Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Puroresu Love & Resources V3

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
I'm on @King Kamala's side on this one. Hitting the broken record drum here but as said I didn't even care for prime Mutoh and I cared even less/hated even more his supposed ONE LAST RUN in 2008 when that previous Tanahashi match occurred, and now in 2021 I just want to see him fuck off and... well okay def not that far, but just fuck off

tldr Fuck Mutoh

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cards That Don't Warrant A Thread x2

The movie Godzilla Vs Kong presents SUMMER STRUGGLE IN SAPPORO
July 10th, 2021
Live from Makomanai Ice Arena in Hokkaido, Japan

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match

El Desperado (c) Vs Taiji Ishimori

Eight Man Tag Team Match
Suzuki Gun (DOUKI, Yoshinabu Kanemaru, and Dangerous Tekkers) Vs LIJ (Shingo Takagi, BUSHI, Tetsuya Naito and SANADA)

CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and SHO) Vs United Empire (The Great O-Khan and Jeff Cobb)

Six Man Tag Team Match
Bullet Club (KENTA, El Phantasmo, and Yujiro Takahashi) Vs Hiroshi Tanahashi, Ryusuke Taguchi, and Rocky Romero

CHAOS (YOH and Tomohiro Ishii) Vs Bullet Club (EVIL and Dick Togo)

Kota Ibushi and Master Wato Vs Yuya Uemura and Yota Tsuji

The movie Godzilla Vs Kong presents SUMMER STRUGGLE IN SAPPORO
July 11th, 2021
Live from Makomanai Ice Arena in Hokkaido, Japan

IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Titles

Dangerous Tekkers (c) Vs Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito & SANADA)

Kota Ibushi and Master Wato Vs LIJ (Shingo Takagi and BUSHI)

CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and YOH) Vs United Empire (The Great O-Khan and Jeff Cobb)

Bullet Club (KENTA and Yujiro Takahashi) Vs Hiroshi Tanahashi and Yota Tsuji

Six Man Tag Team Match
Bullet Club (EVIL, El Phantasmo & Taiji Ishimori) Vs Tomohiro Ishii, Ryusuke Taguchi, and Rocky Romero)

SHO and Yuya Uemura Vs Suzuki Gun (El Desperado and Yoshinabu Kanemaru)

I've said this a bunch in the past year but this does feel like low point of my New Japan fandom since I started following a couple years back. These cards just look like souped up Road To shows lineups.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
they look like they have some enjoyable enough stuff that will hopefully setup the larger shows and G1. From their point of view there isn't much reason to blow through a lot of big stuff when Japan is in such bad shape so I get it.

If you're at such a low point in NJPW fandom then you should be getting into DG/AJPW/BJW! raid ditch's archive for the good ol shit. There's tons of great stuff to watch.

Slayer

Reaction score
NEW JAPAN IS BACK, BABY!
That sentiment sure wore off quickly

(Not meant to solely call you out KK as I saw a lot of fans saying that in the wake of the Shingo win who have also seemed to cool off in the time since)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I totally get why these shows are lameduck and have been in stasis for the most part for the past year cause Japan has been in stasis that entire time. It's just harder to pay attention when things are returning to normal relatively for wrestling in the States.

I assure you that I should become irrationally manically excited about New Japan again sometime around the L.A. Coliseum show next month.

Edit- JFC...WRESTLE GRAND SLAM at Tokyo Dome is in two and a half weeks . There's no chance that doesn't get postponed again, right? Plus we have three more Summer Struggles (in addition to the two this weekend) before then. Googly moogly.

Last edited:

Slayer

Reaction score
If you're at such a low point in NJPW fandom then you should be getting into DG/AJPW/BJW! raid ditch's archive for the good ol shit. There's tons of great stuff to watch.
Adding DDT to this as well, with theirs and DGs biggest shows coming up over the next month+ (DG Kobe World on 7/31 & 8/1, then DDT Peter Pan on 8/21) making this a prime time to dive in

AJ is in an odd spot right now, as they just had two great young guys winning their two singles titles, except under less than ideal circumstances (Suwama reign ending to COVID and Lee having to win the belt in a three-ish way match; Akira beating Iwamoto only three weeks after the latter beat CIMA, with fan speculation being CIMA not wanting to lose directly to Akira, which if true is another tick on the "Fuck CIMA" list). I am still curious enough though to see where they're going in the near future

BJW is my blind spot for puro so @cobainwasmurdered would have to fill you on their current status

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as BJW I think I posted some recommendations in the MOTYC thread this year and definitely did for last year. The non-deathmatch heavyweight stuff is really worth watching. Yasufumi Nakanoue beat Okabayashi for the belt at the start of the year. They've got a ton of big beefy dudes which is great. The death match stuff is entertaining too in moderation.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ibushi and BUSHI had to miss today's show due to COVID-19 protocols so we got a surprisingly competitive non title match between Shingo Takagi and MASTER WATO....which I really hope isn't a sign for how Shingo's title reign is going to go if he is having trouble putting away comedy juniors!

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
they needed to give the fans something to enjoy. I really wouldn't read anything into it.

Ibushi is just having a bad reaction to his vaccine so he'll be back quick.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
NJPW announced the card for the Tokyo Dome show on July 25.

- New Japan Ranbo for the KOPW Trophy
- Bullet Club (Ishimori/ELP) (c) vs Mega Coaches (Rocky Romero/Taguchi) for the IWGP Junior Tag Titles
- El Desperado (c) vs Robbie Eagles for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title
- Okada vs Jeff Cobb
- LIJ (Naito/SANAD) (c) vs Dangerous Tekkers (TAICHI/ZSJ) for the Heavyweight Tag Titles in a rematch from the other day
- Shingo (c) vs Ibushi for the IWGP World Heavyweight Title

With some names absent, no Tanahashi? No Suzuki? No 6 man title defense? The card isn't all that bad. The Ranbo will be shit most likely, but the rest of the card should produce some very, very good match. Okada vs Cobb should be tremendous. I don't love having a rematch right away for the titles, but it should be a very good match. I think Robbie Eagles win. Both Junior divisions need something fresh, and I can't see BC losing the tag titles right away, as great as having Rocky and Taguchi with the belts sounds. Shingo vs Ibushi would be awesome. I think Cobb beats Okada to set up Cobb vs Shingo next.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cobb-Okada could be a real starmaking match but cynic in me sees Okada going over cleanly in a 12-15 minute slugfest

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
Cobb-Okada could be a real starmaking match but cynic in me sees Okada going over cleanly in a 12-15 minute slugfest
an okada singles match ending in 12 minutes? lol. pretty sure even the young lions got more. I'd be happy if it only went 15. They need more of that.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pumped (and mildly surprised that @Big Beard Booty Daddy didn't mention) that we're getting Rocky Romero-El Phantasmo II closing one of the Korakuen Hall shows. C'mon Rocky!

With some names absent, no Tanahashi? No Suzuki? No 6 man title defense? The card isn't all that bad.
Tanahashi is main eventing the Summer Struggle show the day before against KENTA. I guess they have to save something semi-important for those. I think the 6 Man Tag Team Titles is reserved for B Show tour ending shows. Which I get but it'd be awesome if casual fans got to appreciate how great that trio has become.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kota Ibushi has pneumonia and may not be available for WrestleGrandSlam. If New Japan didn't have bad luck, they'd have no luck at all.

I guess they could make the Ranbo an impromptu #1 contender's match. (shrugs)

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Kota Ibushi has pneumonia and may not be available for WrestleGrandSlam. If New Japan didn't have bad luck, they'd have no luck at all.

I guess they could make the Ranbo an impromptu #1 contender's match. (shrugs)

The best option is stick Tana in the match. He's not doing anything, and the match would be awesome.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tinfoil Hat Kamala wonders if they specifically didn't stick Tana on the show because of Ibushi's lingering health issues last month or so?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hiromu Takahashi has been cleared to return. I thought it seemed awfully fast but original estimate of recovery time was six months and it's been a little under five months.

I love Despy and ElP and a lot of the current juniors but THANK GAWD cause Hiromu is really the only genuine star power they have.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Despy is great in the ring, but he really doesn't have much of a personality to be the face of the division. I was pissed when he put the mask back on. He could have been even better without it. Hiromu is the face of the Juniors, and he was missed. Now get to fixing the Junior Tag division.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Once things are back to normal, I hope they can use some of the underneath AEW tag teams like Private Party and Top Flight.

Not that NJPW has ever cared a whole hell of a lot about tag teams but being short staffed during the pandemic has really made it apparent.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Once things are back to normal, I hope they can use some of the underneath AEW tag teams like Private Party and Top Flight.

Not that NJPW has ever cared a whole hell of a lot about tag teams but being short staffed during the pandemic has really made it apparent.

With the Tag Leagues coming up, it'd be a great time. Private Party and Top Flight in the Junior, and Bear Country in World Tag League, plus others coming in, would be great.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
The article on NJPW's site specifically says Ibushi has not been pulled from Grand Slam. They're obviously hoping that missing these two shows so he can be good to go. And I would bet that Ibushi will have to be on death's door to miss it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tanahashi said at the end of the Summer Struggle show this morning/last that he wants to challenge Shingo tomorrow if Kota Ibushi can't make it. I know Kota Ibushi would have to be near death to not make it to a Dome show but it's got to be pretty damn serious if it's the day before the show and they're publicly saying they're still not sure if he can make it.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
E7EanuFXIAMBE_u

GIVE ME WHAT I WANT!

if njpw gives me kenta vs shibata i will not talk bad about anything they do for at least 6 months.