Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Broadcasting/Anchors/Media Thread

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking of health issues and sudden retirements, Jack Edwards announced he'll be leaving the booth after the first playoff series that he announces this year on NESN. IIRC he joined the Bruins around 2005 or 2006 and had been a long time part of other areas including ESPN before that. He's always been very divisive as an announcer but I liked his homerism and the fact he didn't try to hide it and be neutral to both teams.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
The suddenness of Sterling’s retirement makes me think he has an imminent health issue.
I don't have the link right now, but he said he enjoyed doing what he wanted during the offseason to the point he was dreading the season started and should have just announced his retirement March 1

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Phil Simms and Boomer Esiason are out at CBS and Matt Ryan will take the desk at CBS.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jason Kelce has joined ESPN to work MNF pregame show.

Slightly surprised as I really expected Amazon to be in the pole position for his services.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Boomer Esiason is hardcore MAGA. Believe Simms is as well. So replacing two white QB conservatives with.. a white QB who played in the South

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Soft people upset about soft people saying soft shit

This is like the tamest shit that dunderhead says so naturally this gets traction because it’s soft and safe shit to get in airs about

It allows the right and the left to dip their toes and play the lines they need to sell to their audience. It’s the perfect storm of soft white noise that’s perfect for the doldrum summer news cycle.

It’s why across the street we can pretend that SAS got his ass served today by being called out for not talking about WNBA before this specific white girl showed up. It’s good popcorn for the YouTube and twitter crowd to be amused about while they take a shit.

I’m eating the popcorn they are serving up because the soft shit is nice and easy to digest .

Last edited:

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sports media is just a pile of McAfees saying nothing but easy digestible sound bites and LeBetards saying “WELL ACTUALLY” and never saying anything poignant or original to the discourse other than soft sound bites that his audience also can easily digest as well.

At least McAfee supporters know their guy is a clown with no substance, the LeBetard crowd will just tell you “that’s the whole idea, man” and they don’t get that they don’t get it.

Edit: it’s supposed to be soft and digestible, it’s sports. Just stop acting like it means something bigger than it does.

Last edited:

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That part sure but the outrage and lazy commentary around the Caitlyn Clark of it all is already tired and played.

Yeah don’t call a woman a bitch, that’s 101 knowledge in 2024 but that wasn’t the alarming part because like I said, he’s a dunderhead who will say things, because that’s what sports media is.

Reaction score
He was out of line. ESPN needs to relax.

Also he’s 37?! I thought he was like 50.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He was out of line. ESPN needs to relax.

Also he’s 37?! I thought he was like 50.
Benefit of retiring early. Also hangs out with old ass Michael Cole a lot outside of his workplace, would explain his approach here.

ESPN has invested a lot into him and Pat has no problem if they react because like other people that ESPN has dug their heels into keeping as their brand, namely SAS, they can make their hay elsewhere.

ESPN tried to go the intellectualism route with Jemele, LeBetard and company but that audience didn’t tune in and they are happy elsewhere.

ESPN has a precedent of dismissing “troublesome” or “problematic” talent who use dismissive rhetoric towards females or minorities. Case in point, Colin Cowherd who’s more focused now it seems on being Anti Trump, which signals to me he’s okay to leave Fox now.

The two flagship non live event anchors for the company both made waves today in similar but dumb manners today, they did what they were brought in for.

Edit: McAfee apologized and then doubled down on his sentiment, so there you go. It’s a soft ass company with a soft ass talent roster.

Last edited:

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Pat McAfee is up there with Trump, or at least like Eminem or Dave Portnoy, in terms of being too big to fail/be canceled. Him calling Caitlin Clark a white bitch will probably just make his base like him more. “He just says what we’re all thinkin’!”

Barring maybe some Roseanne and Curt Schilling like hateful outbursts, I think ESPN has invested too much in him to punish him.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

"The jury awarded $4.7 billion in damages to the residential class and $96 million in damages to the commercial class. Since damages can be tripled under federal antitrust laws, the NFL could end up being liable for $14.39 billion.

The lawsuit covered 2.4 million residential subscribers and 48,000 businesses in the United States who paid for the package of out-of-market games from the 2011 through 2022 seasons on DirecTV. The lawsuit claimed the league broke antitrust laws by selling its package of Sunday games at an inflated price. The subscribers also say the league restricted competition by offering "Sunday Ticket" only on a satellite provider.

During his closing remarks, Carmody showed an April 2017 NFL memo that showed the league was exploring a world without "Sunday Ticket" in 2017, where cable channels would air Sunday afternoon out-of-market games not shown on Fox or CBS."