Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not sure if my timelines are straight but I think this was the time where Road Dogg thought he was going to go to WCW with Jeff Jarrett but it turned out WCW didn't have the room.

That whole "Real Double J" storyline seems like it was created out of spite not because it was well thought out on any level. Why bring up an abandoned storyline from over a year before?

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Jarrett came back in early 96 for the Ahmed feud and then vanished again. I think there was contract issues that led to both times of inactivity. I don't think Road Dogg showed up again until way later, long enough for me to forget all about him.

I just don't get it and never have. If it was to finish any storyline, it was pointless. If it was to bury Jarrett, why did Road Dogg get any kind of push, because he was on TV a lot before spring 97? If it was to get Road Dogg over as a face, why make it based on something that people hated?

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It didn't make any damn sense. We were supposed to think country music was weird and annoying from '93 to '95 and now it's cool cause the annoying and weird guy's lackey was all behind it? There's no sense in unraveling WWF's thought process because there was none besides "Screw Jeff Jarrett. We'll show that jerk."

Valeyard

Reaction score
And then Rockabilly was supposed to be a heel.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
The break up and feud was supposed to happen July 1995 at the In Your House PPV but Jarrett and Roadie both walked out of the building before they shot the breakup angle.

Not sure why it mattered after that night TBH

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
They did an angle week before the Rockabilly reveal where Billy Gunn was a hired gun for Honky and they wound up having a spat. I imagine they had someone else lined up for the role (Disco Inferno?) before having to backtrack to Billym

Valeyard

Reaction score
Hayes and Pettengill put him over a lot befoe he debuted on Action Zone, I remember, especially Hayes. "He is as BIG AS A HOOUSEEE!!" still sticks with me.

I remember I didn't expect him to debut as a straight top guy right away but showing up and slamming Yokozuna pretty effortlessly is one of the best debuts they'd ever done for a brand new guy.

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Ahmed was primed to be a top guy. Too bad the injuries kept mounting up. Even if he stayed healthy, from the shoots I've seen, he had a big primadonna attitude so he probably would have been squeezed out regardless. It was hard to circumvent that behavior back then.

Valeyard

Reaction score
When he debuted I just didn't think he was set to be a top guy based on the vignettes. I think that's equal parts not trusting the WWF pushing minorities and over a year of New Generation gimmicks making everyone shit before they showed up.

I was psyched when he finally showed up. He was awesome. What's weird is that he spent over half his career tethered to Faarooq even when both guys weren't on TV.

Valeyard

Reaction score
One of the oft-forgotten moments of change is when, on Raw, Cactus and Chainsaw chased the Outlaws out of the building and they were in the parking lot. Michael Cole is running to the car trying to get a word with them and they goof on him with Road Dogg yelling "YOU LOOK LIKE PETTENGIL!" in a mocking tone. Then Chainsaw attacks the car and sparks everywhere and they speed off. One of Todd's best moments doesn't even involve him.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Where he defended against literally everyone all the time in a bunch of good-great matches that didn't need to exist. It was more about the matches than any kind of prestige because the roster wasn't that roster. It's the kind of reign that would be huge now, too.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Alternative universe is it Warrior vs Yoko at 9?
Where he defended against literally everyone all the time in a bunch of good-great matches that didn't need to exist. It was more about the matches than any kind of prestige because the roster wasn't that roster. It's the kind of reign that would be huge now, too.

Are you thinking his second run where he worked face Backlund, Kid, Virgil?

What were his first run TV matches? SNME vs Shango, Shawn at SSeries, Razor at Rumble....

Fake edit - He works Martel and Shango a bunch in Nov before givibg Flair rematches. I wonder if those other matches were already announced and turned into title matches?

Dec is all Flair minus a TV dark match w/ Razor

Jan is all Flair. Razor at Rumble, rando match w/ Owen vs Money Inc, TV dark match vs Bigelow and closes the month with Yoko

Feb is Flair, Bigelow and a blend of Luger at the end. And a rando vs Martel.

March is rando dark TV w/ Fatu, a few Bigelow shots and everything else is Perfect and Bret vs Razor and Luger and one Yoko match

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bret’s first World Title run was the precursor to the midcard World Champion of the ‘00s/2010s. First four months of his title run, he was taking a backseat to Flair, Macho Man and Mr. Perfect and last month or two, to Hogan, Money Inc and Yokozuna.

The ads for WrestleMania IX were THE RETURN OF HULK HOGAN (and also Bret Hart defends the World Title against the undefeated 500 pound Yokozuna)

Valeyard

Reaction score
I never really saw it that way. He was the most defending champion after years of there just not being much in the way of minor defenses. Savage, Flair, and Perfect never had main event singles matches during that time. By this logic the audible to Hogan is a good idea. And nah he was NEVER behind Money Inc in any scenario, that's silly.

The roster wasn't strong enough for the kind of run he was intended to have. In 1994 it was a lot more catered to his strengths, but by then he was a bigger star so it didn't hit the same.