Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Wrestlemania 25

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
I had an opportunity to go, but couldn't muster up the scratch for the trip. Free ticket and everything, even if it would be behind whatever entranceway they're using. It would feel empty away from my sports bar crowd anyway, they've become integral to my enjoyment of any PPV.

Which one was XXII? Was that the one in Chicago that had the absurd HHH entrance attire? Despite seeing them every year, not all of them stick with me really.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Yep, that was XXII.

I had this weird feeling while watching Mania 21 last night that the Triple Threat match will go on before MITB V, Edge will lose, then he'll assault Kofi Kingston and take his place in the match, win it, then take the belt from HHH at the end of the show.

Absolutely not, though.

I've determined that, due to the inconvenience of going to the movie theatre or bar when I have to work an hour after the show, I will order the show from home (thanks, GST rebate). I just haven't decided if I'm going to go the more sound route of ordering the $45 SD feed or the $20 more HD feed. If I can convince at least one person I know to come over for the show, I'll shell out for the HD version. It just looks nicer.

zio

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For the people not wanting to order because it's opening night for the Braves, go ahead and order because we already know what's going to happen.

Phillies 10 Braves 0

;D

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Here is the order of events for WMXXV, courtesy of Main Event & Fox 8 (Australia Cable) (thanks to reader Cameron Hamon):

World Wrestling Entertainment presents: WrestleMania - The 25th Anniversary
Presented by National Guard
Reliant Stadium, Houston, TX
Sunday, April 5; 7e/4p LIVE on Pay-per-view
Contact your local service provider for ordering information

Hosted by Jim Ross, Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole.

Order of Events:

Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherzinger sings America The Beautiful

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match
Rey Mysterio vs John "Bradshaw" Layfield ©

Money In The Bank Ladder Match
Christian vs Finlay (w/ Hornswoggle) vs Mark Henry (w/ Tony Atlas) vs Montel Vontavious Porter vs Kane vs Shelton Benjamin vs CM Punk vs Kofi Kingston

Legends Challenge Gauntlet Match
Chris Jericho vs Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, Rowdy Roddy Piper and Jimmy "The Superfly" Snuka (w/ Ric Flair and Mickey Rourke)

WWE Tag Team Championship Unification Match
WWE Tag Team Champions John Morrison and The Miz vs World Tag Team Champions Carlito and Primo Colón

Extreme Rules Match
Matt Hardy vs Jeff Hardy

LIVE Musical Performance from critically-acclaimed artist Kid Rock

25-Diva Miss WrestleMania Battle Royal
Participants include: Melina, Mickie James, Beth Pheonix, Santino Marella, Michelle McCool, Tammy Lynn Sytch, Victoria, Mae Young and Gail Kim

World Heavyweight Championship Match
John Cena vs Edge © vs The Big Show

"The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker

WWE Heavyweight Championship Match
Randy Orton (w/ Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase) vs Triple H (w/ Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley) ©

http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/wwe/1741.html

zio

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Seems top heavy. Hope the crowd doesn't burn out because those three main events back to back to back will really exhaust them.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If they simply swap Taker/Michaels and the Diva Battle Royal around it would work a treat.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
I'm not going to defend the build to this show because it has been weak, but watching Mania 22 this afternoon reminded me that it isn't as if this is the first Mania since WrestleMania 13 to have a strong build for one (presumably) great match with a bunch of poor build for matches that should be reserved for B-shows.

A quick reminder of the Mania 22 build:
- Much like this year, the World Title match wasn't made a triple threat match until after No Way Out.
- The entire build for the above match was the Guerrero exploitation.
- Vince vs. Shawn was built up by having McMahon expose his ass weekly while Shawn took a urine test.
- HHH vs. Cena was built up by having HHH repeatedly state Cena was beneath him, the match was a forgone conclusion, etc., all done through very dull segments on Raw.

And I really enjoy that show! Keeping that in mind, I think this will a pretty good Mania. Now for some useless stats!

- CM Punk will become the first man to be in three consecutive Money in the Bank matches.
- Shelton Benjamin will be in his record 4th MITB match, missing only MITB 3.
- Big Show is currently tied with Tito Santana for Worst WrestleMania Record at 1-7. Unless you're one of those people who don't count indirect losses (and Edge is the one who takes the fall), not winning the title would cause Show to have the worst Mania record in history.
- This will be Undertaker's 9th WrestleMania in a row, but he will need to compete in 3 more to tie Bret Hart's record of 12 consecutive Mania appearances (which actually equal 13 matches thanks to Mania X).
- While this is "only" Shawn Michael's 7th consecutive WrestleMania match, it marks his 16th WrestleMania match, just one shy of The Undertaker's impressive 17th WrestleMania match.
- This is the first WrestleMania to feature an Intercontinental Championship match since WrestleMania X8, the first to have a WWE Tag Title match since XX, and the first to have a World Tag Title match since 22. It also the second WrestleMania in a row to not have a defense of the Women's Title, which had been defended at the 7 previous Mania's before not being defended at XXIV.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wonder how the brother feud would have been if they had Matt win one of the main titles in December and it was Jeff who snapped.

It would have tied in with the Jeff Hardy unlucky storyline.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
Is it wrong that, as a fan, I've never given a crap about the Hall of Fame? Maybe it's knowing the backstage political intrigue that goes on in the inductions and all that, but I never care to watch it and haven't even touched that part of my Wrestlemania XXIV DVD.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wouldn't say so. As a fan who started watching in the early 90's, I really only care to watch the inductions for guys that I (mostly) grew up watching, like Austin, Flair, and Bret among others. For the latter two, I believe those were the only ones that I watched the full inductions for on the DVD sets. When the WM 25 set comes out on DVD, I'll likely just end up watching the full Austin, Steamboat, and Okerlund speeches. My interest really comes down to how much of the person's work I've seen or read about, and I've just never delved into much of the stuff prior to 1987 or so.

Taxman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
re: In Crowd/Colons

Do you think they'll create new unified tag titles, keep one set or have the winners carry around both?

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know it's being billed as a 'Unification' match, but has it been said whether or not one set of titles is being done away with? I've been getting the feeling that the match is just title for title, with the winning team being a double champion.

Molotov The Bear

Chainsaw Batman & Tyrano Shark
Reaction score
Yeah, I gotta figure (and I really hope) that it'll just be the In Crowd winning and keeping BOTH tag titles, rather than actually making one set of tag titles out of both sets.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
http://www.streamsmania.tv/ is selling HD streams for $6.95, if anyone's interested in seeing the PPV without having to spend either ridiculous cash or the first hour fishing for a free stream that isn't a) shitty or b) overrun by dumbasses in the embedded chat room.

Reaction score
oldskool said:
http://www.streamsmania.tv/ is selling HD streams for $6.95, if anyone's interested in seeing the PPV without having to spend either ridiculous cash or the first hour fishing for a free stream that isn't a) shitty or b) overrun by dumbasses in the embedded chat room.

Wow..........

If anyone ends up getting that, let me know if it's legit.

Obi Chris Kenobi

Personal Text goes here, Venkman
Reaction score
daileyxplanet said:
I NEED to see Miz & Morrison carting around four belts and two slammy's.

If they make it as fun as Owen Hart I'm all for it. I loved the smug character of Owen Hart when he had the two slammys and two belts

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
There's a picture of Helms wrestling at Axxess on WWE.com - he's wearing his full Hurricane gear again, minus the facemask.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Obi Chris Kenobi said:
daileyxplanet said:

If they make it as fun as Owen Hart I'm all for it. I loved the smug character of Owen Hart when he had the two slammys and two belts

Ah, that's when I became a giant Owen Hart mark. The best part was he didn't even actually win the awards. The second one was "Best Bowtie" which he just stole. But they'd introduce him as "The Slammy Award Winning, King of Harts Owen Hart". And he had Slammys printed on his tights. I was like 13 years old and I couldn't understand why he wasn't cheered for being so hilarious.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
oldskool said:
Do the people in the chat room really bug you that much? I just sort of tune it out when I'm watching a stream of anything. Sports bar for me tonight though, like it should be!

Obi Chris Kenobi

Reaction score
CookieMueller said:
Obi Chris Kenobi said:
daileyxplanet said:

Ah, that's when I became a giant Owen Hart mark. The best part was he didn't even actually win the awards. The second one was "Best Bowtie" which he just stole. But they'd introduce him as "The Slammy Award Winning, King of Harts Owen Hart". And he had Slammys printed on his tights. I was like 13 years old and I couldn't understand why he wasn't cheered for being so hilarious.

Yup! He was probably the last of the old school heels :(

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
CookieMueller said:
Obi Chris Kenobi said:
daileyxplanet said:

Yup, and wasn't his first Slammy the one he also somehow stole for putting Michaels on the shelf with the enzuigiri?

Obi Chris Kenobi

Reaction score
All my food for tonight has arrived some I'm more then set for this, as it gets closure I'm getting a bit more excited despite the underwhleming card. Michaels v Taker will more then likely steel the show and I'm still expecting Stone Cold to Stunner someone before the end of the night.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't believe this PPV is like $50. At least I think that's the price in Canada. Do we still have access to that streaming thing?