Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Meltzer Thread

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I heard he had Covid and got the Torch and Twitter to lie about it.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Well, I mean, some of the hardest of hardcore fans are very child-like.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
So Alvarez is basically saying to use Wight the way Vince said he was going to use Wight when he brought him in 22 years ago. If we hadn't seen Wight be used as just another guy for 22 years, he might be onto something.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
As TSM's Big Show fan #1, the idea of bringing in nearly 50 year old Paul Wight to run roughshod over your current roster is absolutely hilarious.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Is there a "shooter" on the roster? Could always feed Show to him.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think it's been so god damn long since WWE had legitimate competition (plus WRESTLING FANS LIVE IN A BUBBLE AND DON'T LIKE IRL SPORTS) that people are unable to grasp the concept of not liking a guy when he plays for the team (or promotion in this case) you don't like but becoming a fan when he joins your team/promotion.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Only thing I want for Big Show in ROH is a program with Papa Briscoe.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think it's been so god damn long since WWE had legitimate competition (plus WRESTLING FANS LIVE IN A BUBBLE AND DON'T LIKE IRL SPORTS) that people are unable to grasp the concept of not liking a guy when he plays for the team (or promotion in this case) you don't like but becoming a fan when he joins your team/promotion.
If he throws Marko Stunt through an ungimmicked wall at Daley's Place it will all be worth it.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For what it's worth on the latest WOR Dave seemed pretty down on the Big Show signing. Directly comparing it to TNA and saying AEW has too many old guys on the show now

Staff member
Reaction score
For what it's worth on the latest WOR Dave seemed pretty down on the Big Show signing. Directly comparing it to TNA and saying AEW has too many old guys on the show now

I disagree extremely strongly with that assertion. The only old guys they use somewhat regularly in any role are Jake Roberts, Sting, Tazz, Tully Blanchard, and Arn Anderson. Four of those guys are managers and people have been complaining for a long time that there aren't enough managers. All four of those managers are great at what they're there for. One is going to wrestle in the old Jim Cornette role next week. The other guy who will wrestle is one of the all-timers and everyone was pissed off that he couldn't end his career on his terms. They then hired Big Show to commentate and occasionally wrestle. I don't care for Big Show but I don't see the similarities at all. None of these guys are holding or have held any wrestling titles in this company.

Now if this was TNA almost all these guys would have wrestled for a few months by now or would be in a position of power where they would regularly humiliate young talent without ever seeing comeuppance for it. We know this because that's what TNA actually did and because they literally had a faction of these kinds of dudes who buried everyone.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Sting's the one exception here. But I don't see it lasting that long and enough people seemed to have a bad taste left in their mouth for how his WWE run turned out that I don't mind it.

100% agree that the old-timers collecting paychecks to work as managers and on-screen characters is only a positive.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don’t know what point Jake Roberts serves anymore, but he’s really not in any sort of prominent spot, so I’m fine with him hanging around on the periphery. The rest of those guys are all doing a pretty good job of helping to actively elevate younger talents. I don’t see AEW doing anything drastically different with Big Show.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
He's a little lost with Archer turning face the past few weeks. But he's still a great character and promo.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
Is he? Listen I love Jake and he was tremendous and ahead of his time but in the year of our lord 2021, he just feels out of place and dated, at least to me. His cadence feels strange; he feels rambly, in that bad, Bray Wyatt, please stop kind of way. I think he has detracted from what Lance Archer brings or at least could bring to the table since jump street, and I don't know that I need to see him on the TV anymore, full stop.

He just doesn't have the same cool, cerebral factor anymore, and he's only intimidating if you're a single woman walking back to your car at night. If he doesn't have those things, then all that's left to me is sound and fury signifying nothiing.

But then, I fully admit bias, in so far as I hate AEW's reliance on veterans; Jericho was a great get and a wonderful first big bad out of the gate, but they have Jake, Arn, Tully in leading roles, now they signed Sting, they signed Big Show, and I get that they're probably drawing a lot of lapsed fans for whom these signings are ratings draws, but for me personally, it's not a direction I care for as a rule, unless the vet in question brings something more than a name to the table. I get especially frustrated when you consider the genesis of AEW, it's roots in Japan and the indies and BTE and the All In show, all of which were predicated on a passion for new, fresh talent (mostly). To see that company trotting out the senior set in prominent roles is something I find...disheartening.

Anyway yeah not a big fan of Jake's current run. I could be way off base with this.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Man, to me Jake made Archer's initial run way more interesting. I loved the redneck training montages and Jake's promos that went along with them.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Is he? Listen I love Jake and he was tremendous and ahead of his time but in the year of our lord 2021, he just feels out of place and dated, at least to me. His cadence feels strange; he feels rambly, in that bad, Bray Wyatt, please stop kind of way. I think he has detracted from what Lance Archer brings or at least could bring to the table since jump street, and I don't know that I need to see him on the TV anymore, full stop.

He just doesn't have the same cool, cerebral factor anymore, and he's only intimidating if you're a single woman walking back to your car at night. If he doesn't have those things, then all that's left to me is sound and fury signifying nothiing.

But then, I fully admit bias, in so far as I hate AEW's reliance on veterans; Jericho was a great get and a wonderful first big bad out of the gate, but they have Jake, Arn, Tully in leading roles, now they signed Sting, they signed Big Show, and I get that they're probably drawing a lot of lapsed fans for whom these signings are ratings draws, but for me personally, it's not a direction I care for as a rule, unless the vet in question brings something more than a name to the table. I get especially frustrated when you consider the genesis of AEW, it's roots in Japan and the indies and BTE and the All In show, all of which were predicated on a passion for new, fresh talent (mostly). To see that company trotting out the senior set in prominent roles is something I find...disheartening.

Anyway yeah not a big fan of Jake's current run. I could be way off base with this.
From my personal circles at work and whatnot, the lapsed fans go "Big Show? That old bastard?" See the NBA fans RE: Jericho a few weeks ago.

RAW's withered down to 1.8 million people who apparently hate their families enough to suffer through RAW. The Wed demo for AEW is the neckbeards who still go watch indy shows in a bar's sand lot with 20 fans. 8 people in their audience have touched a breast, and only 7 of them did it consensually.

I don't think AEW's booking is tight enough to make people "care" about what the old managers say. Roberts' first few weeks was awesome, but after Archer was downed by Cody (IIRC) Archer meandered into the midcard. Jake trying to make sense of the heels feuding with heels and tweeners with Taz and whatnot isn't exactly giving him the meaty substance to try and formulate anything compelling with,

Arn is suffering from Cody's vanity booking, as Cody cuts promos and Arn gets to hold a clip board. Babyface managers are really hard to book consistently (Oliver Humperdink, Ted Dibiase w/Steiners, perhaps Arnie Skaaland in general from what I've seen with Backlund, even Jimmy Hart served little purpose with Hogan) Faces in a perfect world shouldn't have lackeys with them as the heels are supposed to be cheating, having the numbers advantage, etc for the faces to overcome.

Tully was also good in his early stuff with Shawn Spears, he too lost to Cody and was torpedoed to the midcard. Tully had nothing to do for a good while other than vaguely searching for a partner for Spears (IIRC) and now FTR has not exactly been built up in the way people had hoped the wrestling machines could be.

TL,DR, Book better and people might care what your managers say.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
I don't know. I didn't think Jake or Tully's early stuff was any great shakes. I actually have more time for Arn (though still little) because he's not a Very Old Man trying to act like a bad ass.

I also don't really care what AEW's demo is, or if the old guys are or are not draws; I think they probably are (IIRC Sting's debut brought them a good number) but either way I just want a good show. And no matter what the booking, I'm going to have a hard time getting behind both the continued use and the method of use of these veterans.

Your TLDR could be true; better booking might fix this for some. It won't for me.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
Man, to me Jake made Archer's initial run way more interesting. I loved the redneck training montages and Jake's promos that went along with them.
I remember a bit more clearly now my initial upsettedness with that was that Archer in his most recent NJPW run was a fucking diamond of a monster heel, and he didn't talk, and he didn't have a manager, he just let it the fuck loose and it worked 1000%, so for them to immediately put him not only with a mouthpiece, but one who talks a lot, killed that vibe for me straight out the gate. I get he was made to look like a dangerous guy (or at least they tried) but having him led around by this leathery old man just took that wild, loose cannon vibe and punched it in the nuts. But no, I also didn't care for the content of the promos.

I like a good manager. Heyman, Bobby, James E., even Sunny. But the manager has to fit the performer, at least to some extent. This was a swing and a miss. Shawn and Tully, 100% same deal, and see I do think Shawn needs a mouthpiece, but he's this young guy, and here's this 90 year old man (yeah yeah) leading him around by the jock. I dunno. Tully and FTR is admittedly a better fit but FTR don't need a manager; they can talk and they got their characters over on their own. Oy. It's all no good, I tells ya.