Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think it was the motorcycle accident in ‘92 and almost losing his right arm. After that he was justifiably cautious and did just enough to get by.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
They pissed away so much money by not using him well. I mean when someone debuts and starts carrying around Bret's severed head in a bag just to challenge him, and looks badass doing it, you at minimum let him hover around the IC title until the end.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't believe that they dragged Hakushi in with the Barry Horowitz-Skip feud. I mean that is some horribly underrated awful booking. Although the finish to the SummerSlam '95 match was cool.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
All booking aside. The position that Hakushi was in, being in a foreign country on national tv with a threadbare support system, that has to be terrifying.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Without checking the WONs - was this some sort of "young boy" training thing where he goes to the US for a year to develop and somehow Vince spotted him? Given the booking, it makes sense that Bret saw some tapes and pitched for him.
--
In case y'all didn't read the comments the "Mr Saito" he mentions is a typo. It is Akio Sato in each case.

Valeyard

Reaction score
For two guys who never clicked Bret and Flair were awesome together. Now that should've been the Rumble main event.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. Hindsight being 20/20. Hart Vs Flair: Title Vs Career should've been the World Title match at Rumble. My only guess as to why it wasn't was they probably didn't want to overshadow the Rumble matchz?

Valeyard

Reaction score
The Rumble had only two functions, though: get Gonzalez over and get Yokozuna over. I don't know if both of those get impeded by Flair/Bret on top.

I would still book the Flair/Perfect match on Raw, but the stakes being if Flair won the title he'd have literally everything to lose. Since he would lose to Bret anyway it wouldn't matter but another layer of intrigue would work and since Flair had been the top heel for the last year and in a hot feud with Perfect, it wasn't impossible that he could win.

It's fucking weird that Scott Hall was never in a Rumble, too. He could've been final four that year.

TheSSNintendo

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Valeyard

Reaction score
Gonzalez was actually brought in to be the Yeti but had a diabetic issue during the show, so WCW panicked and put the mummy suit on Reese. We got robbed of a potential Gonzalez, Giant, Loch Ness Dungeon of Meat.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Gonzalez was actually brought in to be the Yeti but had a diabetic issue during the show, so WCW panicked and put the mummy suit on Reese. We got robbed of a potential Gonzalez, Giant, Loch Ness Dungeon of Meat.
Reese was going to be in there too. IIRC, doing his Super Giant Ninja gimmick so they could bill World War 3 as "A GIANT IN EVERY RING!" (Yeti, Reese, and Paul Wight).

El Gigante did do tours of NJPW and WAR in '94-'95. NASH probably counts his blessings that as bad as SID and Mabel were, he never had to try and carry big Jorge.

Looking at Gonzalez's Cagematch, it looks like he had a Memphis run after SummerSlam '93. I want to see Lawler Vs Giant Gonzalez maybe even more than Hulk Hogan Vs Giant Gonzalez. I feel like if anyone could make Giant Gonzalez look good, it's King.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My lucky day.

And yes, Lawler selling Giant Gonzalez's piddly offense is just as good as it played in my head.

Edit- If you ever want to see Giant Gonzalez take a fireball to the face this is the match for you. He sells it as comically bad as he does anything else.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Reaction score
Man whoever told him to sell anything should be ashamed of themselves. Dude's near 8 feet legit and has limited mobility as it is, he shouldn't sell anything short of a shotgun to the nuts.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Was Dibiase full-on religious yet in 1995?

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I think it's just a lot of smoke that wrestlers perpetuate to amuse themselves. I don't buy into any of the Savage/Stephanie stuff.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It's not real. Frankly I don't think anyone even thought about it until a random post in the sleaze thread happened.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A lot of it can be blamed on stupid loud mouthed Lanny not shutting it down during that era when he would not stop doing shoot interviews.

When his own brother says “Well I never asked him so I don’t know.” then it allows the sleaze merchants to keep yapping.