Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

This Day in Pro Wrestling History

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
It's so funny how they just wedged Luger and this actually entertaining and compelling character into that shit.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
It's so funny how they just wedged Luger and this actually entertaining and compelling character into that shit.
And sad that Hogan went away before we could get to the Sting/Luger vs Mega Powers PPV match that everything was building towards.

--
I still shake my head at Big Show saying this 1st year was horrible and later on he "learned how to work". Meanwhile, year 1 he's in all sorts of fun stuff with Hogan, Sting, Savage, Luger as well as compelling hoss fights on Nitro with Tenta, Norton, etc on top of his squash matches smashing geeks.
By 98 he's fat and smoking. And his early WWF run was botched and he was sent to the fat farm of OVW.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Russo burning through Austin/Show is one of the stupidest things he doesn't get buried for.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Austin was fucking stupid if that's the case and isn't allowed to shit on similar decisions made by WCW. I really don't know if I can see him not wanting a ppv payday from that match, though. I don't think Vince would've had Austin get damaged by a Show push. Russo would, because swerve, but Vince wouldn't kill the golden goose.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I think we ignore a lot of Austin BS because he was awesome and drew money.

- Other than the wife beating shit....
- Refused to job to The Rock in Dec 97 for the IC title (Which ended up being the 4th title in 6 months he won and then didn't lose in the ring.
- You can argue about guys Austin didn't work with to move up the card at his peak (Billy Gunn/Jarrett etc) and we know by 2001 he was vetoing storylines to work more and more matches with Undertaker.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Some of those were definitely the right call, though. I'm never going to begrudge the Jarrett or Gunn stuff because it was the right decision and every push they got after just confirmed it and major losses to them would've hurt Austin more than helped anyone else. Not putting Rock over was really weird at the time but honestly it kind of worked out.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I remember the story of Hogan visiting TNA and awkwardly running into Savage after years of not speaking and Savage's rap album. I don't know if the "it was super awkward and Savage left quickly" version is right but I sorta hope it was. It's just so wrestling.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It was 5 years ago today the McMahons and HHH did the famous "we know things suck now but we swear it will be better" promo on .RAW. And then nothing changed

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well Vince had a few more legal aids to finish through first pal

Valeyard

Reaction score
I've never been sure if I fall on the side that thinks Raw replaced Prime Time or that Raw evolved from Prime Time. Like part of me really wants to consider it the same show, just rebranded and retooled for the times.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
RAW definitely replaced PTW. I could maybe buy the argument if RAW had studio wraparounds or started out as a two hour show.

Imagining how bad some of the filler would have been if ‘93-‘95 RAWs were two hours sends a shiver down your spine though.

Valeyard

Reaction score
To an extent I want to think that it's the same basic show but altered for the times, like how they tried to change Prime Time when Monsoon left or how Raw Is War was based around a new set and higher budget. A Syd Barrett to David Gilmour thing vs a Yardbirds to Zeppelin thing.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Really Primetime Wrestling died a slow death after they switched from the Gorilla hosting from the studio format. It’s not coincidental that the decline accelerated during the stupid studio talk show (with Vince hosting in his horrible/awesome gym wear) and panel show years of PTW.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The panel show could've been so much fun with more effort put in and a different group. Hillbilly had no business on TV anymore and Duggan was completely unnecessary.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It should’ve been Gorilla, Bobby, rotating heel, and a rotating face. Having panelists like Perfect, Slick and Duggan just made it look and sound like CNN for idiots.

Vince presiding over a panel always seemed very “Muppet Show”-y and I never liked his chemistry with Bobby. It felt like two co workers that don’t really get along trying to make fun banter and failing. Stupit Bobby Heenan.

Valeyard

Reaction score
If they'd gone full-on NFL Sunday panel (pick a network/style) it's a really fun little oddity. Just don't make Vince a key element in itself and it works better.