Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Biden Presidency Vol. 3 and 4: Democracy’s Last Stand?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Can Joe comeback one last time and defeat Trump once and for all? Idk. I didn’t even create a thread last year.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Does anyone here actually like him and think he is doing a good job? Forget about voting for him, I get voting against Trump. But I just want to know if people here actually think he’s doing a good job or just wanna vote for him because he’s not Trump. Which again, fair.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Does anyone here actually like him and think he is doing a good job? Forget about voting for him, I get voting against Trump. But I just want to know if people here actually think he’s doing a good job or just wanna vote for him because he’s not Trump. Which again, fair.

He hasn't done a great job but his run hasn't been as bad as people make it out to be. He's unspectacular.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don’t love everything he has done, especially with Israel, but even with ranked choice voting, I am still leaning towards voting for him/ranking him #1.

I am doing better financially than I have been any time since I have been an adult and I think we will start seeing some of the benefits of Build Back Better in a few years.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a foreigner I mostly focus on foreign policy and I would say that if he wasn't so old and American politics weren't so broken I don't think anything he's done would be looked at as particularly noteworthy aside from ending Afghanistan (great but messy) and the Israel shit where he's coming off badly but I think a Clinton or even a Obama wouldn't have handled it any differently (although with far better PR) or even with far more support for Israel. He's handled Ukraine/Russia and China as well as anyone could.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Biden is first President who has had to deal with Israel/Palestine situation where there wasn’t unilateral, bipartisan support for Israel. His hands are really tied, anything he does would piss off half of the population.

For all of my leftist friends who are done voting for Biden because of Israel/Palestine, I want to ask them “What the hell do you think Trump is going to do?” As bad as it is now in Gaza, things will get a whole hell of a lot worse if Trump wins.

Biden 2024: As bad as it is now, things will be a whole hell of a lot worse if Trump wins.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
It's a really shitty situation and I understand voters being disenchanted with the Biden administration (and the democratic party in general) but yeah, what do you think Trump is going to do for you?: "I can actually afford shit!".

Do you just not vote? 3d party?

Biden/Trump II has strong Bush/Kerry vibes.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He's done a really good job with appointing progressive judges & judges w/ public defender backgrounds to the courts. And domestically he'd look a lot better if he didn't have Manchin, Sinema, and a right wing Supreme Court actively kneecapping his domestic agenda.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hi, speaking as someone who is still deeply reluctant to vote for Biden again because I'm disgusted with the idea of supporting someone complicit in war crimes, all I can say is a good chunk of us are blowing off steam and "you should suck it up because Trump will be worse" is not a compelling argument.

Incandenza

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That post isn't directed at anyone in particular here on this board, for what it's worth. Just general venting

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's totally understandable and I think it's the boat everyone is in. The Democratic Party Establishment (and hopefully the GOP) are in for a reckoning one day. They can't keep taking their voters for granted. Their candidate won't always be running against a Trump. Eventually people will leave the party wholesale, not just for one election.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I am confident Joe Biden will leave the White House on January 6, 2029. Cannot say the same thing for Trump. Wish I didn’t have to simplify it that much, but it’s the truth.

Staff member
Reaction score
The only argument I've read in favor of Biden, and the only thing that will decide my vote at all, is that I'm pretty sure if Trump won we wouldn't get to vote for President again. There is no other reason to vote for Biden and he doesn't meet my standards or expectations. The difference between 2020 and 2024 is that Biden hadn't proven how much he sucked, and now I'd feel guilty telling anyone to vote for him so now I'm not going to tell anyone what to do.

Imagine telling anyone to pick between two genocide guys. I could never.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think every US President (and most major nations) are guilty of genocide and war crimes. I have a hard time imagining anyone escaping the way the system is setup. That doesn't make it ok for Biden or any other President to be involved in it obviously.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I wish Shawn Fain was running for President. Maybe in 2028.
This was my logic for voting Hawkins/Walker in 2020, but I had the benefit of living in True Blue Massachusetts.

Now? Even in a growing purple area of Tennessee? I don't have that fucking luxury. The next best thing is Biden, because at least, as others have pointed out, he's the candidate whose values most closely align with my own.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
This was my logic for voting Hawkins/Walker in 2020, but I had the benefit of living in True Blue Massachusetts.

Now? Even in a growing purple area of Tennessee? I don't have that fucking luxury. The next best thing is Biden, because at least, as others have pointed out, he's the candidate whose values most closely align with my own.
Biden got 38% last time in Tennessee. That's 6% higher than Trump got in Massachusetts. Nothing has changed for you.

Staff member
Reaction score
I was talking about this with another referee earlier. Another reason to vote for Biden, even considering all those things I said about how much he sucks, is that the right is straight up trying to bring back Jim Crow shit. It's a coordinated effort to do it through executive power, and then once it's challenged their judges will say that it's ok for Republicans to use that power when it wasn't ok for Biden to do it. They campaign regularly on the idea that black people are unqualified for their work. To them, DEI is the reason that the Alaska airplane's door blew off. To them, they think that you should be concerned if you get on a plane and see a black person flying it. It's fucked man, the second option in this country is fuckin batshit

Again, would never tell anyone to vote for Biden, and the other party wants this place to be 1950 again. For me, the fact those other guys don't want people to vote, I think that's something evil politicians tend to act upon once the idea to do so has gotten into their head. The same thing can be said for being pro-discrimination. If you find yourself looking for a reason to vote for him that's probably the best you can get.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean, the courts are a pretty good reason to vote for him. The Supreme Court is completely off the rails, where standing & precedent mean nothing, and the right wing judges bend over backwards to reach their preferred political result. I could honestly see Thomas retiring in a 2nd Trump presidency. Sotomayor is diabetic. Do we really want to take the chance Trump (or more accurately the Federalist Society) puts 2 more judges on the Supreme Court? The 5th Circuit is basically a MAGA hat wearing judicial robes, do we need more of this? Presidents come & go, judges last a long time and have impacts that can last for a generation. Any sort of progressive agenda is gonna be DOA if the courts are stocked with right wing goofs.

Last edited:

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Biden got 38% last time in Tennessee. That's 6% higher than Trump got in Massachusetts. Nothing has changed for you.
That's my point. I know TN will go GOP no matter what at this point, even though the Nashville area is purpling up. I can't afford to actively vote morally, it has to be strategically.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not to say Grandpa Joe doesn’t ramble but you can definitely find an eight second clip of Trump and maybe even Obama making indecipherable noises.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You literally just have to watch any Trump speech for a few minutes to see something worse than this. There's not even a comparision in how much worse Trump is. The media barely covers it because everyone is exhausted by him and everyone takes for granted he is an idiot.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Biden's age is a fair criticism regarding his re-election but as been said, Trump has his fair share of "senior moments" as well.