Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

The Office

AntiLeaf33

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was a nice touch that Michael finally got his children. Was a little odd that he was so quiet, but then again, it seemed like Steve Carell was on the verge of tears in every shot

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Well you know, he had his goodbye. This was the show's goodbye. I thought the appearance was well done.

Creed giving his finale speech as he's being carted off was great. Classic Creed.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I really enjoyed it. The Michael apperance was perfect and not overdone and there were plenty of feel-good moments. They managed to salvage a disaster of a season and go out with dignity.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
tumblr_mmxkoxMD3c1qa0n48o1_250.gif
tumblr_mmxkoxMD3c1qa0n48o2_250.gif

tumblr_mmy47sENDa1rv5605o1_500.gif

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, the people who work in the warehouse get to look at a painting of all the people who work in the office, but not of themselves. Lucky them.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Hah, I thought about that while they were posing in front of it. We always knew the warehouse workers were second class citizens anyways.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Other than so many people suddenly departing after so many years of being together at one place I liked the finale a lot.

It was also pretty preposterous that the reception was held in the warehouse. Someone also needs to explain why Toby was fired? Just for being in the way of Dwight's plans? Dwight's lingering feelings from Micheal's Toby hate? I missed something.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I am kind of in the middle with this finale.. The stuff with Erin's parents felt way too forced,, and I thought it was odd that they chose that to follow up on but not how Dwight could be Philip's father when he had a DNA test that said otherwise. Yes, yes, the Senator could have falsified the results but it would've been nice to have that referenced. Just seems like such a odd thing to leave unanswered.. Unless they're retconning it, which is even more bizarre.

Everything with Kevin and Creed was gold, though.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
BRODY said:
Other than so many people suddenly departing after so many years of being together at one place I liked the finale a lot.

It was also pretty preposterous that the reception was held in the warehouse. Someone also needs to explain why Toby was fired? Just for being in the way of Dwight's plans? Dwight's lingering feelings from Micheal's Toby hate? I missed something.

Someone somewhere (either AV Club comments or Office Tally comments) tried to clarify that the reason Michael could never do that when Toby spoiled his fun was he was a corporate employee. The Dunder Mifflin that Dwight manages is an independent business funded by David Wallace so he can fire any employee there. So yes, Toby upset Dwight and that was it.

Damn Tumblr violations removing that Creed gif.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It always makes me sad to see a show that I've watched so long end, and this is no different.

Andy's quote
"I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ole' days before you've actually left them." was pretty damn sad to me.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BRODY said:

It was also pretty preposterous that the reception was held in the warehouse.

The reception wasn't at the warehouse. It was at Dwight's farm where the wedding was. PBS had a party for the cast, crew and other executives in the warehouse since that was a logical place to have it.

I was happy to see Michael be toned down as it worked well to see him mature as a person just like almost everyone else had done from the show. They even managed to redeem Andy after completely making him one of the more insufferable sitcom characters in ages. The final seasons had some rough patches but I was glad to see closure placed on most of these characters.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
No. Just... no.

The last couple years were pretty bad, although it ended strong. Just let it go out on a good note.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the show was bad for longer than it was good. Seasons 2 and 3 are great and the stuff leading up to Michael leaving is good, but the rest of it is mediocre-to-bad for the most part.

I would probably still watch a reboot, though.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, no one want this. Carrell seems above it and I think the only ones interested in an Office reboot are Angela and Creed.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I don’t get the need to keep bringing back old shit. They did it with Heroes, a show that had tanked their ratings the last couple seasons. And it came back to zero fanfare. Prison Break as well.

I’ve never watched will and grace. I think that did ok coming back. Roaseanne is coming back after a Long break. The X-Files did. They just can’t let anything that had success on the networks die if there’s a chance to start it up again.

My problem when 24 came back was that tv had just gotten so much better in the time that it was off that it just looked old when it returned.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
When Jim and Pam got married that kinda ended any interest with those characters and the rest of the show couldn't compensate.

Epic for the Summer

Epic Reine
Reaction score
The Michael Scott Paper Company remains one of the greatest story arcs in TV sitcom history in my opinion. Everything after that kind of got progressively worse and was near unwatchable after Michael left.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NBC is also bringing back Mad About You. That show was terrible 25 years ago

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm sure the actors are all keeping busy in terms of getting work but Carrell is the only one who's actually above it. Rain Wilson's tv show that he was on bombed, Krasinki's movies have pretty much sucked and that one show Jenna Fischer is on now looks horrid. I could see all three coming back simply because they all seem like their best work has been as Dwight, Jim and Pam.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
KingPK said:
When Jim and Pam got married that kinda ended any interest with those characters and the rest of the show couldn't compensate.

I was able to deal with them getting married. It was when they started having babies that I had problems. Children ruin everything on TV shows that didn't previously have them.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
strummer said:
NBC is also bringing back Mad About You. That show was terrible 25 years ago

I hope Jake Busey is ready when the eventual Shasta McNasty revival happens. Maybe bring back Arli$$ as well.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Old school tough guy said:
Will Smith's career has hit the skids, I wouldn't mind bringing back Fresh Prince with him in the Uncle Phil role.

He agrees! http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/will-smith-on-how-hed-come-back-to-fresh-prince-of-bel-air.html

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Been rewatching quite a few of these when the re-runs air pretty regularly on weekend mornings on Comedy Central. I watched the whole series as they aired, so there was a lot I forgot.

While like many others I felt the show really dipped after Michael left, I still think the Finale was one of the best finales in recent television. This was on a few weekends ago and I forgot how much I enjoyed it. Almost bumped this thread then.

They have been showing a lot of Season 3 on TV today and there are a few things that even though this was only 2007, I can't see getting cleared in 2019. We go from the episode where Andy discovers his girlfriend is in high school right to the next show starting with Michael wanting to be the cool teacher like the one he used to have that then got trouble for hooking up with a student in the eighth grade. I laughed but thinking about the world in the past ten years, just can't see those jokes being allowed now.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
I don't remember the season, but I actually thought the drop-off started before Michael left. To me, the show was at it's best when Michael was a prick who didn't know he was a prick. We've all known people like that before.

Once they started softening Michael it kind of ruined it. I remember hating the Michael-HR lady story, but that was already well past the peak.