Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Wrestling audio or podcasts

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Most people: Why would they do a podcast on an old Western?”

Me: a podcast on one of WCW’s last and potentially most forgettable attempt to recapture the success of the nWo? Dammit. I’m in.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Groovy Greg has a RF Video clip just uploaded (I probably reviewed this honestly) where he claims he was supposed to head to WCW to be a worker. His back ended up being too bad to sign the contract.
I can sort of believe this in a Mike Graham agent/worker sense.

He says he ended up signing as an agent under Watts. Greg booked a full year of PPVs in his first week so WCW would have a long term vison. Watts was impressed.

Gagne claims of course he wanted to push Austin, Nash, HHH, and Booker T (in 1993 mind you) which is his version wrestling version of Verne wanting to start an MMA promotion in 1993 with Randy Couture and Chuck Liddell fresh out of college.

He goes on to say he pitched AWA vs WCW in 1993 where the rosters would be split and compete. Eric fired him after the idea was pitched and Eric turned it into the NWO angle.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Paul Walter Hauser or Bully Ray?

"Yeah, but I'd have to lose an extraordinary amount of weight, and it's not falling off like I hoped it would. I'm going to have to re-examine where I am at a certain point. It's not about the money. I want to have a fun match, but I am having trouble. I've been working out. I feel better, moving better, but it's not showing up, as of yet, on the scale. I'm not sure. I'll have an answer by the beginning of the year," he said.

Called it.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
@BruiserBrody , you must have stopped listening to John McAdam’s podcast a while ago because otherwise, I feel like you would have mentioned him basically turning it into a 1984 WWF rewatch/recap podcast. Or maybe that’s why you’re posting a bunch of ‘84 notes in the classic WWF thread.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
@BruiserBrody , you must have stopped listening to John McAdam’s podcast a while ago because otherwise, I feel like you would have mentioned him basically turning it into a 1984 WWF rewatch/recap podcast. Or maybe that’s why you’re posting a bunch of ‘84 notes in the classic WWF thread.
Very Good boyson. I actually mention the source by name a time or 2. I'm surprised I don't see you in the Stick to Wrestling FB page. I've been posting daily lately.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The fact his podcast wasn't actually an 83 week long deep dive into the innerworkings of not just wrestling or WCW but television production and dealing with executives or sponsors is a shame.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
An actual week by week breakdown in order would have been potentially interesting, but it would also be problematic to try and find new takes for a lot of the talents. We'd hit some high points for him to defend or breakdown but it would suffer from the sameness that a lot of podcasts do after a bit.
Sometimes it seems a guy doing a couple of shoot interviews was adequate.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eric’s newest grift is that this is all a work and that he and TK are friendly with each other and TK misses Eric being at the shows.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eric is projecting. He is big mad that he didn’t get one of those contracts to show up on AEW TV occasionally like Jake or Arn or Tully. It’s total immature “You don’t want to date me? Well you’re an ugly bitch anyway.” behavior.

Opening chapter of his second book (don’t worry, I just read the free preview on Amazon) is about doing his promo in years at a small indie show in 2016 and how much he missed the rush of performing in front of live audiences. He might be “too busy with other projects” but pitching reality shows to Tubi with Jason Hervey isn’t going to give him the same rush as being booed by 10,000 (or 4,000 or 40!) people would.

Valeyard

Reaction score
A full week-by-week breakdown for 83 weeks wouldn't be managable. I just mean an 83 week-long project going over what makes a televised wrestling show work, not just what was happening at the time. I like the idea of seeing how that side of the business works since we never hear about it. He's experienced that in three very different promotions run by very different people in very different time periods. I'd love some insight into that. That side of the business always seemed like where he was most passionate, too.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
AWA and WCW didn't work though.

"We had an idea but Hogan changed it"
"Kevin Sullivan was booking not me"
"Verne picked me because I was wearing a suit and had nice hair. I had no idea what I was doing."
"I liked having beers with Ray Stevens and Wahoo. I wasn't in a spot where I was in booking meetings, I was learning the craft of being an announcer"

Valeyard

Reaction score
If he's talking about the wrestling aspect solely, no. I'm talking about the production of weekly shows and what he learned and how it helped or hurt shows. Dealing with people who weren't in the business vs those who were. It isn't just solely about wrestling, necessarily. If you massage his ego, he's willing to get specific about anything, anyway.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If he's talking about the wrestling aspect solely, no. I'm talking about the production of weekly shows and what he learned and how it helped or hurt shows. Dealing with people who weren't in the business vs those who were. It isn't just solely about wrestling, necessarily. If you massage his ego, he's willing to get specific about anything, anyway.
If you give him Blue Chew, you don't even have to massage it first.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Problem with a guy like Eric is that he probably didn’t make the effort or thought to be anal retentive to keep the details.

Someone like Cornette is who you want for this excercise because not only he has a deep memory vault for all things but actually took daily production and booking notes and kept records of all minute details like the catering bill from Bob’s Chicken in Knoxville to the asshole exec for the local fox affiliate wanted a blowjob from Tammy to air the show to the dead hooker disposal in Shreveport. He has all the receipts for that shit.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I've yet to find a baseball podcast to really draw me in, surprisingly. Except Baseball By the Book but that's sporadic.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Apparently become an interviewer once again.
This is great BTW (if you are a nerd for the era).
- Sarge/Sheik were best buddies from being together in Kansas City in 1976 being jabronis together.
- Sarge says Sheik came to him a few days before MSG Jan 84 and told him about Verne offering him 100K to break Hogan's leg.
- Sheik carried a grudge against Hogan as post match in the locker room Hogan told Sheik "I owe you one" FFWD to WCW in 94 or whatever and Sheik calls Hogan to get a gig and Hulk never called him back. That led to the 2000s "Hollywood Blond Jabroni" stuff from the crack head Sheik.
- Eadie told the author that Vince Sr told him he didn't want Eadie to be the champ from Backlund to Hogan as it would hurt his heat. On the other hand, this author says Backlund picked the Sheik due to his legit background. I can see Vince Sr telling Eadie that as part of his ability to manipulate talent and keep them happy.
- Sheik apparently HATED the Col Mustafa gimmick as he hated the Iraqis.
Lots of other nuggets along the way. I'm only an hour in.