Smith already winning for playing a role of someone in the public spotlight.

Also just due that Dune got all the technical awards......I viewed that a second time recently and the 3D and visual effects were awesome even rewatching it at home.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
His marriage has also been a public trainwreck for the last several years as they try to get it back on course so that probably added to his (idiotic) desire to be seen defending her.