Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Something's wrong with Ric Flair

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
btw i think you guys are underrating flair's ability to do this, he's going to go above expectations. say what you want about him as a person, but when it comes to getting in that ring nobody is better at working a match regardless of what they've been given to work with. the various combinations of gimmicks and stips and different wrestlers that he's managed to pull great matches out of is off the charts.

what i mean is that if he was smart enough to work around someone else's limitations, i'm very certain that he'll be able to stay within his own, even at this advanced age. The guy broke his neck in a plane crash, but as far as I know has never had a serious in-ring injury in his life. he's lived that wrestler travel life for forty years not just at home but all over the world, in all sorts of gimmick matches at an insane clip per year. The fact that he has never really been hurt in the ring is an accomplishment I'm not sure any other wrestler can match.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Clearly just a con to get a sponsor deal with Skechers’s no lace rasslin boots.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm mostly rooting for this to be an embarrassment cause if it's successful, we're definitely getting a last Hogan match.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Flair and Andrade vs Lethal and Daddy Jeff with Karen Jarrett

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

LOL. They taped an angle. Even though Flair is training for this match, the first thing that happens is he takes a gut shot and screams "OH GAWD, right in my surgery wound!" as he falls over from one blow. Like kayfabe wise how the hell is he supposed to wrestle?
They can't really have it both ways. Either he's feeble or he's a vibrant old man who has one more in him.

Last edited:

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
FWIW, I am certainly not jazzed about this tag match, BUT the undercard is all kinds of awesome and bordering on cool vibe with all of the different promotions working together. Plus even though Jarrett isnt a regular worker anymore, seeing a WWE guy work with two AEW guys in a match is pretty different.

And this is better than what we figured was a singles match with Flair. I do like having Andrade in there to take the brunt of the work, presumably against Lethal more than anyone. There should be decent runs in the match in that aspect, but who knows how it will look when Flair is in there. Seeing Jarrett working with Andrade sounds like a major styles clash, but we will see.

Jarrett sure got some major notoriety though for the weekend in Nashville, not only ref at SummerSlam but shoehorned into this too now. I still think he had to be the major force and conduit for Starrcast and WWE to partner up somewhat on all of this, and because of that, he got these spots on both Nashville shows.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
lmao wtf, a lot of women wanted to sleep with this guy and he purposely picked spouses of people he worked with? what a scumbag.
Unless they got divorced since, I'm pretty sure he actually snagged Tully's wife away while they were feuding and raised Tessa IIRC.
I'm sure Tully was snorting coke off a different woman's kooch in every town on the east coast, so it's fair.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It’s the boring option, but it’s also the safe option.
Ric Flair has plantar fasciiitis so that might have effected his decision.

His hearing must be going on him. Ric, people were saying they wanted you to end your career as a heel not with a heel injury.

(thank you! Thank you! Try the swordfish!)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Part of me was like "how the hell would they know where Ric's surgery wound is?" then I remembered that even into his seventies and after nearly being "canceled", Ric probably still likes walking around naked in front of his co-workers. Maybe especially? Old white guys generally love walking naked around locker rooms.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
73 year-old Flair bleeding a gusher for a YT angle is the least surprising thing ever. I think Flair got to a point where he knew his forehead was already beyond saving (probably around his return in WWE), so he took every opportunity to blade from that point on

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'd say it was even before. During the peak of Monday Night Wars, I don't recall him blading that much but during the company decline from '99-'01, it feels like he bled buckets at any given opportunity.

Like besides the last Dusty feud and his retirement angle in '08 WWE, I feel like every Flair feud after '98 just involved him bleeding way too much to try and get things over.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Part of me was like "how the hell would they know where Ric's surgery wound is?" then I remembered that even into his seventies and after nearly being "canceled", Ric probably still likes walking around naked in front of his co-workers. Maybe especially? Old white guys generally love walking naked around locker rooms.
Pics of his scars were in both Part 1 and 2 of the Doc I posted. *Sad*
--
Anyone who actually watched the videos can help me here:
I'm trying to figure out if they are going for shades of grey or this is just bad booking? Flair is shown training (with his old person emergency watch going off every time he bumps LOL) w/ Jay Lethal. Then they do the set up for the angle by having Lethal ask Flair to be on the PPV. Flair scoffs and tells him this is a big time deal and Lethal isn't cut out for it.
Then they show Flair on his podcast burying Jarrett by saying he was never a real Horsemen. Then at the presser he gives Double J 2 tickets so he and Jerry can sit in the front row,
FFWD to the angle and Lethal attacks Flair, JJ saves Flair, and as he's trying to help Flair up, Flair keeps saying "Fuck off Jeff!" What the heck am I missing? Is Flair supposed to be mad that Jarrett thinks he needed saving?? So JJ says well Fuck you and attacks Ric. Rewatching it 2 or 3 times made me over analyze a bit.

--
Since this is in Nashville, I hope they go full Wrestle War 89 and have 40 women line the aisle as Flair hobbles to the ring. You know he's going to start balling, then Charlotte in the front row is going to start bawling and the whole entrance is going to be wacky. I'm kind of curious how the shirt under a robe is going to look for walkin' that aisle too.
Hopefully I can steal a stream that evening. I'm sure Twitter will be full of notable videos if nothing else.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
Yeah, the storyline was a bit fuzzy, I agree. I guess Flair was ribbing Jarrett in character about not being on the cards anymore, hence the tickets? And then I could barely hear or understand where Flair was yacking at JJ, that was the part that confused me too. I am assuming Flair told him to let him be due to some background storyline "heat" that JJ and Flair had from the WCW days with the Horsemen? That's my best guess.

I'm listening to the JJ latest podcast now with Conrad, and the storyline is even MORE confusing so far. There's a lot of worked shoot stuff from back in TNA, WCW, NWA days in all of this.