Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

WWF New Generation Thread III

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
What’s amusing is that MOM also worked a show later that day in Baltimore but no one else did so I gotta believe this had to be a rib making Mabel haul his ass 5 hours to make the Baltimore show.

They also worked a double shot the next day in Connecticut and Hershey, PA. That poor rental car took a beating that weekend.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Western MA to Baltimore is more like 6 hours. I assume or at least hope MOM hopped on a plane from Hartford or Albany to BWI.

Even then, I'm assuming they stuck Mabel in coach.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At least they got the same audience they got in 93 to attend.

Edit: for whatever reason I scrolled thru this and landed when Barry bitched and moaned about being ignored by the unnamed but clearly referring to Braun Strowman.

No one wants to shake Mr Hughes hand in the locker room, well pal maybe they don’t know if you are awake or not.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
There was an EWR diary someone had 20 years ago where heel Doink, Berzerker, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, and ICP took over 1997 WWF. They were managed by "Ringmaster" Jim Neidhart.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
As I've said before the Superstars after WM 9 depressed the hell out of me as it seemed most of the heels won. (I even assumed Tatanka lost as Shawn kept the belt IIRC). Taker didn't win clean and was laid out. Money Ince escaped with the belts. Perfect lost to Luger. Doink bested Crush. Razor beat Backlund. Money Inc escaped with the belts and Bret was screwed against Yoko.

But hey HULKAMANIA!!!

Valeyard

Reaction score
Still frustrating knowing Savage was right there.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Only for another week. Even though his departure was a surprise, I can assume that negotiations were going poorly enough that Vince probably didn’t want to give him any extra pay days.

Valeyard

Reaction score
This was booked far enough in advance to make it still very frustrating, though. Like, I can almost see why Vince wouldn't want to push him on TV anymore in a sense but he could totally have popped all kinds of house shows.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This was booked far enough in advance to make it still very frustrating, though. Like, I can almost see why Vince wouldn't want to push him on TV anymore in a sense but he could totally have popped all kinds of house shows.
Opposite view: He didn't even "pop" houses when he was Champ in 92 and his Dusty B-show run was also reported to be a box office dud.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Image_20221024_0016.jpg

1996 Shawn Michaels Vs Sting would've been an incredible match.

A Diesel Vs Hogan match...not so much. After seeing their rematches, the Fingerpoke of Doom didn't seem so bad!

Valeyard

Reaction score
Opposite view: He didn't even "pop" houses when he was Champ in 92 and his Dusty B-show run was also reported to be a box office dud.
The business was in the toilet in 1992 and the Dusty feud was trash. To not use your biggest mainstream name in a meaningful way when business is down, regardless, doesn't make sense.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You know who was an even worse draw on top than Macho Man in 1992? Bret Hart.

I kind of wonder if Undertaker should have been under more consideration to be top guy in ‘93 to ‘95 instead of getting stuck with monster of the month/Andre the Giant memorial role.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He has the same problem of there not being a deep enough heel side and unlike the others I don't think you can book him in more substantial feuds due to the character, at least not for long. But as a kid it always felt weird that Taker had his own universe away from the rest of the main event for years. He'd cameo sometimes as a partner or something but wasn't actually in the title picture until 1996.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
not being a deep enough heel side
Which brings up my #2 complaint about New Generation Era creative behind Macho Man misuse/non-use...how the hell did they not turn Lex Luger back heel after the Lex Express run bombed and was done and over with? Heel side is thin, no one gives an f about Lex as a babyface and Lex is a great heel...WWF even blatantly teases it but swerves us by turning TATANKA. Just maddening.

Heel Lex in '94-'95 WWF really works in my head. He'd have been perfect at being a guy who brags about not being afraid of The Undertaker except he's obviously absolutely terrified of Taker's antics.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Luger was so easy to reheat. He spent all of 1994 being screwed over at every turn, why not turn him by 1995? Tatanka turning was lame, but I think if he turns on Bulldog to set up a Diesel feud everyone is better off than they started.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The business was in the toilet in 1992 and the Dusty feud was trash. To not use your biggest mainstream name in a meaningful way when business is down, regardless, doesn't make sense.
I'm not unconvinced that Savage flaking out a bit in late 90 and asking Vince to retire him so he can get off the roids didn't sour Vince on Macho a bit. Once hot feuds with Snake and Flair failed to recreate Hulkamania, demoting him was easier.
On JR's pod he pretty much says Savage was hard to work with in 1993 as he was hot and bothered over a lot of shit. That had to also weigh into Vince's booking plans, on top of the "New Generation" branding (with Volkoff, Bundy, Backlund, and other hot new comers)

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'd be hard to work with if I was demoted that much, too, though.

I don't necessarily think the initial retirement to try and have kids hurt him however failing to have kids and getting divorced probably did. Like I can see Vince seeing that as a total failure and stars don't fail, pal. Savage wouldn't have gotten the second title run if it was critically damaging. I think Warrior flaking might've hurt him to an extent as well, now that I think about it, like I can see some logic in seeing Savage not drawing as well with his two most notable rivals and peers being gone (one under very negative circumstances) not to mention Liz leaving and derailing the major aspect of his character and feuds.

And, as always, the Slim Jim deal alone should've meant a steady push anyway. I still think Savage likely told Vince he was coming back in 1996 for leverage and Vince was a sucker because the Slim Jim deal would've been huge for the WWF at the time, Vince felt betrayed by someone he really did have some loyalty to, so that's why he got blackballed.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You know who was an even worse draw on top than Macho Man in 1992? Bret Hart.

I kind of wonder if Undertaker should have been under more consideration to be top guy in ‘93 to ‘95 instead of getting stuck with monster of the month/Andre the Giant memorial role.
I'm guessing you mean 94 as Hart only won the title in mid Oct. Yoko is the top guy of 93, primarily working Duggan and Luger.

--
I think Taker is better as the #2 guy and monster killer in this case as Vince needed the top guy to be photogenic and kissing babies.

Taker didn't even do extended promos until 96ish when Bearer was moved from him.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also incidentally this episode was Macho Man’s last TV appearance for WWF.

I was going to say “Scariest thing about the episode was the feature match.” but it was Bob Backlund Vs Lex Luger, which is honestly quite good by late ‘94 RAW main event standards (even if it was probably dull by workrate standards)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

As I say every year when this clip pops up, this was DEVASTATING to 11 year old Brody. Huge Tatanka mark...

Do we have any idea if Tatanka was winning the Royal Rumble rematch before Borga hurt his ankle?

If the idea was to build Borga up to face World champ Luger after WM 10 maybe the scheduled Quake/Borga WM match was going to be a Borga win?

Valeyard

Reaction score
I'm the biggest Borga mark there is so I was totally into him beating Tatanka and moving onto Luger.

Cackling Co Pilot Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If he never gets injured, I am assuming Borga Vs Quake is a Double DQ/Double count out or Borga gets a cheap win with Quake standing tall at the end of the match.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The scary part about this revisionist history is how exactly do you squeeze the hair club for men comedy spot on the show now if Harvey doesn’t have a spot on the show.

very important to retain this.

Maybe you just let Johnny Polo do the spot instead with Mabel chasing him out instead.