Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random Thoughts & Topics v2

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Didn't think this was worth a new thread, but anyone play any MMO games? If so, what do you play? I'm not asking what your name is, but just wondering what you play if anything. I was playing mostly free to play games like Star Trek Online, Detective Comics Universe Online, Guild Wars 2 and what I tried Sunday (when I finally got some free time), Neverwinter.

All of them aren't bad games. Sure, they aren't going to blow you away, but they are at least are fun. Unless you hit that certain wall and then it becomes a chore.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I only play MMO's that I can play without needing to interact with other people. I played Star Trek online for about a year. Had fun with it, but pretty much maxed out and lost interest. It was the best for being a loner though since it's all about instancing and scaling to party size. I tried Old Republic but it didn't hold my interest long. I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIV, I'm hoping they hurry up and relaunch soon.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Humbe Double Fine Bundle going on now.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Pretty sure Psychonauts has been available a few times now. Otherwise, you get Costume Quest, Stacking; Brutal Legend if you beat the average (around $8 currently); Broken Age Kickstarter package for $35+; T-shirt shipped for $70+.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Also get soundtracks as well. Sweet! I may actually need to get that. ...if I wasn't piss poor broke. :(

Sabre said:
The Old Republic is F2P now, but ive been playing the hell out of arcane legends on my tablet.
With Old Repulic though, isn't a lot of stuff that you'd normally get in other MMOs hidden behind the pay wall?

Crazy Smues in Space said:
I only play MMO's that I can play without needing to interact with other people. I played Star Trek online for about a year. Had fun with it, but pretty much maxed out and lost interest. It was the best for being a loner though since it's all about instancing and scaling to party size. I tried Old Republic but it didn't hold my interest long. I enjoyed Final Fantasy XIV, I'm hoping they hurry up and relaunch soon.
Yeah, that's what I like about STO. It scales to however many people unless its an STF (raid). So if I don't have someone to help me, you can. I'm interested in FFXIV's relaunch because the relaunch actually looks like the game that I was originally promised in the original beta. Which would be nice.

BTW, Smues, if you liked the STO content for scaling purposes, and want something to hold you off fantasy wise, the same can be said for Neverwinter. It does the same thing (since its also made by Cryptic, makes sense).

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Re: SWTOR - it's mostly raids and whatnot that are capped by the pay level. Everything else is free. The entire "single player" story mode is free, for each class, too. ;)

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Flik said:
Also get soundtracks as well. Sweet! I may actually need to get that. ...if I wasn't piss poor broke. :(

I've read there's no licenced tracks in the soundtrack packages. Here's what's in the Brutal Legend ZIP file. (FLAC is also available.)

MGjZBLJ.png

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.uffsite.net/ ?

Similar ones here: https://www.google.ca/search?q=final+fantasy+fansite&aq=f&oq=final+&aqs=chrome.2.57j59l3&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-US

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Pretty much google is the only way to do it, since FF is kinda sagging in popularity.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
So 8 days ago, we get to Houston and park the car not too far from Minute Paid Park - in fact, this is some of the best price to distance parking we've ever had on one of our trips. Walking to the ballpark, I look through a window and make out some neon Pac-Man themed lighting on a wall, kind of like this but I'm dealing with sun glare on a window and don't see much inside.

STERNWALL.JPG

So, I just see the Pac-Men lights and not that row of pinball machines. The building looks kind of big, but also appears to be old and attached to a bar so I think nothing of it, figuring many business may be inside...

Nope! It's 100% dedicated to old arcade games and pinball machines (with the bar I saw being part of it) and has a whole bunch of them.

http://www.joystixgames.com/showroom.asp

Our annual trips are so tightly planned there was really not much time for this, but knowing what I know now, I totally regret not slipping in to play some pinball or Super Pac-Man.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I haven't seen a real arcade in years since Game Works closed in Auburn Hills. Now you just get these shitty ones with a couple of arcade games and a bunch of Chuck E. Cheese ticket games.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I miss arcades. I remember having a ton of fun at them with buddies as we tried to see who could get the farthest on 1 quarter. Though, now it'd probably be 2 bucks.

Mazto

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My hometown had a Nickelcade with like a three dollar entrance fee and the games where a nickel or maybe two (DDR I think was the only one that cost a dime) they gouged you with food prices, but it was an awesome way to kill a couple of hours.

BATTLE TOADS

SKATE OR DIE

NFL BLITZ

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
This might as well go in bitch about something tech edition, but Ace Attorney 5 is apparently only getting a digital release in the US. No cartridge. FUCK. I'll still buy it, but this does not make me a happy Smues.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
:( Probably should. No physical release? Really? That's one way to kill the market. I know a lot of people still don't like to do the digital buying, or who won't buy to stick to them because they didn't release a physical copy. So you are going to kill a chuck of sales that way.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Especially considering Nintendo's online services are not optimal. I'm hesitant to buy digital in the first place; if the stuff is $20-30 and pretty much tied to the hardware, there's no way I'm buying.

That said, if that's the only way the game gets a release outside of Japan... it's better than nothing. (No idea if that's the case or not.)

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't decide which is worse. Listening to "faith based organizations" on the subject of violence in media, or the tried and true idea of "LET'S TAX IT DUR HUR" solution.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/14/vp-joe-biden-no-legal-reason-the-us-cant-tax-violent-media/

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Free Steam code for Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3. The site might be overloaded, or not quite working properly. Give it a few seconds after entering the CAPTCHA. If it doesn't work the first time, give it another shot.

http://penny-arcade.com/static/rainslick-giveaway

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
Also after you enter the CAPTCHA, look above it for the code. I thought I would go to a separate page for the code.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Took me a couple tries to get a valid key code, but I finally got it to work. Thanks for the tip!

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/funny-occasionally-dirty-hidden-messages-favorite-games-192013980.html

Which is an article that led me to this site:

http://tcrf.net/The_Cutting_Room_Floor

Which might be fun to explore.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I check out the Cutting Room Floor every now and then to see what new stuff they've added. The majority of stuff (at least for the games I care about) is fairly uninteresting.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Humble Indie Bundle 8 is available now.

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Awesomenauts (with exclusive "chicken skin" DLC)
Capsized
Dear Esther
Little Inferno
Thomas Was Alone

And if you beat the average (currently $5.67):
Hotline Miami
Proteus

Pay what you like, to whom you like, including the EFF and Child's Play Charity.

Includes DRM-free downloads of each game for Windows, Mac, and Linux; Steam key(s) if you pay $1 or more; as well as soundtracks for everything except Hotline Miami (though from my experience, the entire soundtrack is available as .OGG files in the Steam install folder).

The post is just a few up, but also still available for another 2 days-ish is the Alan Wake Humble Weekly Sale. Which is straight-up pay-what-you-want for both complete Alan Wake titles, and a whole whack of extra content—some of it new for this bundle.
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Finished watching a Let's Play of Heavy Rain. Nice to see that David Cage still can't figure out how to wrap up a story well so he just throws shit at the wall that doesn't make sense.