Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

This Day in Pro Wrestling History

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Should've pulled the trigger on Christian. What's the worst that could've happened?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

JN News

Pizzamaniac
Reaction score
17 years ago today, former WWE Champion, Eddie Guerrero passed away at the age of 38. It was one of the saddest days in the history of our great sport.

RIP: Eddie Guerrero (1967-2005). We miss you, Eddie.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Is there any truth to him supposedly winning the belt back or is that just a better story?

JN News

Pizzamaniac
Reaction score
I have no idea on whether or not he was supposed to become the World Heavyweight Champion. But I think that Dave Meltzer might know something about that, if anyone.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
I've heard he was supposed to face Shawn Michaels at WM22. But I suppose it's not impossible that he could have won and lost the belt in between

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Batista Vs Orion was the original plan for the main event of WrestleMania 22. Which is not to say that Eddie wouldn’t have held the big belt again at some point between November of ‘05 and April ‘06.

In fact, didn’t Bruce Prichard confirm the rumor that Eddie was supposed to win it the night that he died? It seems odd cause I could probably count the number of World Title changes on free TV in the ‘00s on one hand and maybe have a few fingers leftover.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I think Batista Vs Orion was the original plan for the main event of WrestleMania 22. Which is not to say that Eddie wouldn’t have held the big belt again at some point between November of ‘05 and April ‘06.

In fact, didn’t Bruce Prichard confirm the rumor that Eddie was supposed to win it the night that he died? It seems odd cause I could probably count the number of World Title changes on free TV in the ‘00s on one hand and maybe have a few fingers leftover.
That involves believing what Bruce says any given week.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pretty sure Orton was going to win the title and was going to face Angle at Mania, that of course before the Eddie-ploitation started with Rey.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not sure but Meltz has said Rey was supposed to get screwed out of his Rumble win and the title match was supposed to be Angle v Orton at Mania.

But that was all after Eddie's death so not sure what the direction was before then

Valeyard

Reaction score
IIRC, Eddy didn't want to be on top again, as the stress and demands of being THE GUY were threats to his sobriety.
This is always what I thought and what was common sense, but the story became about how he would've won the belt back that night and how that sounds much more dramatic than probably eating the fall in the threeway.

I was DOWN for Eddie/Shawn, too. I couldn't wait and it was absolutely the natural direction for the both of them.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WrestleMania 22 is one of the oddest Manias ever. Obviously, it was snakebitten by injury (and death, I guess, in one case) so that cast a shadow over the show. Plus the fact that it was the last WM in an arena before they made the permanent move to stadiums makes me think they were move willing to make risks.

Valeyard

Reaction score
They should run a smaller arena one day. I don't care if they jack up the prices or whatever (I'm not going so I can say this), but the stadiums lack the same kind of crowd energy. I remember the Cena/HHH response better than anything in that match.

At least we got Trish/Mickie and Edge/Foley.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right. Maybe they'll do XXXIX in MSG. Wasn't Triple H one of those guys interviewed in the WrestleMania doc from 10ish years ago who said he preferred arenas? Even if he gave the standard "I like to wrestle in the most fans." answer, you know he's enough of an old school guy to know that arenas are better.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I suspect there's a point where business backslides enough to where running an arena is more palatable. And it really doesn't take much. If the demand is for 35,000 fans, promoters would rather do an arena and artificially inflate demand rather than try and sell a 70,000 seat stadium.

Side rant. Taylor Swift is running THREE shows at Lincoln Financial Field next year. For as much as people complain about the economy entertainers sure aren't having a problem selling tickets right now.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He bridged Announcer Vince into Mr. McMahon beautifully with that interview. So seamless. Maybe the last time he really did something subtle.