Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

I remember Vince's spiel very well from the Sat after SSeries announcing Bob Backlund had regained the belt (complete w/ a montage of clips from the old Backlund stuff/Psycho Bob. For whatever reason I was a huge Backlund fan at the time.
Diesel's win was shown on Superstars the following week. I do not recall if I was pumped, pissed or whatever

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

SKeith claimed this was supposed to be called "The Thing that should not be."

@MrBlack252

2 years ago
So here's the story, the documentary was finished and there was alot of footage he had. When he started selling copies on his website he was met with multiple lawsuits from the wwf and from individual talent featured in the video. He had to pull it. I have seen the documentary and I can say this,there is no "damning evidence" in the documentary at all. In fact the clip of Kevin Nash holding the pill bottles is literally the only "controversial" clip in the entire thing. The rest is just random cuts of different guys and scenarios in hotel rooms like saying "hi" and stuff just random stuff. No prostitutes like it was rumored, and no drug activity was caught believe it or not the guys weren't that stupid. Theres alot of footage of Maxx recording himself and just talking about the business. It's quite boring actually.

@MrBlack252

1 year ago (edited)
@kermv.7830 idk I just know a long time ago he was selling copies on that website and I happened to buy it and watch it but this was years ago so no I don't have it as it was on my old computer. Like I said you're really not it missing anything it's kinda boring. It's mainly them on the bus going to different places but it's not any major shows it's a small tour. You don't see anything crazy or any controversial footage at all other than Nash holding the pills seen in the trailer. There is one other part where they show Nash, Windham, Rikishi (who wasn't Rikishi at that time) and Yokozuna at a random hotel bar and Nash seems pretty drunk. And you see him put his hand up to his mouth at the bar seemingly popping pills while drinking. It shows you a little bit of how it looked when you hear the stories Nash tells. But other than that there's really nothing interesting. It's not a proper documentary as it's all over the place with random cuts and random videos. A huge part of it is just him recording himself and one part is where he sits in his hotel room for like 25 minutes complaining to the camera about Shawn Michaels.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I always figured it would be a really poorly produced just road doc where everything remotely controversial was just accidental. The trailer made it look like kind of annoying that way.

Useless Moron Scott Keith is the worst. ALLEGEDLY.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
61Ju8D4MlBL.jpg

Sega Genesis version
This week marks the anniversary of the Genesis' version of the Royal Rumble (SNES beat them by several weeks) in 1993.

Much like the SNES' the roster turn over and gimmick changes hit the game hard.
Luger is front and center in his old gimmick as he's headlining Summerslam draped in 'Merica colors.
Hogan is all but gone (and absent from US TV totally since late June).
Crush is out "injured" and will be back with a new gimmick soon.
Duggan's last appearance is litterally days after this game was released.
Rick Martel IMO is a little bit of an odd choice to add in as his 1992 was not exactly stellar and the guy he feuded with, Tatanka, makes way more sense to have on here.
Shango leaves in early August and only makes a handful of appearances in Oct to lose to Backlund on house shows before being sent away for a repackage.

This cover art is "fine", but actually a vast improvement over the slap dash looking SNES cover that has Bret and Shawn out of proportion to the other guys and Mr Perfect with weird photoshop hands holding a chair.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The SNES version is one of my all time favorite games based solely on sentimental value. One of the few things my brothers and I loved doing all together was playing Royal Rumble, on the condition no one play as Mr. Perfect because they despised him. Took me years to track down a copy, somehow.

The SNES soundchip versions of the themes is so wonderful. It's still the version of Flair's WWF theme I hear in my head.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel like the SNES version came out a few months before the Genesis one. There were magazine ads for the SNES version for a while before they even mentioned a Genesis version. Also, the roster is quite a bit different.

This is one of the 3 games we bought when we bought our Genesis (it came with Sonic 2 and we also bought Cyborg Justice). I played it quite a bit, it was much better with the 6-button controller, there were too many moves where you'd have to hit multiple buttons at once if you were using the standard controller. Every once in a while I'd try to "speedrun" (I guess, it wasn't really a thing I knew of back then) the Rumble match, but I'd get 5 or 6 guys in and mess up (I think you could irish whip guys and then hiptoss them out).

Our copy disappeared somewhere over the years, but I found a copy at Goodwill a few years back that had a few Italian lira stuck behind the manual for some reason.

Sex Machine Gun

Kotzenjunge
Reaction score
The state of the SNES lineup. I had that game as a kid and played the fuck out of it since I was a kid mark, but I guess there was a reason I was always Bret.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If you want a confusing roster, check out who is on the Royal Rumble pinball machine.

The original backglass featured more than 18 different wrestlers but by the time the game was scheduled to go into production, many of the featured wrestlers had left the WWF. The backglass was revised and the production version backglass featured only six wrestlers.
Hogan made the cut only weeks before showing up on WCW TV.
====

We actually had the 2000 version in a skate park/arcade that was open for a brief time in Green Bay. Supposedly the place shut down quickly thanks to too many unruly teenagers.
Somebody lost their ass on that major remodel.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Isn't it well known he relapsed during the Lawler feud? Which is one of the grosser feuds they've done, all told.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bret said it was the South African tour in September ‘96 when he noticed Jake fell off the wagon hard but Hitman was also not around for a lot of ‘96 so it may have been triggered by the Lawler feud.

Valeyard

Reaction score
What did he do after the Lawler feud? I just remember a match after Summerslam where he pretended to be drunk to trick Lawler, and then I can't think of anything until Survivor Series.

What was the show he no showed his match with Mankind at?

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
He competed in the '97 Rumble and then put over the Sultan (Rikishi) in his debut. I think that was his last appearance in this run.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
His last match was against Salvatore Sincere on one of the first episodes of Shotgun.

I feel like if his head was on straight, Jake could have been a great asset during the Attitude Era.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pardon the pun, but Jake being the Devil's Advocate in the Taker/Kane feud works in my head.

Of course a role in the Ministry of Darkness would be a natural. Jake "created" Austin at KOTR 96 and now he has to destroy him (as a manager of X)

But Russo is booking, so we'd get the snake stolen by Val Venis for a sex vignette.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I loved the idea of the Ministry as a faction (none of that Corporate Ministry bullshit, awesome theme remixes notwithstanding) and Trust Me Jake as the Higher Power appeals to me greatly. Ties to Austin and Taker with all kinds of kayfabe reasons to hate Vince. Just let him and Foley cut promos on each other (and you know Foley'd be down to take a cobra bite).

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Downside…drunk Jake would definitely get the Naked Mideon gimmick if he stuck around till ‘00.

On the other hand, the mental image of Jake The Snake preening around in a jockstrap is needlessly amusing.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He'd have been relegated to the hardcore division. Jake as Crash's mentor would've been fun.

Otherwise he jumps and we get Jake/Goldberg.