Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I love that show so much. It's about as perfect as a show from that era could be.

Just realized I think I'm weird about rematches. Like thinking about it I like the KOTR Bret/Perfect match a little more than Summerslam, same with Bret/Bulldog at IYH and the second Razor/Shawn ladder match.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
OVP posted a rare New Generation era episode of Spotlight.

Look at how out of date those credits are! Tito Santana! '90/'91 Hogan (and Bret Hart in his Hart Foundation gear)! Bobby Heenan managing!

There is something about Gorilla Monsoon in the control room that just screams "Filler content".

Valeyard

Reaction score
I miss the control room. Nothing gives me more fond childhood memories than any of that era's broadcasters sitting in the control room running things down. I liked to think that when Todd started and he did Mania or something from his awkward back production office set that it was because he wasn't allowed into the real control room so he had to do it outside like an intern doofus.

Valeyard

Reaction score
And you know that Mooney would've taken the fall which is why he coincidentally left as Todd came on.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What was the last onscreen reference to Hulk Hogan after he left in '93, @BruiserBrody ? Was it Randy Savage bitching about him on Radio WWF around the time of that episode of Spotlight I just posted. It seems like in '94, they went out of their way to not mention Hogan unless it was to take a potshot.

Hell, that persisted for years. I remember when they aired that Best of Survivor Series special (ironically to go against a Hulk Hogan TV movie on TNT) in '97/'98, it was a huge, huge deal that WWF was airing Hogan stuff without them shitting on it.

Valeyard

Reaction score
When was the Radio WWF thing? I remember Savage burying him out of nowhere on Raw and blaming him for corrupting Crush.

Best Of Summerslam is when I remember hearing him on TV again for the first time in years, same for Savage. Outside of that I know he came up in the magazine several times when it came to retrospectives, and usually all of them had a Rogain joke.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When was the Radio WWF thing? I remember Savage burying him out of nowhere on Raw and blaming him for corrupting Crush.
It was late October/early November of '93. I'm pretty sure.

I know WWF moved on super quick from Hogan. If they didn't know that he was never coming back, it definitely seemed like they were aware it was a good possibility.

Fake edit- it was the October 18th, 1993 episode of RAW that Savage groused about how he didn't want his friendship with Crush to end like his friendship with Hogan had. WWF TV definitely promoted Mr. Nanny when it came out in Fall of '93. I think there were some faint hopes that there'd be a reconciliation in late '93/early '94 but Hogan testifying in a federal trial against VKM probably threw a wrench in that!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
What was the last onscreen reference to Hulk Hogan after he left in '93, @BruiserBrody ? Was it Randy Savage bitching about him on Radio WWF around the time of that episode of Spotlight I just posted. It seems like in '94, they went out of their way to not mention Hogan unless it was to take a potshot.

Hell, that persisted for years. I remember when they aired that Best of Survivor Series special (ironically to go against a Hulk Hogan TV movie on TNT) in '97/'98, it was a huge, huge deal that WWF was airing Hogan stuff without them shitting on it.
I don't know if they ever stopped, including pot shots. Yoko got the hard push up to WM 10, so the magazine mentioned him murdering Hogan quite a bit (including using a Hogan photo shoot that must have been outtakes or something as Hogan was posing as if he was terrified.)
We talked about a New Generation commercial a few months ago that aired in late 93 with Hogan and Andre being presented as if they were from the Gotch era.
RAW magazine (AKA Vic Venon aka Russo) did a top 10 WWF World champs ever list in like late 96/early 97 and listed Hogan as like 6 or 7, with Russo writing to "go cry to ya mothers" if you think this is an intentional burial because he's in WCW.
--
WWF magazine in early 1993 had a blurb about "Send in your letters telling us who the hottest wrestler in WWF is" and mentioned the ladies in the office voted for Hogan and Beefcake. A month or 2 later, they did the follow up (after KOTR) and they admitted surprise that Shawn and Bret won the fan poll. It was a subtle move from the bygone era.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Listening to the Foley pod on IYH: Buried Alive and Idc how many times Foley retells it, the story of the PPV ending with Undertaker being buried alive then the live crowd immediately having that followed up with the New Rockers dopily bopping for a dark match with The Godwinns.

Valeyard

Reaction score
What's the story of bowlcut? I remember him at all kinds of WWF shows (specifically Wrestlemania 9) and I've never seen him brought up anywhere, not that I would know how to search for him in the first place but still.

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
WWE.com did a countdown list of best super fans ever (Vladimir was #1 obviously) and he was on it. That's all I remember him from.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There was definitely an interview with boldcut kid on some website in the past decade. His explanation of how he was at so many shows is that 1. His parents and 2. he lived in the Midwest so it wasn't especially difficult to get anywhere in the country and PPVs were less spread out in the mid '90s when he was attending shows.

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I can only count 2 superfans that have actually posted on the board. I'll let you discover who those 2 were.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It's Real To Me Guy and probably some indie goof (who isn't a pedo).