Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Something's wrong with Ric Flair

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Jay Lethal was supposed to be a guest on Flair's podcast but had a falling out with Ric prior to the show due to Jay not being booked on the card for Flair's retirement match. Ric said it was out of his control but he's still furious over it. I do think the guy who helped Ric get back into ring shape (somewhat) deserves a spot on the card but I guess that's a conversation for someone else.

Staff member
Reaction score
Jay Lethal was supposed to be a guest on Flair's podcast but had a falling out with Ric prior to the show due to Jay not being booked on the card for Flair's retirement match. Ric said it was out of his control but he's still furious over it. I do think the guy who helped Ric get back into ring shape (somewhat) deserves a spot on the card but I guess that's a conversation for someone else.

worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrk

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Serious question: is anyone here going to check out Ric's last match? Even hate-watch?

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Serious question: is anyone here going to check out Ric's last match? Even hate-watch?

It would literally depend on the rest of the card. I ordered Multiverse of Matches Wrestlemania weekend because I wanted to see enough of the guys on the show, although not necessarily any particular match. My guess is there won't be nearly enough talent on the card to warrant a purchase in my opinion.

I feel like I'll get enough clips of it on Twitter and other SM right away that I don't feel the need to pay for it on the fear of missing out.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
It's cool how this feels like the first match he's had since 2008 and everyone totally ignores his actual in-ring TNA run.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll probably torrent it after I find out he didn't die in the ring.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Still gotta mention my favorite TNA thing of at least the Monday Night Scrimmage era was being the one company to make zero money on a televised match with Flair, Hogan, Styles, Abyss, and a Sting appearance.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not only do I think people here are going to watch it, I think at least one CXF member will be in attendance!

I think Conrad's not going to draw out a conservative playbook for his first foray into booking (I mean he led off with his 73 year old father in law wrestling for the first time in a decade). I'm sure there will be at least one or two more matches that inspire a "Holy crap! THAT'S gonna happen!?" from us. I bet Ric's little buddy Tony Khan is going to loan out some talent too for the show. They're looking to sell out a 9000 seat arena now so they're going to need more than the trainwreck appeal of 73 year old Flair wrestling.

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m gonna watch it for sure now. Josh Alexander is facing Jacob Fatu, I wouldn’t miss that.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
i don't give a shit about ric flair's health or him dying in the ring personally but everyone involved in putting this on or working with him are incredibly irresponsible and cynical. Even if somehow nothing goes wrong, they are running an incredible risk.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Just announced for the undercard...MLW presents a grudge match between Killer Kross and Davey Boy Smith Jr

I can feel the excitement for this one...
giphy.gif

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Impact Wrestling is having a "Ric Flair Moment of the Week" segment every week leading up to the show. It'll be great to relive all of the great Ric Flair moments in Impact like the "WOO!" off with Jay Lethal and----um uh...the match with Mick Foley that Vale likes and uh---the time that he got Iced back when that was a thing? Good thing they only have a few weeks to fill.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's some chatter on Twitter that Conrad is going to announce someone underwhelming and pocket the extra cash LOL.

All kidding aside, it is pretty weird that they haven't announced an opponent two and a half weeks out. I'm guessing Jericho is the 3rd or 4th fallback. He's a better choice than Caleb Konley or Ken Anderson but Idk if he is anyone's first choice for Flair's farewell opponent.

And at this point, they've waited so long that I don't think they can announce it's just a six man tag match without people getting pissed.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
FWIW, I'd be all in for a Jericho vs Flair match although it certainly isn't who I'd think would be his final opponent. It has some notoriety to it at least, and looks better on paper than a random six man w/ FTR and RnR, etc. That seems completely off the books since RnR are facing Brock Anderson and Pillman apparently. While I'm not convinced Jericho could carry Flair fully in a singles match, I've heard of worse ideas. I will say....theoretically, having Flair in there in a singles match (and against a pretty big name in the business) is more appropriate for a final match, but the whole health variables worry me in that aspect.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Silver lining of opponent being Jericho is there will probably be a lot more brawling and less bumping. Thinking about it, the more it makes sense. If he goes against a young guy, he'll probably want to compete with them. If he goes against one of his peers, he'll want to overcompensate. Jericho is a happy medium.