Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
My first house show was Jan 95 w/ Diesel vs Backlund, Owen vs.... Doink?, Heavenly Bodies/Wackers.... Adam Bomb vs Kwang?

Ok Looking it up....
WWF @ Green Bay, WI - Brown County Arena - January 7, 1995 (6,000)
The Bushwhackers defeated the Heavenly Bodies
Hakushi defeated the 1-2-3 Kid
King Kong Bundy defeated Adam Bomb
WWF World Champion Diesel defeated Bob Backlund (w/ Shawn Michaels)
Doink the Clown defeated Kwang
Davey Boy Smith defeated Owen Hart
The Undertaker defeated IRS; after the bout, the Undertaker was attacked by King Kong Bundy

--
We definitely saw ads for a Bret/Kid vs Shawn and Owen as Todd plugged it as a chance to see Bret vs Owen before Mania.
Oshkosh is less than an hour away from Green Bay. Wanted to go badly.

WWF @ Oshkosh, WI - Kolf Sports Center - February 25, 1994 (2,300)
Sparky Plugg defeated Rick Martel
Diesel defeated Virgil (sub. for Marty Jannetty)
WWF Women's Champion Alundra Blayze defeated Heidi Lee Morgan
Mabel defeated Samu; the bout was originally scheduled as Men on a Mission vs. the Headshrinkers but was changed after Fatu was injured the night before
Bastion Booger defeated Tom Stone
Doink the Clown defeated Bam Bam Bigelow
Bret Hart & the 1-2-3 Kid defeated Owen Hart & Shawn Michaels

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Because Diana was lying and Bulldog raged his way into a title match. But yeah that setup should at least end with a Bulldog face turn because Jezebel woman reasons.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Russo put this on the WWF mag cover with the headline "Sunny once so true... I slopped you!" I just learned this year that was based on a song lyric....
--
This segment got a lot of replays by me and my neighbor in 96.... and we don't even have Vince's women in goo fetish.
Actually that was probably taped in Wisconsin the night after the marathon RAW I was at.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's from La Crosse WI. One of several shows I wanted to go to as a kid but didn't. I still got to go to a few but still.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah that angle was taped on 6/25/96 in La Crosse and aired on the 6/29/96 Superstars.

Two nights later on Raw (taped 6/24 in Green Bay) featured them teasing a lesbian angle between Sable and Marlena that was immediately dropped and never mentioned again.

Interesting on that show they had Goldust go over Mero and then he goes over again a month later at Summerslam. Mero was jobbing quite often then losing to Austin multiple times on tv as well. His ic title win was basically just to transition it to Hunter as well.

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I think KOTR '96 was Mero's first loss in WWE. Pretty sure he was undefeated going into that show.

Wasn't the slop that Sunny took trainted with locker room jizz and such? I think someone confirmed in their shoot interview around that time.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Do we have any idea if Mongo talked to the WWF about wrestling? Since he showed up with LT at Mania, and wound up on Nitro a few months later in the booth, it would seem he would have told Vince he wanted to break in?
It's not like Vince didn't throw out a ton of things on RAW in 97 to see what would stick.
Vince would have probably gimmicked him up too much and made him come down in pads and eyeliner or something.
He would have made an awesome 33 time hardcore champ.
Oh course Austin might have fallen in love with him since they shared Texas and football and Mongo may have ended up as a made man.

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I forgot who's shoot it was but someone from WCW had a story where Mongo warned Austin about Debra (how she was a gold digger etc) but Steve went ahead and married her anyway. It looks they had contact at that time.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Observer 7/31/95:
We've got a lot of major show news and line-ups. For SummerSlam on 8/27 in Pittsburgh, the top two matches scheduled are Diesel vs. Mabel for the WWF title and Michaels vs. Sid for the IC title. Rumor has it that there is going to be a match they'll attempt to use to get the media attention for this show with Owen Hart & Yokozuna vs. Steve McMichael & William "Refrigerator" Perry of the 1985 Chicago Bears Super Bowl winning team. It's well known both Perry and McMichael (who was in Lawrence Taylor's corner and did a great angle in Stockton, CA earlier this year with Kama) want to be pro wrestlers and that Perry is available now since his football career is over, but last I heard, McMichael was still with the Green Bay Packers and that shot would be right before the season started so there's no way the Packers would let him do it if he has a prayer of making the team.

8/7/95:
The latest idea, subject to change, is that the Monday Night show will have Eric Bischoff & Bobby Heenan and possibly a third person doing the announcing which may be Steve McMichael, the former NFL football player who the WWF was considering using at recently as a few days ago. McMichael signed with WCW on 7/31 and will start out as an announcer, but will be going to the WCW school and the idea is that he'll wind up being a wrestler. He was to be introduced to the wrestlers at the Disney tapings. If you recall, McMichael shows a lot of fire as he did great in his angle earlier this year on Raw with Kama, but almost has to be a heel because he's got real cocky mannerisms.
The situation with William Perry and Steve McMichael is this. There was consideration given to making them a tag team figuring it would get notoriety and press, but they weren't going to work the Owen & Yokozuna on SummerSlam. The idea was possibly to debut them against the Heavenly Bodies, since the Bodies aren't being booked and all four could go to the gym and put together a passable match since Bodies are such good workers. Talks broke down because Perry wanted a guaranteed contract and WWF wasn't willing to change its steadfast policy against guaranteed contracts, particularly for someone who has no proven ability to be marketable in this environment or be able to work, not to mention he had a weight problem his entire football career with a million dollar contract so how would he handle his weight for 20% of the money in pro wrestling, particularly since Perry had made it clear he didn't want to go on the road and only wanted to do big shows. McMichael, whose NFL career is over (Packers released him), was willing to do whatever WWF wanted to get in pro wrestling but wound up with WCW since they came up with a plan to use him faster.

Valeyard

Reaction score
PCO is another guy I think the WWF fucked up. Bret went above and beyond to help him, like Hakushi, and he could've had a place for a few years. Phase the pirate shit down, evolve him into just psycho eyepatch suicide machine, you have a solid workhorse with a fun look for the next four or five years.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
His run would've went a lot better if he didn't run afoul of The Clique. It's too bad that people never realized how truly special of a wrestler Carl Ouellet was until he was in his fifties. Better late than never but we missed out on years if not decades of great PCO performances.

But then again, part of the hungry years for him was mentoring El Generico and Kevin Steen on the Montreal Indies so if he had caught on somewhere in the '90s/'00s, it may have triggered some crazy alternate reality!

Valeyard

Reaction score
We never got PCO/Foley in 1996. That could be worth the sacrifice.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damn I didn't know they tested out the HBK/Macho Man IC Title feud that Macho Man wanted to do.

Tbh, HBK/Macho Man could've been a great semi-main event for WrestleMania IX.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Literally the only other way to use Savage. It would've made Shawn a year early, passed a torch, stolen the show, and made the IC title look like the huge workrate title it always was. Besides, Macho King and Queen reuiniting as faces? Money.

Either make Bigelow/Tatanka happen or feed Tatanka a Papa Shango or something.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Makes you wonder where Tatanka was penciled in for the 1st draft of WM from the Falll:

Taker vs Nailz
Kamala vs Giant Gonzalez
Marty vs Shawn
Hell...Yoko was a Samoan with Fatu and Samu in his dark run. Who knows where they had Bret?
Flair was probably figured in somewhere yet.
Before Hogan confirmed he'd appear you would think Nasties vs Money Inc was the direction
etc

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mr. Perfect probably factored in big. I'm imagining him Vs Flair was penciled in for WrestleMania IX at some point before they decided to expedite it when they let Ric Flair out of his contract 7 months early to go back to WCW. Along the same lines, maybe they could have strung along Razor Ramon Vs Macho Man to that point?
Before Hogan confirmed he'd appear you would think Nasties vs Money Inc was the direction
etc
It was explicitly stated that Nasty Boys gave up their tag team titles shot to the Mega Maniacs, in storyline.

I wonder how last minute Hulk Hogan's comeback in '93 came along. I was listening to John Arezzi's podcast today which was recapping his 1992 Year in Review radio show with Dave Meltzer. They gave their predictions for 1993 and both seemed very unsure that Hulk Hogan would be back at all that year. IIRC, Hogan's participation on WrestleMania IX was more Caesar's Palace's idea than WWF's. Hulk Hogan's 1993 WWF run just seemed like something everyone (except probably the big wigs at Caesar's) regretted almost immediately all around.

WWF was almost twenty five years away from mastering the concept of a special guest star being the World Champion. It was just odd vibes around. Like somebody staying in the guest room of their own house.

I genuinely think Vince was too worried about the idea of being indicted or convicted by the feds to have concrete, serious long term plans for WrestleMania VIII through XI.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I could see Tatanka/Martel again just because they were feuding a lot anyway it feels like. Would be solid, get more time than the previous year, and Martel wouldn't be hurt losing. It would make sense that Tatanka would be where the Nailz experiment ended once the Taker series underperforms.

When did they know Gonzalez was coming in? Was it a plan all along or a semi-panic move after Nailz fell apart?

I really wish they just let the Mega Maniacs win the tag titles in dominant fashion instead. Make good all around, and when Hogan didn't want to job he could get swapped with someone else. Keeping the Nasties off the show is just a happy bonus.

Even if you kept Bret/Yoko, then add Shawn/Savage and the Flair/Hennig career match, it's a classic show.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Shawn and Marty were supposed to wrestle again at Mania 9 but of course Marty was fired for being found passed out backstage at the tv tapings the day after rumble 93