Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Meltzer Thread

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Move over Meltzer! Brian Last is starting a news podcast.

Where will @BruiserBrody ’s loyalties lie?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Move over Meltzer! Brian Last is starting a news podcast.

Where will @BruiserBrody ’s loyalties lie?
He can barely get Corny's 2 casts out on time. And he has all but given up on his 605 baby. I doubt this will work at least until after the Mets season is over. (Last's passion)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
A brand new, daily, wrestling newscast, aiming to tell you the story of what is really happening in professional wrestling, minus opinion and conjecture. A serious & straight forward look at professional wrestling.
Where's the fun in just listening to someone drone through headlines without commentary? I can read headlines on any NEWZ site if I give a damn. I figure if it doesn't make one of the threads here I look at then I don't need to know.
--
Here's an update for @King of Summer Kamala ... I discovered Brody King this weekend on Ethan Page's toy buying video. I haven't watched any of his wrestling stuff, but he's on my radar to look into. I liked his size and personality. (He likes He-man!) Progressive Brody watches modern wrestling. Not really, but sort of.....
I saw the AEW casket gif this weekend but didn't know who Darby was working with until listening to Corny's review tonight.

Staff member
Reaction score
Where's the fun in just listening to someone drone through headlines without commentary? I can read headlines on any NEWZ site if I give a damn. I figure if it doesn't make one of the threads here I look at then I don't need to know.
--
Here's an update for @King of Summer Kamala ... I discovered Brody King this weekend on Ethan Page's toy buying video. I haven't watched any of his wrestling stuff, but he's on my radar to look into. I liked his size and personality. (He likes He-man!) Progressive Brody watches modern wrestling. Not really, but sort of.....
I saw the AEW casket gif this weekend but didn't know who Darby was working with until listening to Corny's review tonight.

Dude I think you would REALLY like his work. I've talked to him a couple times at shows here and he's a cool dude too.

Staff member
Reaction score
The hard hitting great mat wrestling classic is apparently the same rating as a six man where the guys only did literally 10% of the spots they're capable of if even that.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Here's an update for @King of Summer Kamala ... I discovered Brody King this weekend on Ethan Page's toy buying video. I haven't watched any of his wrestling stuff, but he's on my radar to look into. I liked his size and personality. (He likes He-man!)
He's not as great a hoss as you'd like, but he's started to tone down the indy flippy shit and focus on being a big bad MF. Definitely somebody you'll appreciate, at the very least.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The match rating is very silly but exactly what I'd expect given the people involved. I've always thought Dave underrated Bryan for some reason. And he's always vastly overrated both the Bucks and Omega.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a Slim J match before. But I thought he was excellent in the 6-man. Great punches and crossfaces and fun stooging. I hope he sticks around in the midcard.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Tbh, I don't think I ever paid attention to their matches.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
I forget who it was on the old board/site that would praise NWA Wildside every chance they got, but I know they loved talking up Slim J. I've enjoyed everything I've seen from him, a good grasp of fundamentals, spot psychology, and character work during a match.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Slim J is awesome, and as someone who was big into early 2000s indies, it's been so great to see him get a national TV run. I'm totally on board with The Trustbusters since 3 of the 4 members are very talented, and the 4th has potential and working with the other 3 can only do good things for him.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I cannot support Malibu's Most Wanted at this time.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I love that Slim never updated his gimmick. It's so goofy and works as a heel.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
He was a semi-big name on the indies in the early 2000s. He was on some of TNA's early shows and was with ROH during the first two years of the company. He was basically a teenager at the time and disappeared until recently when he started appearing for AEW.

I won't give them this much credit but it's been rumored that the Trustbusters are basically Tony Khan poking fun at how the IWC sees him. Daivari is playing Khan, this rich young guy buying all the talent he wants. Slim J is the big name indy guy from 20 years ago that TK liked and lured back into the spotlight with his money, Parker is a former NXT guy that AEW signed and Sonny Kiss was someone people complained about not getting any airtime.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I mean, the matches were pretty damn great, especially the Okada match from last week. I don't know if I'd give the trios match 5 stars, but it's also hilarious how much people throw a fit over one person's opinion on matches. In one post someone will complain how others should stop listening to Dave, and then in the next post bitch about his star ratings. Much like movies, TV, and music if people don't agree they can do their own ratings. How is this so hard?

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
I think most of the pushback against Meltzer's ratings is because he used to reserve the full 5 for something that was seen as truly great, something that epitomized the product it took place in (territory, era, promotion, etc.). Nowadays it seems like he tosses them out whenever there's a good sequence of highspots and you have to carve out an afternoon to watch the whole match.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
As someone who watches between 10 and 20+ hours of pro wrestling a week, depending how many indie and NJPW shows there are a week, I can easily say there are tons of great matches (there's also tons of shit, but that's another story). Just looking at the MOTY thread, there are numerous amounts of matches added every month, so it's not out of the question that there are tons more 5 star matches.