Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Everyone who would've made the best sense was either in WCW (Bret) or dead (Pillman, Owen). Jake or Shawn would've made the most sense of the living and definitely would've led to better things.

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Vince actually mentioned that rumor on RAW the same night he revealed himself to be the Higher Power IIRC

I remember Coach saying it might be Rod McMahon which made me groan thinking another McMahon will be added to the show.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Your main event of the Sept IYH if such a thing existed in 1992.

I was quite pumped reading about this match in Inside Wrestling or the Wrestler back in the day. I believe the same magazine revealed Bret Hart was now getting shots at Ric Flair title and I WAS PUMPED.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The roster was depleted as it gets but 1992 might be one of my favorites. Everyone had a role and seemed to work extra hard to make up for the state of the business. Was it always good? Absolutely not. But those shows are super easy to watch for me even compared to a year earlier when it was a hotter product with a better roster. Benchmark for any PG product.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The roster was depleted as it gets but 1992 might be one of my favorites. Everyone had a role and seemed to work extra hard to make up for the state of the business. Was it always good? Absolutely not. But those shows are super easy to watch for me even compared to a year earlier when it was a hotter product with a better roster. Benchmark for any PG product.
Hell yes. 1992 was probably the peak of my fandom when I was growing up. Some very memorable angles with the Barber Shop, the Savage-Flair feud (I watched their WM8 match more times than I can count), and Bossman/Nailz. Plus Flair’s Rumble win, the SummerSlam at Wembley, and Bret winning his first world title. Add in some big debuts with Razor and Doink, and Mr Perfect’s return to action, and it was a really fun year.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

With Superstars leaving syndication in September, this became perhaps my favorite angle that I never actually saw unfold in real time (disregarding historical stuff). I was desperately trying to keep up by reading the Apters, WWF and RAW magazines, but it would be Wrestlemania season before I actually saw the Sultan wrestle. So I was probably the last (only?) Sultan mark. (And with limited internet at the time I didn't know it was Fatu).

I loved all the Psycho Bob stuff and teaming him with Sheik to train a super athlete seemed great in my head, given their history.

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Fun fact: the Quebecers winning the tag belts was the very first TV title change I ever saw and since they won by DQ, I wondered why all title matches after that ended in DQ didn't change the titleholder. I guess I chose to ignore that their match had special rules.

Valeyard

Reaction score
The Quebecers win was some of Heenan's last great work, too. I'll never stop saying Heenan was only hitting his stride before he left.

I love that match. It killed the Steiners off, kinda, as it turns out, but it made me realize the Quebecers were a legit great team and PCO could do some cool stuff.

Related: Raw Prime Cuts is one of the best home videos they ever put out.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Is it surprising Capt Lou never did an ECW shot? Early ECW had WWWF vibes with the roster and Heyman adored Lou's work.
Mildly but I also feel like Captain Lou was kind of like Bruno in terms of complaining about wrestling turning into smut. Only time it makes sense is in the Eastern years and listening to his appearances on John Arezzi's show during that era, he was angling really hard to get back into WWF during that period (and it somehow worked).

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I only knew Capt. Lou as Headshrinkers' manager, Mario, and he played a villain wrestler on an episode of the classic Nickelodeon sitcom, Hey Dude!

Valeyard

Reaction score
Lou did Heroes Of Wrestling so I don't think he had any real standards beyond a payday. I've also heard he was a genuinely annoying guy and had a tendency to be out for himself, so maybe that's why. Early ECW would've been perfect for him, though. I can see him managing Dreamer as part of the initial suspenders-era babyface push.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The only thing I care to remember about Captain Lou is that he had a routine go to joke that he insisted on repeating incessantly and it goes like this (and feel free to steal it, @King of Summer Kamala, he’s dead)

“I like that Dick Van Dyke but I’m glad he changed his name from Penis Van Lesbian”

Would constantly find a way to bring this joke up in booking meetings and the boys in the locker room.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Toru Tanaka on Wild and Crazy Kids blew my mind. I don't know why. Maybe because I was literally the only kid who knew who Toru Tanaka was.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Is it surprising Capt Lou never did an ECW shot? Early ECW had WWWF vibes with the roster and Heyman adored Lou's work.

Any "why didn't X work ECW" question can usually be answered by pointing to ECW's roughly $12 per show budget.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Maybe he was physically hurt since I don’t see any matches on his Cagematch past April ‘93 until him and Enos reunited on the indie circuit in ‘94.

I doubt there were any hard feelings since they went back to teaming once Enos’ WWF run was done. I am guessing if Wayne Bloom wasn’t hurt, he was burnt out on the business like so many WWF guys were in ‘92-‘94 and happy to see his tag team partner keep getting checks.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Del Ray's behavior outside the ring ruins him for me but yeah he made the team. It's too bad the Prichard-Lane version didn't get the WWF gig instead.

Prichard bores me to tears but man the Bodies and Bodydonnas were fun for what they were. I despised the Bodies as a kid and the Bodydonnas had no business being good in that division.