Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Racism in wrestling (but mostly WWE) thread

Dandy

Reaction score
To be fair, Booker T had the same comments. The story was that they wanted Lee to show more anger in promos and make him a monster in the ring too. I can see both sides, as WWE obviously missed the boat on a sure thing in Lee, but asking him to not have a non-pleased promo style for the character they wanted him to have is not heresy.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Lee could be a monster if he sounded like Don Knotts.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Latest episode of John Arezzi's podcast is wild. It recaps episode the night before the WWF sex & steroid scandals episode of Donahue and Billy Jack Haynes is 1st or 2nd guest. He ends up decrying Vince McMahon's racism for having characters like Sapphire and Kamala and demands that the NAACP and Rainbow/PUSH investigate WWF.

I did NOT imagine 1992 Billy Jack Haynes being a SJW. He did feud with Col. DeBeers though in Herb Abrams' UWF so maybe it's not too much of a surprise.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I can kind of see it, especially when it comes to the underrated heel run Maven had that felt very early heel Rock. But Maven did have moments where he would do little things like trying to pull facial expressions like the Rock. Nothing at all to get bitched at for, especially by the only guy in the business Rock hates.