Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF: Hulkamania era (1984-`1992)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I remember watching Mike Bennett and Biff Busick talking on Twitter once about how Beefcake was basically a recreational nudist and would spend all the time before and after his match in the locker room butt naked.

I bet everyone wishes I would leave again for good after this post.

@BruiserBrody : no, more nude Ed Leslie stories please.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I go to salons and they have magazines and alcohol. Worth it. It's where I met this girl who thought Toronto was in Japan.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Every barber shop I have been to in the past ten years has had alcohol. I have only drank in one once though.

Idk why though. I am usually there on Saturdays and I don’t think they charge for the drinks.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Drinkin' with a buncha guys on a Saturday afternoon and getting your hair done? Kinda gay.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Barber shops offering alcohol just seems...odd.

Then again, I've been to a barber once in the last 10 years, so the fuck do I know

Valeyard

Reaction score
Barbershops sound annoying. I hate smalltalk and hate haircuts where I'm forced to have smalltalk.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
If you pull back a little you can see why Dibiase flopped as a Hogan opponent. Everything he did was basically the same thing a Heenan could have done. By the time the screw job finish went down, you could argue seeing Dibiase getting his due wasn't anything more than if a Heenan was in a tag match and you'd hope he'd get popped some good shots.
Dibiase was also likely hurt as a draw pre WM 4 as most of his big tag matches on top had him partnering with Virgil, so the faces were heavy favorites regardless. (They would put Andre in the corner at times to make it feel more even)

Case in point: Only a few weeks after The Main Event, Hogan/Duggan vs Virgil/Dibiase drew 4000 in Los Angeles! Pretty mid.

--
Joe LeDuc is also being reported to come in to the WWF after Mania 4. This is likely Meltz getting bad intel as LeDuc was probably contacted for his role in No Holds Barred that would have taped in June/July. That's not to say he wouldn't have been offered extra dates though.

Joe LeDuc as a Sloth like babyface screaming about his O Henry bars is $$$$

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

He says he and Herc put their team together and Vince never pushed them since he didn't create them. Herc and Roma started driving and training together despite being heel/face alignment opposites. Apparently after years of this he pitched "Power and Glory" to Patterson since he and Herc were both dead in the water.

LOL. "The Hart Foundation and Road Warriors said we were the best tag team ever!"
"Nobody could touch our abilities or popularity" LOLOLOL

On their lack of push:
"Losers are content, and I was never a loser"
Explains his Alex Wright incident a little more.

RF asks Roma about working with Shawn Michaels after HBK got a push and a big head. Gee Rob, good question for a guy who wasn't on the roster at the time!!!!

Roma claims he offered to pay to produce Power and Glory merch since Vince didn't want to waste the funds.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I wish that match was real. I think the Harts could've gotten something out of the Bolsheviks for five minutes at that show, easily.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe Boris would have had better luck teaming up with The Milkman again at WrestleMania VI.
One of these men would be feuding with a current World champ on national TV in a year.... One would never guess who.
---
Rare commentary teams.
Heard a Tito bit this weekend from one of his shoots. He didn't think the WWF was behind him as IC champ and expected to lose it quickly. He said Vince and the agents all left before his main event win was over. John McAdam pointed out Vinnie Mac never came to Boston to begin with, For whatever reason, it is true the WWF didn't tape much of his title win match. McAdam said they raised the lights and brought out a handheld camera before the Muraco/Tito match, so he knew something was afoot.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hart Foundation-Bolsheviks could've been a fun 5-8 minute match at WM6. I assume the point was to rebuild the team up after the 1989 version of the Harts as singles, and the squash worked for that. But, in January, the Bolsheviks had a good tv match with Demolition and, with time, a match vs the Harts would've been another star or so better.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Heard a Tito bit this weekend from one of his shoots. He didn't think the WWF was behind him as IC champ and expected to lose it quickly.
Mildly related anecdote but Bret Hart has a story in his book about going to see Vince McMahon in his office in '93/'94 between World Title runs and Vince joking about Bret being afraid that WWF was going to get rid of him like they got rid of the Warrior. Bret countered by saying he was afraid WWF was going to get rid of him like they got rid of Tito Santana.

(In retrospect, Bret's exit was really more like Warrior's...)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Listening to GFA Live covering late June 89 Superstars...
Barry Windham debuts as "The Widowmaker" Barry Windham.... and a section of the crowd goes very smarky and audibly chants "Barry! Barry!" over and over. Finkel announced him by name, so it isn't like they were mocking the gimmick change.

Should have slipped in Koko vs Windham at SSlam.

Wish Windham could have lasted to Mania. As we have said, he'd be a good, fresh opponent for UW.
Windham could also move into a Dusty feud instead of Rhodes/Savage dragging into October. Macho can move up to help Warrior for his first big feud.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Windham is such an obvious good opponent for Warrior to the point where Rick Rude just really feels like a substitute.
Rude/Dusty also works post Mania 6 if Macho gets the Warrior gig first. Something as simple as Dusty trolling Rude with "Sweet Sapphire sez I'm da sex-eeeeeeeeee-ist man alive, baby!" and Rude calls him a blob in return.

--

Tugboat is coming to Hornswoggle's annual local mega indy event. Should I go confront Uncle Fred about dropping in my DMs a few years ago?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Windham is such an obvious good opponent for Warrior to the point where Rick Rude just really feels like a substitute.
Counterpoint: I feel like Windham could easily have been one of those guys who doesn’t want to put up with the Warrior’s live rounds.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

This has a 1991 copyright, which means Ax (listed as Smash) was already gone, Beefer was AWOL, and Snuka was a JTTS. Maybe whoever produced this was a big fan of GCW and wanted Snuka, Jake and Masked Superstar to get paydays.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good news, folks. This episode discussed Vince and Roddy Piper verbally burying Bruce Prichard.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

WWF @ Providence, RI - Civic Center - June 26, 1984
Jose Luis Rivera fought Pete Doherty to a draw
B. Brian Blair defeated Tiger Chung Lee
Tony Garea defeated Fred Marzino
Salvatore Bellomo defeated George Steele via disqualification
Roddy Piper defeated Ivan Putski
Bob Backlund, Sgt. Slaughter, Chief Jay Strongbow, & Rocky Johnson defeated Mr. Fuji, the Iron Sheik, Bob Orton Jr., & Greg Valentine​

What a wildly random 8 man. One of Backlund's last matches too.