Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF: Hulkamania era (1984-`1992)

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
You can't fuck with WM5. That is squandering millions of dollars. Putting Warrior over Savage would kill the business a year faster.

The WWF wasn't the place for heels to be on top, anyway. Hennig did more to elevate the IC title than he ever would have with some shitty transitional main event title run.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wasn't it part of the Dream Team-Enforcers match at Survivor Series 1989?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
John McAdam played a really fun Albano promo at around the 32 min mark of this week's Stick to Wrestling pod.
Albano, still a heel, is teaming with Murdoch and Adonis vs Afa, Sika and IIRC Slaughter.

Albano goes off on the rest of the card, putting it over akin to the way Heenan would once he was broadcasting, simultaneously putting over the heels while hyping up the awesomeness of the line up all at once
What really tickled me about it though was Albano shouted out his former alliance with Hammer Valentine and then indicated he still had a financial interest in his former team the Moondogs.

I fucking love Albano.

Edit: Forgot to say Murdoch buried his partner, telling Lou "Stay on the apron because your more of a hindrance than a help" to which Albano clapped back at him

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I love that match. There's a part where Albano tags in, works about 15 seconds and runs over and tags back in an exhausted Murdoch. Murdoch's entire body language going "that wasn't helpful" but probably with a lot of expletives thrown in.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I got bored and asked ChatGPT about this.

How can you have the Red Rooster beat Hulk Hogan for the WWF title in the summer of 1989 and succeed?

ChatGPT said:​

To have the Red Rooster (Terry Taylor) beat Hulk Hogan for the WWF Championship in the summer of 1989 and succeed in making this a credible and memorable title run, you’d need a well-thought-out plan that includes character development, storytelling, and execution. Here’s a step-by-step approach to make this scenario work:

1. Repackage the Red Rooster

• Character Evolution: Transition the Red Rooster from a light-hearted, gimmick-based persona to a more serious and credible character. This could involve a more intense demeanor, a new look, or a redefined persona that emphasizes his wrestling skills and tenacity.
  • Serious Edge: Showcase his technical prowess and determination in matches. This could involve a series of compelling victories and high-profile feuds to build him up as a formidable competitor.

2. Build Up the Feud with Hulk Hogan

• High-Profile Feud: Start a high-profile storyline where the Red Rooster is presented as a genuine threat to Hogan. This could involve him winning a number one contender’s match or a major tournament, positioning him as the top contender for the title.
  • Storyline Development: Develop a compelling narrative where the Rooster and Hogan have a heated rivalry. This could involve personal attacks, intense promos, and perhaps even physical altercations to build tension.

3. Establish Credibility

• Strong Midcard Run: Have the Red Rooster win the Intercontinental Championship or another significant title to establish his credibility. A dominant run with this title would help build his reputation as a serious competitor.
  • Key Wins: Book him to have clean victories over other top stars to solidify his status as a top contender. These victories should be decisive and showcase his skill and determination.

4. Create a Memorable Title Match

• Build Anticipation: Use television and pay-per-view events to build anticipation for the match. Promos, interviews, and video packages should highlight the stakes and the Rooster’s journey to the title shot.
  • Match Structure: Ensure the match is well-structured to protect both competitors. Hogan’s loss should be credible, meaning the Rooster needs to win in a way that makes sense within the context of their rivalry. A well-executed match with dramatic near-falls and high spots can make the Rooster’s victory more believable.

5. Execute the Title Change

• Crowd Reaction: Ensure the crowd is invested in the match. This means effective storytelling leading up to the title change so that fans are emotionally involved.
  • Protect Hogan: Book the finish in a way that protects Hogan’s image. This could involve interference from a new or existing character that helps the Rooster secure the win, ensuring that Hogan remains strong despite the loss.

6. Post-Win Strategy

• Immediate Aftermath: After the title change, focus on building the Red Rooster as a strong champion. This means having him defend the title successfully in subsequent matches and continue to be a prominent figure in storylines.
  • Long-Term Planning: Develop long-term storylines that further establish the Rooster’s reign. This could involve high-profile feuds with other top stars or a strong ongoing rivalry with Hogan, depending on the desired direction.

7. Fan Engagement

• Media and Promotions: Utilize media appearances, interviews, and promotional materials to further cement the Red Rooster’s status as the champion.
  • Fan Interaction: Engage with fans through merchandise and storylines that resonate with the audience. Make sure that the character’s development keeps fans invested in his title reign.
In summary, transitioning the Red Rooster into a credible WWF Champion involves careful planning and execution, including rebranding the character, building a compelling feud with Hulk Hogan, establishing his credibility, and ensuring a well-executed title match. With the right approach, you can create a successful and memorable title run.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think they had some interaction in a SNME battle royal in the spring of 1991. But no heel turn on Hogan or a feud or anything. I assume it was a Hogan's manfeelings thing.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Reaction score
Bad News looks good with the belt. But then maybe two guys ever didn't look good with that belt (statement is not fair to Flair).

It's funny with Hogan and Typhoon, though. Like Hogan and Warrior vs the Disasters in summer of 91 is some dream Coliseum Exclusive stuff.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wonder why they decided to bring Sid in as a face before they knew Warrior was going to flake out over money and before they knew Flair was coming in? (Sid debuts a week or so after SuperBrawl and Flair quits/fired WCW July 1stish) Piper and Savage were on stand by waiting to come back (Piper was working house shows despite his TV injury angle) Bret/Bulldog were solid upper mid card guys. Even Bossman was still popular. Heel side was the waning Sarge, and then Jake and Taker.... Perfect was about to drop out via injury but I doubt that was known in June. Without Sid/Flair coming in the big new heel of the summer was....IRS. The Berzerker was newish but basically unpushed at a big level, probably because of his long history of being a flake. Off the top of my head I don't think I'm forgetting anyone.
Dibiase was still their but was sort of slumming it with El Matador and Virgil.
If Warrior vs Jake is penciled in for after Summerslam, was Savage just going to stay retired for now? I wonder what the first draft of that Survivor Series looks like? '
I get WWF may have realized Sid was getting face pops his entire WCW heel run, and WCW only capitalized for the Skyscrapers reunion, which wasn't really a face turn either way as Spivey as stayed heel after. Dusty came in and booking changed I guess.

If Sid comes in, plays it coy as the would be ref but ultimately does pose with Hogan at the end of Summerslam.... then they can do a rush job of Hogan/Sid being buddies to then break up to set up Sid beating Hogan at SSeries instead of Taker. Without Flair in the WWF, Sid can go on a tear up to the WM8 Hogan rematch....but then again Hogan was ready to step away and maybe read the tea leaves and decided to bow out before a real backlash went down against him? So the better option is Sid getting the transitional run, Flair still doing the fuck finish at This Tuesday in Texas and then you build to the same Rumble for the belt, but also the big tease of Hogan/Sid going at it within the match. I don't know if you can reheat Sid/Hogan for that long. Maybe after Tuesday in Texas it becomes a cold war and then at the Feb SNME Sid kills Beefcake instead of just wrecking the Barber Shop on Challenge and then Sid/Hogan 2 can be one of the Mania co main events.

Then again, Taker should be rewarded for getting over and the recent history of big WCW acts coming in (Road Warriors) was to make them chase for a while before putting the belts on them. So Sid may not have been considered for the hot shot spot in November.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wonder why they decided to bring Sid in as a face before they knew Warrior was going to flake out over money and before they knew Flair was coming in? (Sid debuts a week or so after SuperBrawl and Flair quits/fired WCW July 1stish) Piper and Savage were on stand by waiting to come back (Piper was working house shows despite his TV injury angle) Bret/Bulldog were solid upper mid card guys. Even Bossman was still popular. Heel side was the waning Sarge, and then Jake and Taker.... Perfect was about to drop out via injury but I doubt that was known in June. Without Sid/Flair coming in the big new heel of the summer was....IRS. The Berzerker was newish but basically unpushed at a big level, probably because of his long history of being a flake. Off the top of my head I don't think I'm forgetting anyone.
Dibiase was still their but was sort of slumming it with El Matador and Virgil.
If Warrior vs Jake is penciled in for after Summerslam, was Savage just going to stay retired for now? I wonder what the first draft of that Survivor Series looks like? '
I get WWF may have realized Sid was getting face pops his entire WCW heel run, and WCW only capitalized for the Skyscrapers reunion, which wasn't really a face turn either way as Spivey as stayed heel after. Dusty came in and booking changed I guess.

If Sid comes in, plays it coy as the would be ref but ultimately does pose with Hogan at the end of Summerslam.... then they can do a rush job of Hogan/Sid being buddies to then break up to set up Sid beating Hogan at SSeries instead of Taker. Without Flair in the WWF, Sid can go on a tear up to the WM8 Hogan rematch....but then again Hogan was ready to step away and maybe read the tea leaves and decided to bow out before a real backlash went down against him? So the better option is Sid getting the transitional run, Flair still doing the fuck finish at This Tuesday in Texas and then you build to the same Rumble for the belt, but also the big tease of Hogan/Sid going at it within the match. I don't know if you can reheat Sid/Hogan for that long. Maybe after Tuesday in Texas it becomes a cold war and then at the Feb SNME Sid kills Beefcake instead of just wrecking the Barber Shop on Challenge and then Sid/Hogan 2 can be one of the Mania co main events.

Then again, Taker should be rewarded for getting over and the recent history of big WCW acts coming in (Road Warriors) was to make them chase for a while before putting the belts on them. So Sid may not have been considered for the hot shot spot in November.
Now I've got myself wondering if that prior to Sid/Flair signing if the Tugboat spot on SNME was going to be the start of a Tugboat heel turn on Hogan. Hulk can spend the summer blowing off the Sarge angle while Tugger does a heel turn in July or whatever and they set them up for a house show run for Sept/Oct before Hogan focuses on Taker for SSeries?
Piper's comeback without Flair around can be the proper blowoff to the Dibiase stuff, but that would probably be pure B show main events and not get the A run that Flair/Piper did around the horn.
We can get Piper/Virgil/Tito vs Repo/IRS/Dibiase as the Tuesday in Texas blowoff I suppose.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It's wild how little of note Sid actually does in that run. Like at least a Sid/Slaughter program for a couple months until Sarge turns again would be pretty good. Not running Sid/Flair in WCW country is kind of a loss, too.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Neither of those guys worked Magee's style, though, and that was Magee's only novelty.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Neither of those guys worked Magee's style, though, and that was Magee's only novelty.
Still doesn't answer why they wouldn't give him a live run. If he was more talented at high spots, then he had a chance to get over.
If he doesn't, you have a guy to fill out the roster in more than dark matches and C shows.
Crockett going belly up didn't help in 88 as the WWF had a constant flow of new comers with more polish. Plus Owen, Bad News and the Rockers were signed from elsewhere.

Valeyard

Reaction score
If he's working a style no one else is while also being bigger than anyone else working that same style, and all his opponents are limited in their abilities as it is when it comes to styles clashing, and Magee botches things left and right, AND the guys he would be working with would not want to risk being hurt or being made to look bad, there is no point in trying.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wasn’t Sid injured for a few months before the Rumble too?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Still weird to me listening to pods from the summer of 88 building feuds they didn't bother to blow off at Summerslam, even if they were meaningless to house shows. Like why didn't they just run Patera vs Bravo? Patera does a clean job anyway and Bravo gets put over Muraco...so just put the match on PPV. JYD vs Bass could have been used to fuel the new Beefcake/Bass angle and give Bass a win to establish some cred before moving on to upper mid card face Beefcake.
I watched the Powers of Pain vs Commies match on Twitter this AM for the first time in a bit and good lord the fans were hot for the PoP. Barbarian was showing all kinds of babyface fire. I suppose the Demos were getting face pops as heels, and it all worked out in the end but it gave me a "what if" to ponder.
--
They show a King Kong Bundy match in late May on Prime Time, which amused me as Monsoon plays it off as if Heenan had been "hiding" Bundy for the past few months while he was off TV.

Last edited: