Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Thrift Store Shopping

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Found Megaman X4 at a Columbia Flea Market for $8 last weekend.

Stopped at the Salvation Army this morning and picked up a brand new Sega Dreamcast controller (box was opened, bag around the controller was unopened) for $6.99
Also stopped by this big Mom and Pop junk shop off the side of the highway and got a factory sealed Centipede for the Atari 2600 in excellent condition for $5.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Goodwill. Fenton, MI. 70 Green Army Men for 99 cents...

P9110229.jpg

YOU GODDAMN BETTER BELIEVE I BOUGHT EM!

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Found a big bag of Intellivision games for $15. They're pretty much all complete, but there's nothing too rare. I was hoping the Intellivoice would be worth something, but not really.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ohh, Mystical Ninja AND Mischief Makers more than make up for the inclusion of Yoshi's Story.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Entourage: The Movie: The Official Novelization said:
Ohh, Mystical Ninja AND Mischief Makers more than make up for the inclusion of Yoshi's Story.

I tried to play Yoshi's Story once. I was stuck just a couple of minutes in. Smash Bros, 2 Mario Party games, and Mario Kart pretty much made this a slam dunk buy.

Loved Mystical Ninja on the SNES. Never played the 64 one. Guess that one will fall into the collection. I'll also trade out my gray Zelda for the gold one.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Before you start Mystical Ninja, make sure you look up the complicated controls for the giant robot.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Found the Halo Reach Legendary Edition statue still sealed in the bag at the Goodwill for $6.06 last night.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Found some 3D0 games at Goodwill today. Mad Dog II and Way of the Warrior were complete, but Way of the Warrior is pretty scratched up and probably won't play. I was really excited to see Road Rash there, but the John Madden Football disc was in the case, instead. I still bought it, since it was only $2, though.

Looked all over the store for the system, but couldn't find one, unfortunately.

Captain of Outer Space

reaching for the sky just to surrender
Reaction score
Picked up a SimCity 4 CD at Salvation Army for $1.00.

Half-an-hour into it and I feel like I got ripped off.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Found a scratched up Skyrim today for $6. Just the disc, but it seems to work for the 15 minutes I played it.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
That's a good score. I've bought two MW3's for 360 at Goodwill stores lately for a total of $27. I've already turned one for $35. Gotta get the second disc resurfaced.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Suikoden and Star Ocean: The Second Story for $2 a piece at Goodwill this morning.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once in a while I'll find some good stuff in there. There was some other PS1 games that had been there the last time I was in a few days earlier, but nothing special (Gran Turismo 1 & 2 and a disc-only Dino Crisis). I assume they all came from the same person since they're all in great shape, but the RPGs weren't out there with the rest of the stuff, originally.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Hit my first grand slam in a bit. Got Mega Man X and X3 at a Goodwill today for $1.99 each

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, X3 is going into the collection. Not just for resale

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's a flea market in Lafayette, LA that can best be described as a "flea market flash mob." It's a first for me, but I'm not a flea market expert, this could be the norm. Essentially, Friday, Saturday, Sunday it's first come first serve, grab a booth and do your thing and whoever runs the whole thing comes around collecting the appropriate rent. They got some people with really elaborate setups for video games, movies, music, handmade jewelry. Then you got a random chick cutting hair. And if you didn't get a booth, don't fret you can just set up shop in the parking lot out the back of your truck.

Anyway, I went scope it out while visiting my lady's family and the video game folks had every system I've ever heard of from Atari to PS3. Even freaking Virtual Boy new in box. In any case there was nothing "thrift" about their prices. I've been considering grabbing an Atari lately but I'm not about to start dropping the $8.00/game they wanted. In addition they were equally ridiculous on NES games. And predictably they had nothing set up to verify they worked.

The dude making bracelets out of silverware was pretty interesting though. He answered any bullshit question we could come up with and even offered to resize a pure silver fork bracelet to make it smaller for her sister.

They had some other guy selling baseball cards out the back of his truck, loose in ziploc bags. I walked off annoyed.

The flea market where I live rents booths by the month. So again, this was a new experience for me.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Picked up a 64 with 4 controllers for $15 at Goodwill today. I could care less about the system. I get $10 easy each on controllers

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Contra Hard Corps, Castlevania Bloodlines, X-Men 2, and Rocket Knight Adventures complete for $3 a piece? Yes please.

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
treble said:
Contra Hard Corps, Castlevania Bloodlines, X-Men 2, and Rocket Knight Adventures complete for $3 a piece? Yes please.

FUCK YOU AND FUCK THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON!

*ahem*

Good finds~!

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Stopped at 2nd and Charles this evening. For those that don't have one in your area, it's a subsidiary of Books-A-Million, and sells mostly used books, CDs, DVDs, game systems, etc. The missus and I stopped by there this evening, and I decided to take a stop by the trashcan on the way into the store to throw away a soda bottle. I saw something green at the very top of the trash can that looked like an X-Box game case. I picked it up with my fingertips and it was the original Halo (no big deal, but it's a classic and I haven't played it in quite a while). It had a note taped to the case that said "we do not accept trades in this condition". I was puzzled because the disc had VERY light wear on the bottom, nothing out of the ordinary or the least bit neglectful, and the case was in pretty good shape. All that was missing was the instructions. Brought it home, popped it in the 360 and it works fine. Free Halo FTW!

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Scored alright. Paid $30 for a pile is PS1, Dreamcast, and Saturn games. Highlights were a long box version of Resident Evil. A mint Final Fantasy VII, and Persona for the PS1. Along with motherfucking Dragon Force for the Saturn.

In total

8 Saturn games
5 Dreamcast games
15 PS1 games

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
Nice finds. Couldn't tell you the last big thing I found at a thrift store. Our Goodwill Stores are usually stocked with the same generic sports games for Genesis and PS2.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Couple of the pawn shops I haven't visited in some time are officially off my check list. One had a Mega Man 6 and the guy was telling me the "collector's value" is $30, but I could have it for $25. He had to look it up in their inventory. I only get $12-$15 when I sell it. Gotta love when people that don't know any better try and educate you.

Just price your damn games and I won't have to waste either my time or yours. Picked up 6 DS games for $25 though. FF III, Starfox, a Nintendogs, and a few so-so ones

Haws Bah Gawd

Reaction score
$4.04 Black Label Chrono Cross last week. That's all I've found lately.