Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Sports Cards Hobby Thread 2.0

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I have a show to work mid-June and I've hired my sister's step daughter (the non-ASL one) and some cousin by marriage or whatever extension that hangs around the family a lot. I promised them each $100.

I'm going to wind up in the negative at the rate the hobby is going.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Had to order a new binder from DACW so I also picked up the following. I'm a bigger fan of Chronicles than most for Rookie chasing because you typically get the bigger names + more variety in card types. I threw in Playbook, Prestige, and Prizm just to vary it up a little (although I think Prizm is up there with Contenders as one of the worst ROI values in ripping product)

1 2021 Panini Chronicles Football 15-Card Jumbo Value Pack (Pinnacle Inserts!) - $8
1 2021 Panini Playbook Football Hanger Box (Sparkle Parallel!) - $10
1 2021 Panini Chronicles Football 30-Card Hanger Pack (Green Parallels!) - $10
1 2021 Panini Prestige Football Hanger Box (Astral Parallels) - $15
1 2021 Panini Prestige Football 8-Pack Blaster Box (Diamond Parallels) - $25
1 2021 Panini Chronicles Football 6-Pack Blaster Box (Prestige Rookies!) - $25
1 2021 Panini Prizm Football Hanger Box (Light Blue Prizms!) - $30
1 2021 Panini Chronicles Football 6-Pack Blaster Box (Revolution Inserts!) (Fanatics) - $40
Total = $163

For context at the insanity of 2019 (11/26/19) vs. 2023 (7/4/23)
2019 Panini XR Hobby Box was $110.95 vs. "sale" price of $314.95 (Suggested Price of $500). Inflation = $131.98
2019 Phoenix Hobby Box was $110.95 vs. "sale" price of $399.95 (Suggested Price of $500). Inflation = $131.98
2018 Unparalleled Hobby Box was $189.95 vs. "sale" price of $499.95 (Suggested Price of $550). Inflation = $225.96

Last edited:

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Back in January one of my collector pals (he's video games) told me about an event in a nearby community "in July." He told me the table fee was like $35 and sent me the details. I booked my spot and in the time since I've made connections with another area hobbyist that does art for the various conventions in our region. It was called the "Back to School Bash" for that community. By Saturday morning, the day of, both of the people I knew had backed out.

Now, I knew going in that there was school supply giveaways going on and that it was an outreach type event. And the organizer knew I was going in as a trading card vendor. Holy moley, the most humbling day of my life. While the community that hosted the event is known in the state for a high amount of affluent people, the event was for people that were not of affluent backgrounds. I clicked really well with the organizer and all of the volunteers. The emcee and I exchanged contact information because he's into this hobby, too.

My booth was next door to the "Free School Uniforms" booth. I'm looking in my display case at $100+ football, baseball, and Pokemon cards feeling like the world's biggest asshole. I did some rearranging and made my $0.25 box (buy 4 get #5 free) and my $10 graded box front and center.

The event included scholarships to many area teenagers, dorm room supplies & appliances to college students from the area, voter registration for the adults, job skills training, job interviews, an army recruiter (a little predatory in my opinion but I was selling baseball cards so I'll ease up on throwing stones), and overall really cool to see something like this exist and makes me wonder why my home town isn't doing it.

There were many, MANY, awkward interactions with children keying in on the higher end stuff and obviously, everything is negotiable, but it was a realization in my brain that I should have not brought the heavy hitters and that they're just upsetting kids or reminding their adults of the financial insecurity in their lives while this bald asshole is displaying fancy stuff. One child hung out for over half an hour mulling over a $100+ item asking me what I'd take for it and added, "my family doesn't have a lot of money" and I was so close to texting my friend that is cosigning the pokemon through me and saying, "I'm taking this one on the chin dude, this kid is breaking my heart." Eventually his adult (possibly grandfather? he mentioned being 65) came and we were able to get him a graded card and a few singles for $10 all in and that made him happy.

Pretty soon the line to the free school bags (filled with supplies) had wrapped around the civic center to place the line in front of my table. Before I knew it there was an unending stream of children at the $0.25 box (a 3200 count 3 row box) going through finding stuff that had players/characters they knew, liked the art, and a few times I heard, "DADDY LIKES HIM!" A handful of times I told the Moms $1 for kids with more than 5 cards. The light up was priceless. I saw 8-10 year old me at the 1980s/1990s flea markets with $5 but nothing in my budget that I liked. A few other older kids were able to successfully raid the $10 slabs for deals. Someone put a Burrow/Jefferson dual rookie graded card in the $10 box and thankfully the kid that found it was letting me know, "hey I think you messed up." One man was looking over some 90s basketball in the graded display but his wife/girlfriend kept gesturing toward my music cards (Ice Cube, Easy - E, and Lady Gaga). Another mom took one of my laminates with my QR codes (my pay apps and instagram) to go home with to look over my online inventory.

By the end of the day, the organizer wants me back next year, the emcee wants to link up and have me at some of his events, and I was sufficiently placed in a headspace of absolute gratitude for my place in life and also that I had the chance to see so many happy faces after a bumpy start to the day. In the hours after the event I came to realize that I was a popular target for photographers. None of the photos I came upon were disparaging but yeah, lots of me as the feature subject or photobombing someone.

Just made me appreciate the perspective. We all have problems, but sometimes you (me) should acknowledge the privilege you do have. I don't pray, perse, but I pray that the smiles I saw lasted long after they walked away from my booth.

Photo bomb:

Rj5Z2BZ.jpg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty soon the line to the free school bags (filled with supplies) had wrapped around the civic center to place the line in front of my table. Before I knew it there was an unending stream of children at the $0.25 box (a 3200 count 3 row box) going through finding stuff that had players/characters they knew, liked the art, and a few times I heard, "DADDY LIKES HIM!" A handful of times I told the Moms $1 for kids with more than 5 cards. The light up was priceless. I saw 8-10 year old me at the 1980s/1990s flea markets with $5 but nothing in my budget that I liked.
This made me smile :) As somebody who grew up in an affluent family and could afford a lot (I remember multiple birthdays where gift bags including entire card packs as an example for 6-10 individual kids), situations like the above are really cool. As somebody who still prefers collecting the "name"/"character" on the card over the card itself (looking at you 90s PMGs or 20s Silver Prizms), I love that those kids have largely the same mentality.

Lesson learned on what to take too. Best save the big bangers for real sports card shows probably but that $0.25 Box is a genius move. Did you end up selling most everything you came in with on the cheaper side?

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I came home with $80 even, I went with $17 ones for change purposes. A lot of that was from kids buying 5 cards out the quarter box. Still have plenty for the next show, though.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Big news as the NFLPA has given its rights to Fanatics effective immediately basically killing Panini as far as its NFL exclusivity goes. Originally the end was supposed to be 2026 so clearly Fanatics is moving in incredibly fast.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm very interested in seeing the deets as to why the sudden change. Aside from grabbing current year draft picks each year, I generally don't chase new product anymore. My PCs are starting to retire so I'm generally chasing already printed stuff. This also applies to free agent pickups. We sign a Drew Brees (2006) or Derek Carr (2023) I'll scoop a few things up. BUT in order to have conversations at conventions, I need to know whats up.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
They're all baseball, but I was already guessing I'm not going to see many/any of the ~20 outstanding redemptions I'm waiting on, and this probably doesn't help.

Exclusivity deals are AIDS.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Look I will admit up front I am in favor of the "don't discuss money, politics, or religion..." but I worked a show today that a friend puts on for general collectibles. I pretty much sign up out of obligation because he's such a genuinely good person. The last one he hosted I literally made $10 off of a $25 table fee and I was the only trading card vendor. I used it as experience fodder and networking.

Well... today was his third show. I missed the last one because of unavoidable work conflict. I was even more pep talking myself to not be a pessimist, supporting a great dude, going to get to talk hobby with people and just deal with the $75 table fee as an investment for luring people to the sports card show at the end of the month.

Initially, the $0.25 box was grabbing attention from the kids so I was in a good head space. I'm always in a good mood when the quarter box gets attention because I'm projecting my own broke childhood and not being able to buy things at shows and seeing kids have the opportunity. A few sales on some graded singles in my clearance box ($10 slabs) had me hopeful I'd at least make the table fee back.

And then the tsunami happened. A gentleman in a wheelchair keyed in on the graded TCG box. He pulled out the key card from Digimon, a lower graded "Miracle 4" Japanese card that we priced at $200 based on grade and prior sales. He immediately threw 2 Benjamins at me and didn't even attempt a negotiation. I started to say, "I can...." and he cut me off, "it says $200 here's $200" and I quickly did the math in my head, he's not about to take a discount just because of his physical situation (I shave dollars off every deal to build rapport) . I "yes sir" responded and then he pulled out another $200 worth of graded gaming cards and he then asked "what can you do on this assortment." I absolutely loved this interaction. He set the tone firmly, put the first sale to my favor, and then approached a negotiation. Dude should give classes.

The rest of the day blurred. By the time it was over, the loading dock looked like a Jimmy Carter era gas line so I had to take the dolly through the entire civic center, lobby, parking lot, etc... 6 times. I was at least able to get my car moved closer to the front door than I initially was. It took me an hour to load (20 minutes to unload when using the loading dock).

When I got home, I removed the $100 change I had in the till to start the day, counted up the cash, venmo, paypal, and cash app. Indulge my rudeness:

$963.00

I went from a $10 show to that. So much for pessimism. And at least one customer will be at my next show as she put it, "I'm a teacher and I don't get paid until the 30th." That's the next show date and she got excited. I was able to connect her son with some quarter cards and she kept mouthing ''thank you'' over and over. And I think when this box runs empty I'm just going to go buy things and sell it at a loss 25 cents at a time. I'm still working out the math on what number goes to my cosigning partner on the gaming cards but appears he's easily getting $340.

I'm feeling very energized, despite the muscles hurting all over.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was able to purchase a 1969 Topps Mickey Mantle at a show I worked yesterday. I had intended on making a Mantle purchase as the shows at the University always do well. That's also the show when my local shop owner brings in his heavy hitter inventory. I never got that far. A really older gentleman, like as in end of life care old, had the Mantle and a few other key rookies in rough shape (89 UD Griffey with wrecked corners). He asked if I was interested in any of the cards and I said I had intended to buy a 1960s Mantle at some point and the fact that he came to my table with one seemed as good of a sign as any. He said a few people had made him some offers on it and what I thought a fair price would be. The left edge is almost nonexistent, but otherwise, it looks like a 54 year old baseball card. I expressed that it was going to be a part of my personal display and not for resale, I don't want to insult you, but with the left to right centering being as off as it is, I would only be comfortable spending $100. I figured he'd blow me off and I prepared for the worst and he said, "well, that sounds fair, I'll accept your $100 offer." About made my day with that purchase. I kept telling everyone that came up to my spot, "I bought a Mantle, AGAIN."

Another octogenarian demanded to see it. He randomly produces a protractor he must have been palming and uses the ruler side to measure the card then gives me the card back, "you're safe." Apparently he accidentally bought a trimmed card during the Truman administration.

Wonderful day.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I think I’ve talked myself back into collecting traditional sports cards. Been messing around with UFC for the last couple years, but I’m completely bored with it.

Probably wouldn’t do much with current stuff. Just collect older favorites, and legends. Mainly stuff I wouldn’t mind having displayed, and looking at from time to time.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Picked up some more cards thanks to Beckett Marketplace's 20% off SCARED20 sale. Trying to target the NFL history big names (esp. guys like Jerry Rice and Randy Moss who will likely forever be GOATs at the WR position). Also made my biggest single card purchase yet, which I think is kind of a steal considering what some non-Auto cards are going for in other sports.

1998 Rookies & Stars TD Club /5000 - Jerry Rice ($1.98)
2001 E-X Behind the Numbers MEM /712 - Marvin Harrison ($5.94)
2004 SP Game Used Gold /100 - Marvin Harrison ($5.94)
2008 Playoff Prestige Xtra Points Red /100 - Randy Moss ($4.95)
2010 Absolute Memorabilia Canton Absolutes Spectrum /50 - Bruce Smith ($4.44)
2010 Topps Triple Threads Emerald /299 - Randy Moss ($2.64)
2000-01 Upper Deck Legends Legendary Collection Gold /375 - Paul Coffey ($4.44)

And my biggest card purchase! 2018-19 The Cup Enshrinements Auto /99 - Brayden Point for $49.50 For anybody who doesn't know, The Cup is the equivalent of NFL's National Treasures/Flawless in terms of being the upper elite set/brand. It's an on-card auto and Tampa Bay is the equivalent of the KC Chiefs at the moment (Point's won 2 Stanley Cups already and has a shot to clear the 300-goal career mark over the next few seasons). Stamkos/Kucherov/Hedman are the bigger names but Point's likely to be the top guy when those players retire.

• Love
Reactions: SFH

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Guy from childhood was able to play college football with 3 or 4 future NFL players. He's now into collecting and looking to get in on some of my bulk grading submissions. I'm wondering if he'd trade the cost of his submissions for autographs from his friends :p

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Stumbled on the 2000 Topps Limited Edition Factory Set cards and scooped up 36 for $135. All basically HOFers /4000 with a few Magic Moments out of 800 (not Serial Numbered though). "Stated print run was originally 6000 serial numbered sets but actual production turned out to be 4000 sets (with only 800 copies of each of the Magic Moments variation subset cards). Each factory box is serial numbered x/4000 but the individual cards are not numbered in any way. The sets were distributed in late September, 2000." The /800 were Barry Bonds 40 HR/40 SB; Hank Aaron 1st HR & 3000th Hit & 715th HR (These were the priciest around $8 for the BB and $7.50 for the HA).

The full box set seemed to be going for $130-$170 depending but I didn't want a clutter of commons I wouldn't care about.

• Love
Reactions: SFH

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Ripped a ton of clearance product from DACW after wanting just a binder & sleeves (about $300 worth in total). Mostly Soccer stuff, which I have virtually 0 idea about beyond watching some TV and knowing a handful of names. My biggest hits...

ROOKIE AUTOGRAPH: BRYAN BELLO (RED SOX PITCHER!) from a 2023 Topps Heritage Blaster Box that was under $15
Halloween Parallel RC: Adley Rutschmann from a 2023 Topps Update Series Blaster Box for under $15 (Being such a fan of Halloween, these are the fucking coolest)
All Aces Insert (1:25 Hobby Packs): Nolan Ryan from the same 2023 Topps Update Series Blaster Box
Green Refractor: Kevin Schade 52/99 from a 2022/23 Topps Chrome Bundesliga Soccer Hobby Box which cost less than $28
Dual Jersey Material Player Worn: Wade Allison 183/399 from a 2021/22 Upper Deck Artifacts Hockey Hobby Box
Autograph: Prism 14/175 Manuel Riemann from 2021/22 Topps Chrome Bundesliga Soccer Hobby Box for $33

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
IMG_20240918_104012347.jpg I finally got one of these! SGC Authentic with some corner damage, a little paper loss/maybe liquid on a back corner, and a little surface scratching. But it's centered and most important, to me, fantastic eye appeal.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Made another purchase for a little over $70. Serial numbered stuff as always but finally added Najee Harris, James Conner, and Josh Jacobs into my collection. Got a couple more CMac, a couple Saquon Barkley, and 3 more Alvin Kamara cards. I try to vary and add at least 1 card of players so in the future I'm hoping to eventually get a Brock Purdy and Patrick Mahomes somehow.

Targeted Bowman/Topps products for baseball too: Marcell Ozuna (2018 Topps Triple Threads /259); Bryce Harper (2016 Bowman Blue /150); 3 Francisco Lindor (2018 Finest Purple Refractor /250, 2019 Bowman Purple /250, 2021 Topps Chrome Black Green Atomic Refractor /99); Pete Alonso (2021 Bowman Chrome Fuchsia Refractor /299); Jose Altuve (2019 Bowman Chrome 30th Anniversary Green Refractor /99)

I'll let prospectors/flippers chase guys like Paul Skenes (as somebody who was IN on Jacob deGrom after he was blowing up) or Brent Rooker or Elly De La Cruz or Gunnar Henderson.