Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

This Day in Pro Wrestling History

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jerry Lawler replaced Mr. Perfect as the color commentator on Superstars in December ‘92 after Perfect came out of retirement.

He didn’t appear on RAW until the first RAW after WrestleMania (which was a lame duck, pre tape show and not what it became).

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I like McLaughlin Group-era Prime Time but I agree that Duggan and Hillbilly Jim added nothing. Had the show had lasted into '93 and not been replaced by Raw, we could have had JR and Savage on one side and Heenan and, uh, Bruce Prichard as "The Wizard" on the other so maybe it's good that it ended when it did.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Imagine losing a world title by submitting to your own hold!
So was the "Brazo Valley back breaker" a thing during Hansen's career? I don't recall this off hand in his AWA and WCW matches. His high end All Japan/NJPW stuff wasn't going to see him submit the top guys. But then again I haven't watched that stuff heavily in 15 years so maybe there is an outlier the Puro boys can point to.
--
The Apters made a big deal that Martel won the WWF tag belts via the same move he lost the AWA title with.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
So was the "Brazo Valley back breaker" a thing during Hansen's career? I don't recall this off hand in his AWA and WCW matches. His high end All Japan/NJPW stuff wasn't going to see him submit the top guys. But then again I haven't watched that stuff heavily in 15 years so maybe there is an outlier the Puro boys can point to.
--
The Apters made a big deal that Martel won the WWF tag belts via the same move he lost the AWA title with.
Yeah, Martel didn't start using the Boston crab until Strike Force became a thing

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Triple H returned to MSG from his quad injury 22 years ago today.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
That's a weird moment for me to look back on. HHH was one of my all time favorites and I was thrilled to have him back, and the pop was perfect and everything felt so great. But then he takes his shirt off and is twice his previous size and visibly not moving the same. If he were the same worker he was before, I'd have dug the reign of terror.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah everyone forgets IWC was initially very behind the Triple H face comeback but sometime between the Rumble and WrestleMania X-8, the tide turned fast and hard.
wonder if it had anything to do with the fact
that noted darling of that community, Chris Jericho, was completely cucked and stuffed in a terrible program in that timeframe?

Valeyard

Reaction score
There was a big "Krusty is coming!" mentality when it came to HHH getting back into form, too. I think until Wrestlemania people were hoping he'd be back in his previous groove as a worker, and I know a lot of people were expecting a **** match with Jericho regardless of booking because the last matches they had were still recent and all incredible without needing to main event the biggest show of the year. HHH, he has something to prove! Main event! Comback! Insecurity over the work Angle, Austin, etc. put on while he was gone! That shit. Same for Jericho, really, because he was having great matches with non-Austins and was a larger than life living legend who Rock bent over backwards to legitimize for at least four months. I think, to an extent, everyone was expecting the match to overcome the booking, but HHH stunk and Jericho knew his place by then. Steph, unironically, puts in the best work.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Frankly I'd forgive it if HHH didn't drop the title immediately only because it meant there was a plan beyond assassination of Jericho.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
I was on board with his return until he did the pose before hitting the Pedigree on Angle. Immediate "oh, that'll be a thing now" feeling that took me out of it, plus the aforementioned realizing he wasn't moving or working as well as before.

Big Papa Paegan

L. A. Z.
Reaction score
Count me in with the folks who were disappointed in how bad HHH's return was. Like Val, he was my GOAT in 2000 and pre-tear 2001, to the point where I still consider his epic 2000 run to be the single best run of any WWE talent to date.

Then he could barely move, and the booking took a severe turn, and I haven't watched the product for more than a few months at a time (if even) ever since.

Valeyard

Reaction score
That three weeks or whatever Raw had the best ratings in years before they put the title right back on Cena. Great times.

Edge and Lita had a way shorter run than I thought.